Photographers and airport security

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip early next year and I'm doing my research on security post-September 11.
I was planning on taking my photo equipment, not the best but a nice Canon A2, lenses, filters, film, and a tripod.

I went over to photo.net and have read terrible, gruesome accounts over what the security screeners have put people through. That was about to push me over the edge and sell off my film equipment and going digital. If anybody wants to discuss, email me, I'm serious.

Ok, besides that, has anyone had problems with film and photo equipment at the airport? The TSA regulations says you have the right to have your film hand inspected, but that seems to be inconsistent. Also, bringing a tripod as carry-on, would it be considered a weapon? I thought of bringing a monopod and putting it in checked baggage.
I'm even paranoid about my checked baggage. I don't want everything pawed through and my monopod considered "suspicious".
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 12:12 PM
GoTravel

I would call the airport and the airline you are flying on.

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Better than contacting the airline, who has NO control over the TSA's security screeners, contact the FSD (Federal Security Director)'s office at the airports you will be leaving from and ask for advice. They are there to help!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM

After the nightmare experence I just suffered, I would recomend asking in all directions. I had no problem going, but the return, I felt I had lost my citicenship and was treated like a criminal. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and was holding my bare feet off the filthy floor, and after my shoes were cleared they refused to give them to me, then said the had to inspect my bare feet, well, they were right there, but they made me wait and wait. I was in spasms and pain but no one cared. Then I was ordered to the mat where I was molested repeatedly even tho I said yes, I have an underwire bra, one wire under each. We almost missed our plane with these incompetants playing big bad cop. Maybe it's time to realize, Americans arent afraid to fly, but the insane serurity. I'm and old lady, and look like an ordinary grandma. Ive said, at least little old ladies wont get on a plane with out their shoes checked, but never dreamed I'd be one of those little old ladies. I am still ill from the physical and emotional torture and the public humiliation before everyone. My doctor never touches me with disrespect like that. I'm a law abiding 40 year retired cops wife and am terrified to ever fly again. AND, they never check my carry on bag and purse, so what did it have to do with security. If they were afraid of me, how would they have a clue with a focused terriost, I'm still ill from the worst possible end to a perfectly magical vacation, and my finantial gifts to there locals.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM

I keep mine in a carryon. It's always best to buy and develop film on location if you can. I don't trust the equipment.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I'm going to make the jump to digital after a recent experience with a screener. In late March at the Fort Lauderdale airport the screener refused to handcheck my film claiming they are not required to. I kindly asked for him to have his supervisor come over. She said the same thing and to "stop being such a sissy" and that the xrays will not damage my film.

When I get back I take my film to a high-end camera shop where they are as anal about their developing machine as Robin Williams was in "One Hour Photo". I get a call later that day telling me that it appears there's a problem with the film or the camera because all the shots are foggy and have other aberations. I shot another test roll and take it back for development on the same machine and everything is fine.

So I recently sold my Canon Elan 2E and will be purchasing a digital camera soon.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:57 AM

While on a trip out of Chicago -O'Hare I was stopped at security and had to go back and recheck my tripod. I have since traveled with it and have never had this experience. Even the American person that rechecked my tripod said she had seen a lot of tripods go through security - sometimes it is just the luck of the draw.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:31 AM

I've travelled quite a bit since 9/11, and I'm a photographer. I've never had a problem with my camera bag - 2 35 mm camera bodies, a small Olympus point and shoot, several lenses, filters, light meter and loads of film. (No tripod, though.) I always run my film through the X-Ray; I gave up years ago trying to get anyone to hand check the film. Slows things down way too much; plus, in foreign countries, getting a hand check is very difficult. I've never had a problem with fogging.
I always buy fresh film before starting out. If my trip should require several trips through an X-Ray, I'll ship home the used film.