Search

Trip Report - Wedding in Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Wedding in Grand Cayman

Hi all -

My husband and I just returned from 9 days on GC. We were married there last Monday (2/12) and had some 33 friends and family join us. It was incredibly spectacular and I'll give you as many details as I can muster.

LOCATION/LOCATION/LOCATION. We chose Grand Cayman as our destination for a number of reasons. First was the accessability from the states - you can get there on a reasonable travel day (relative for carribbean - max 1 connection and no ferries or twin engine planes etc); the price of the airfare; the safety on island; and the availability of $200 range hotel rooms during high season.

Regarding hotel rooms - our crew stayed all over the island.

WESTIN: We were at the Westin. We loved the westin beds, and paid a price for them $430 I think... The rooms were adequate, not spectacular. The pool was probably the best on the island, but strangely enough we didn't swim in the pool once - but used the grounds for some wonderful wedding pictures. The Westin can NOT pour a decent adult beverage to save their lives - so if you expect rum in your $12 rum runner, you may wish to go elsewhere....

MARRIOTT: The marriott, had really nice rooms. But the beach and pool is better at the westin. However, the pool and beach at the marriott are still very nice. Several of the wedding guests stayed at the Marriott - as we also did in Nov when scouting for the wedding. The rooms were large, fresh and the beds were also quite comfy. However, there was an incredible lack of customer service at the marriott when several folks checked in. There were supposed to be 2 rooms for 6 people. One of the rooms was to be a suite. When the six people arrived, the marriott claimed the reservation system had gone down and offered two king beds to the six people. This clearly wansn't going to work... It took some 3 days for the marriott to finally get everyone the rooms they ordered.... Much frustration and time was wasted working through this fiasco. The marriott totally blew that one... (which is surprising)

BRITANNIA CONDOS: Other folks stayed at the Britannia Condo's affiliated with the Hyatt. The condo itself was huge and beautiful - had 4 bedrooms and three bathrooms. It was on the waterway and was just lovely. Included a kitchen which saved cash on lunches and breakfasts. However, the condos were about a mile or so from the beach. This is obviously less convenient....and probably the only drawback from this location. We did, however, hang out at the hyatt beach and pool and it was also very nice. The bartenders there know how to pour.... (probably rank the hyatt beach / pool third behind the westin)

MARRIOTT COURTYARD: Others stayed at the Marriott courtyard. They had the bargain of the century. The rooms were nice. Clean but a bit sparce. The ritz it is not, but nearly 1/3 of the price.... The courtyard is just across the street from the public beach - and has a bar within a short walking distance. The drinks are properly made - and reasonably priced for the area... The courtyard also had a nice pool. So... if on a budget - the courtyard wins.

SUNSHINE SUITES: The last of our crew stayed at the sunshine suites across from the westin. This was convenient for us as they just walked across the street to hang out with us. The security crew at the westin were kind - asking that we get our guests westin (blue) towels and not use the sunshine suites yellow/white striped towels while we were using westin chairs etc... While on the topic of the secuirty guards, I did see them kick off some of the cruise ship crowd - who were using the westin chairs / shade and they asked them to move down towards the public portion of the beach...

The sunshine suites were nice. Again, not the ritz or the westin, but they were clean and included a small efficiency kitchen and continental breakfast daily. This could also save you some cash if utilized fully.

That about rounds out the hotels. You've heard me mention saving cash a couple of times so I'll move on to the MONEY topic.

MONEY -- take LOTS of it. The cayman dollar is worth $1.25 US. Not only is the island expensive to begin with, but everything is an additional 25% more. In order to deal with that you can do a couple of things:
1. Grocery shop. There are groceries all over the island. Grab water, snacks, etc and make yourself picinics etc in the room.
2. Alcohol is expensive. The only island I've ever seen where the alcohol is more than at home. You can go to the liquor store and buy rum etc and buy mixers. We even had a couple who bought sports type bottles and made their own drinks - for consumption at the beach.
3. Eat at the lesser expensive locations (coconut joes / eats / lone star grill)
4. If you get a condo - one of the best ideas I ever read was to go to the grocery at home, freeze meat and chicken etc and check a cooler full of frozen meat as one of your checked bags. By the time you arrive, your meat is starting to thaw... We have never done this - but appreciate the idea if renting a condo or traveling with a family.

DINING OUT: Ok - so you gotta eat! We ate at the following restaurants: Calypso Grill - it was very nice - quite romantic and yummy. As it was before the majority of the crew arrived, we had a nice romantic dinner with a very good friend couple of ours... Calypso is a higher end restaurant. With drinks, appetizers, main courses and one dessert, it was $280 for 4. We had no wine and a few well drinks. I had mixed fish, fiancee had lobster in shrimp in a cream champagne sauce. Yummy but expensive.

