Phoenix to GC to LV

Dec 5th, 2003, 12:25 PM
HMC
Original Poster

Phoenix to GC to LV

My husband & I were wanting to travel from Phoenix to GC & LV within 7 day period in April or May. Any recommendations? What's the weather like there in APril/May? How many days seem appropriate at each place? Airline tickets are cheaper if they are roundtrip from Little Rock, AR to Phoenix, AZ but I was concerned about driving all the way from Phoenix to LV and then traveling back to Phoenix so I was thinking of flying into Las Vegas and driving to GC, then Phoenix to catch a flight back. What is worth seeing in these areas?
Thanks
Dec 5th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Weather in April/May at the GC should be beautiful. LV will be warm, PHX will be hot (100 degrees is not unheard of in April). There are a multitude of things to see between PHX and the GC (Jerome, Sedona, Montezuma's Castle, Oak Creek Canyon, among others). Driving across the Hoover Dam is also worthwhile if you've never seen it. You can see all these things one way from PHX to LV. To simply drive from one city to the other via the most direct route (US 93) takes about 5 hours. Whether it is worth paying more to fly into one city and out of another to save 5 hours only you can answer. As for how much time to budget in each place, it depends on what you want to do. If you are coming to bask in the sun and play golf, spend more time in PHX. If you are coming primarily to see the GC and other natural wonders, spend more time out there. If I were taking the trip I'd probably spend 3-4 nights in N. AZ and the GC, 2-3 nights in LV, and 1-2 nights in a nice Scottsdale resort at the end of your trip (To unwind before going home). Have a nice trip.
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Hi HMC! I'm putting together a similar vacation for my family (me, husband & 16 year old son). We'll be flying out of Newark to Phoenix in April. When we land in Phoenix we're getting a car rental and driving to Sedona (2 1/2 hours) for 2 nights. Then we'll be driving to the Grand Canyon (2 1/2 hours) for 2 nights. After that, we'll head off for Vegas (5+ hours) for 4 nights... then fly out of Vegas airport home....By the way, my airfare for flying to Phoenix and returning home from Las Vegas was the same as flying to and from Vegas.

Good luck
Dec 6th, 2003, 08:28 PM

My husband and I did the same trip during the first week in October. If you click on MarciaK and look at my posts, I think it is #29. It will tell you all about our trip.

We flew into Phoenix and rented a car. We spent two nights in Sedona, one night in GC, one night in Bryce, 1 night in Zion and 2 nights in Las Vegas. Since my husband uses a wheelchair, we did not do any real hiking (I did a little on my own in Zion) so we did not spend more than a full day in each of the parks. Sedona was fantastic and that should definitely be one of your stops. We loved our whole trip.

Just one note, so you are not totally shocked. The car rental prices are very high driving from Phonix to Las Vegas. The auto rental taxes in Phoenix practically double the price of your rental and there is a drop off fee as well. Also, it is alot of driving. I love to drive so I did not mind. We picked up the car in the Phoenix airport and dropped it off when we got to LV. I drove a little over 1100 miles. You really don't need a car if you stay on The Strip.

Let me know if I can be of further help.
Dec 8th, 2003, 04:59 AM
HMC
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I plan this trip.