Philadelphia Trip Report

Search

Philadelphia Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia Trip Report

So, its been my hope for the past few weeks to have some time to write a detailed trip report on our visit to Philadelphia from Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately, work and trying to plan a wedding have gotten in the way.

Before I forget all the details, here is a quick and dirty report on some of the highlights of our long Labor Day weekend trip to Philadelphia, PA:

Valley Forge- Hemmed and hawed about going. Finally decided that we would wonder what we had missed if we hadn't went. Answer= probably not much, but still glad we went. It was the most laidback part of our trip. I would say go if you have a keen interest in American History. If not, skip it.

Independence Hall/Liberty Bell- Not too much to say about these two American symbols except that everyone should see them. Is it wrong that I don't care for the design of the Liberty Bell Center??

Franklin Institute- A big thrill to see the Galileo telescope on one of the last days of the exhibit. The Star Trek exhibit was kinda cool too.

National Constitution Center- Really liked Signers' Hall and Freedom Rising. Wasn't crazy about the rest, but maybe I was just museumed out by that time.

Christ Church Burial Ground- This was close to our hotel. Was peaceful to sit next to Ben and Deborah Franklin's graves and contemplate.

Franklin Court and Betsy Ross House- Both were interesting. Fun walking under the archway to get to Franklin Court. Why didn't anyone at the Betsy Ross House mention that they weren't sure that Betsy had actually lived there? Truth in advertising people!!

Philly Phlash- Great deal. Highly recommended for anyone traveling without a car.

Reading Terminal Market- Loved it. Only sorry that so many of the vendors were closed on Sunday.

The Bourse- Enjoyed lunch and the souvenir shops.

Gigi (restaurant)- Overpriced okay food. I hate dining anywhere with loud music and where I can't read my menu because the only light is coming from votive candles. We dined here because we were tired and we had received a discount coupon from our hotel.

City Tavern- This was our splurge meal. Yummy food. Pricey, but great ambiance. We walked here from our hotel.

Reading Terminal Market- Loved it. Only sorry that so many of the vendors were closed on Sunday. Too bad that we didn't get a chance to buy something from Chocolate by Mueller, but we didn't think chocolate would travel well since we were walking around outside all day.

Jim's Steaks- Took the bus to get to Jim's. Was a fun place to wait in line for our sandwiches. Sat upstairs in time to see the naked bicyclists pedal by! Highly recommended. Walked around South Street for a bit afterwards, then took bus back to hotel.

Holiday Inn Historic District- Three nights at about $240 on Hotwire. Nice place. Restaurant is really overpriced for breakfast, but not much to choose from in the area.

Philadelphia was a great place to visit for a long weekend. The public transportation system is pretty darn good, everyone we met was really nice, and we hope to get back to the area again.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Amy

I'm glad you had a good weekend in Philadelphia--with that special Jim's Steaks sighting.
Best wishes with planning the wedding! (Did you know you can get wedding advice on this forum, too? This is one of my favorites: http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...ding-ideas.cfm Of course, you may have an unlimited budget, but it's got great ideas for lots of things.)
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So....are you recommending Jim's steaks or watchig the "naked Bikers"?
Glad you enjoyed Philadelphia
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

I am recommending Jim's steaks for sure. The naked bicyclists were just an added bonus
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM

Cad- I too LOL the naked bicyclists! I loved the National Constitution Center's Freedom Rising and during the time we were there - there was a special election exhibit which was really cool. Glad you enjoyed your time.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
yk

Cadgirl, thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cad, I saw the naked bicyclists that Sunday night as well. You had a great spot for viewing! Next time, for breakfast, try the Continental at 2nd & Market.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM

Nice trip report, Cadgirl. It sounds like you had an enjoyable time in Philly. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Robyn