Phoenix in 3 weeks - which hotel?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Renee

Phoenix in 3 weeks - which hotel?

We are three young women going for the weekend to Phoenix - closer to Scottsdale than not. We have some business to take care of so mainly looking for a nice upscale hotel to relax in after hectic days. Great pool a plus. Great restaurant/bar also a plus - may entertain relatives at hotel restaurant one night or morning (prefer not outlandishly expensive). Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Arizona/Phoenix at all.

I've gotten good deals at (and all in price range):

Point Hilton Tapatio Cliffs
Point Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Fairmont Scottsdale prnicess (the most expensive on list)
Doubletree La Posada
The Boulders
Rouge Palace

I've heard The Boulders is incredible but maybe better saved when we have more time to enjoy?

Other hotels I should consider? Thanks.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Renee

Forgot to add Arizona Biltmore and Phoenician though not sure if I can get a deal there.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:11 AM
kkj

Personally, I would skip the Boulders and save for later. It's great, but not the most convenient location. The Point Tapitio and the Squaw Peak Hiltons are very nice, but again they are not in prime locations. The Hilton Squaw Peak does have a great pool.

Coming at this time of year you should be able to get a great deal on any hotel. Check out the Scottsdale properties along and nearby Scottsdale Rd. There is the Hyatt Gainey Ranch, Sunburst Resort, Camelback Inn, Radisson Resort, Millenium Resort, Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Of your list, the best you have is the Fairmont Scottsdale. It is great.

Have a good trip and be prepared for heat.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Jan

The Boulders is a must visit at some point, but not a cobnvenient location for business in town.
Phoenician is the best hotel in the metro, but pools are being worked on at present I believe.
Hyatt Gainey Ranch and Princess are next best.
Princess' downsides are it's VERY spread out and many of the rooms are in little buildings like apartments well away from the main hotel and pool. Overall, standard rooms are OK. pool is OK. Grounds nice. It's a hike from the main retail area of Scottsdale.
I'd choose Gainey ranch if pools and beauty of the resort are important (but rooms there are nothing special at all).
The Biltmore is also in a good location, close to great shopping and restaurants, beautiful grounds, nice pool, etc. Many levels of rooms, depending on budget, but they've had good summer rates this year.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Paul

IMHO, the sounds of what you want and need is the Arizona Biltmore. It is interesting, great location for you; and when I visited Scottsdale last February and checked out the many resorts, the Arizona Biltmore looked to be where people were having the most fun.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Renee

Thanks for replies! My friend also asked questions and found out:

- Phoenician is undergoing renovation
- Biltmore big Food and Wine Festival the weekend we are going
- No good package to Gainey ranch
- Some concern about lots of kids at hotels (we are looking for a little more quiet)

So, after all this we booked at The Boulders (our business is in Scottsdale so hopefully not too, too out of the way).

Will give report on return. Thanks for the help!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Gregory

Hi ,
I stayed at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs at the end of June. It is a very good hotel (all suites) spread in the main building and on the hillsides.
There is a good restaurant Diffrent Pointe in Tyme on a hilltop.
There is the main falls water village with two large swimming pools and a 138ft waterslide which was great.There were not a lot of children when i was there. There are also a number of smaller pools spread around the site.
There is also an evening hourly shuttle service to the sqaw Peak resort.
The rooms are very good and have some south western touches.

Regards
Gregory

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Karen

I agree with Paul and feel Arizona Biltmore is the best choice...beautiful amenities, surrounds, restaurants and location. I am sure the wine/food festival is going to be in the west area of hotel, not directly at the hotel. There is so much to do in that location, going to Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix very easy. Biltmore shopping center, upscale, loads of restaurants, movies all very close to the hotel. I've lived here all my life and the Biltmore is the one I would choose.