Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix/ Scottsdale to Vacation and Possibly Live

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Rob

Hello. I am a NYC resident going to the Scottsdale/Phoenix area for a vacation but with ideas for potential move down the line. Simply in a looking phase. Is this area worth it? I am single in early thirties with a good joparalegal)looking for a potential change. Are there good restaurants,bars,economy,etc? Is crime a serious problem? I KNOW housing is cheaper than NYC. It does not take a brain surgeon to make that statement. Getting burnout in the Big Apple and looking for a REAL up and comer. I know these questions are probably meant for a real estate agent but posts on these boards are definitely helpful. Thanks.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:37 AM
scotty

I've never lived in Phoenix/Scottsdale, but I have been there several times on business, so maybe I can help a little.

First of all, there's probably more activity on a single block in Manhattan than there is in all of Phoenix.

Scottsdale is pretty, and mostly upscale. I have found the traffic in the area to be brutual, possibly because the road infrastructure hasn't kept up with growth.

I'm sure others can give you more info, but that's just my 2 cents.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:55 PM
c

I just got back from spending the weekend in Scottsdale. The weather was nice, but getting warm - it was 98 degrees when I left yesterday. Everyone seemed to be complaining about all of the recent major layoffs at some of the big technology companies. And needless to say that these layoffs have affected other industries as well.

But despite the weakened economy, there's little sign of it when you see all of the new construction and recent development of upscale shopping.

Tempe tends to have more of the party scene due to the 45,000 student population at ASU. But the bars and nightclubs in this area tend to cater to the younger college crowd.

You might want to check out the Arizona Republic paper if you want to get an idea of the job and housing markets.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Linda

Rob-Husband & I have just returned from 10 days in Az-Sedona, Flagstaff, Globe, to Tucson, ending in Phoenix. We are in our fifties but very into hiking fishing, etc. If you love the outdoors you will love Az. Phoenix is a location being central located -personally it is too congested and too hot for my taste- Sedona, Wickenburg, Tucson have higher elevations and are a little cooler. I envy you - we are life long Baltimore residents, being relocated to Chicago for five years and then hopefully retiring to Tucson. We looked at the housing in Phoenix and the prices are incredibly better than Balto or Chi. Best of luck!

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:57 PM
lisa

Rob,
I relocated to Phoenix from Chicago in 1997. It is a huge difference. There are lots of people in your age bracket who truly enjoy the lifestyle here. We are casual, love the outdoors, enjoy good weather and have a much more laid back lifestyle than eastern cities. The Scottsdale area is loaded with bars and restaurants that cater to the thirtysomethings. Whether you like the area or not depends on your interests. If you love the theatre, concerts etc. you probably won't like it here. We don't have a ton of the cultural options found in large cities. But if you want a different lifestyle come and check us out.

Our crime consists of mostly drive by shootings and burglary. Sometimes it seems like there is more than other places like Chicago, but maybe that's because we don't really have a lot of other news going on.

Despite its size, Phoenix, has a small town mentality. We're growing and have some growing pains with roads etc., but the area is a great place to live. As you mentioned housing is much cheaper. I left a condo in Chicago and have a home and pool here.

Come for a visit and check out the area.

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:03 PM
hot

It's hot down there.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:04 PM
steve

Come out sometime between July 15 and August 15 and see if you like it.

Of course there isn't as much in Phoenix as in NYC, it's metro population is probably only 10% of NYC. There is more than enough to keep anyone busy.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Mike

People who like PHX value the outdoor activities available, predictable sunshine, low cost of living and very casual attitude about everything.
It is not, however, long on culture. For its size (6th-8th largest metro in the US depending on who you listen to) it really lacks great restaurants. Shopping is decent, but again, it's not NYC or Chicago.
Just depends on what you need to be happy. It's definitely a lot lower stress than NY and other northeast metros.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Rob

I just want to thank people for their interesting and honest answers. Granted, everyone has their own ideas on what makes up a better quality of life but it is always far better to listen to people who have been through the mill before trying it out yourself. Any comments welcome on the subject. Thanks for taking the time.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:10 AM
ddd

In my opinion, there are great restaurants and bars - but at the same time I have never been a city girl. So, my idea of fun and excitement might be a little more mundane than yours. Actually, all the bars in AZ close at 1:00 AM, by law, which is when some people go out in NYC, so that's one interesting point. As far as the economy, you will probably be shocked at the difference in salaries from NYC to AZ. Paralegals who work in Phoenix, or a big Scottsdale firm, probably won't start at much more than about $35,000, and although I'm not sure, I presume the NYC salaries are greater. However, it balances out because if you're thinking of buying a home, that will cost significantly less, where it might be completely unaffordable in NYC. My husband and I (separately, didn't yet know each other) moved here from NJ to go to college, and loved it so much that we never left (we're now 30).

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:47 PM
xxx

Bad economic conditions, prime time tv over by 10 pm and it being legal to carry an unconcealed gun. Not my idea of a great place. And that's before we even discuss the unbearable heat.