Next night we gathered nearly the entire crew and met at Joe's. They were very accomodating for the surprise seating of 30. We all ate and drank and carried on. The waitress was a bit put out - couldn't be bothered with the large group. Food orders got mixed up etc. The manager, however, was very nice and accomodated us no problem. The food at Coconut Joe's is mediocre at the best. Burgers and salads etc is what was ordered. Several folks didn't like what they got - too spicy - not as expected. The ribs, however, were a hit. If you go expecting bar food in the carribbean - you'll be fine. Total tab for 30 was in the neighborhood of $800. (drinks are reasonable and dinners are about $12 Cayman each)

BREEZES in George Town. They are one of our favorites. You have got to have a category 5 hurricane at breezes while on GC! Say hi to Gary the bartender! They have excellent cocktails and the food is quite good as well. We had our rehearsal dinner there -- for 33 people and we had a GREAT time. The managers and employees were spectacular and the food was great. I know it is a bar, but all of our crew really enjoyed the food! We had fresh fish, the rasta pasta, ceasar salad, and a chicken that wasn't on the regular menu. We worked with the Breezes management (thanks again Steve and Joe) and they helped us have a wonderful yet economical rehearsal dinner. We had the 3rd floor room to ourselves and it was a great party. Not only did we eat there for the rehearsal, but we also were there another night with just 4 of us. Again - the food is good - two or three steps up from bar food and the drinks are some of the best on the island! Dinners are roughly $15 each. (fish / pasta / burgers etc).

WHARF: I can not say enough nice things about the wharf. The management team is spectacular, the food is divine and the hospitality of the entire crew is amazing. We had the wedding on the beach by the wharf. This was followed by cocktails (rum runners, cayman sunsets, pina coladas etc) and appetizers on the beach. Appetizers were excellent. Coconut shrimp, philo spinach and goat cheese, mozzarella, basil and tomato on crustini and conch fritters. yummy! All were brought to the crew on the beach by wharf servers. We didn't have to move - except to have our photo's taken!

After many photos and sunsent, we then moved into the restuarant and had dinner, cake and dancing in the restaurant. It is open air and it was an incredible day. The food at the wharf is just wonderful. The crew at the wharf know what they are doing. I highly encourage you to get the pistachio crusted sea bass. One word: YUM!

Cordula and Reno (of the wharf) worked with me via the interent to get everything set up. We visited in November to meet them and confirm. Everything was perfect. They did not miss a detail. They also worked to arrange Michael Lame (spelling?) as our steal drummer during the early part of the evening. He too was excellent. You have never heard here comes the bride until you've heard it on the island, via steal drums, barefoot, with all of your friends and family looking on. Just incredible!!!!

We had the band Heat play after dinner -- at the wharf. They were good - but I WOULD NOT recommend hiring them. They tried to screw us - arriving early and wanting to play 6 - 8 instead of the agreed upon 8 - 10:30. They ended up playing 8:30 - 10:30 with only 3 people instead of the agreed upon 5 people. They sent the others on to the other gig they had double booked with us. While it was frustrating and we ended up paying them all of they money (as we had a premade money order) it was the biggest problem we had... It was not the responsibility of the wharf - it was entirely Heat's responsibility and fault. The manager of the band is Clive Rosteing Do not hire this man....

I've read a couple of postings on fodors and on trip advisor where folks were put off on the price of the wharf and their use of plastic chairs. Well... it is the carribbean and it is an upscale restaurant. Yes, the chairs are plastic. They do have an extensive wine list and the only underground climate controlled wine cellar on the island and incredible food. Add to this the gracious hosts and servers and you have a restaurant not to be missed....

Our bill for the Wharft was exactly as anticipated and discussed with Reno. If you are getting married on GC - call or email cordula or reno. They will take care of you and you need not worry. Believe me!

The next morning the crew awoke and went to CIMBOCO for brunch. This restaurant is affiliated with Breezes - and the same appreciation go to Steve the manager. We had a lovely breakfast- ate off the menu and it was reasonable for the roughly 28 folks who made it to breakfast. Each of the breakfasts were about $8-10 cayman. While breakfast is usually, just eggs and such, they have a few items that spice it up a bit and it is definitely worth a visit. It is across from the marriott / near the pizza hut and the theatres.

We also ate at Paradise - with 4 of us days after the wedding. This is a nice restaurant in Georgetown down a ways from the Hard Rock. It too had the dredded (ha ha) plastic chairs. The food was good - the service was good and the drinks were great. The bill for 4 (8 fruity drinks, 3 appetizers and 4 main courses) was about $300.

HAMMERHEADS: This is a beach bar. A word to the wise: don't take 30 of your closest friends there who are hungry and thirsty. You'll darn near kill the two guys in the kitchen and your meal will take two hours to be delivered in a staggared fashion. To their defense - we didn't warn them - but the place is huge - you would think they had the capacity for the people - but they didn't. If there are a couple of you and you want to enjoy a frosty beverage and have a great view of the sunset then this is the place. This is typical bar food. Stick to the burgers and you'll be fine! The price is what you'd expect.

LONE STAR: This dinner was quiet and simple. One of the more affordable eateries on the island. Dinner there consisted of tacos and nachos. Dinner and cocktails for 4 was about $100. This isn't the classiest place on the island, but it was quick, suited the need and was lesser expensive. They too have the plastic chairs.... The place is kind of a dive - the bathrooms were gross which kinda put me off the food - but I'd already eaten.... Make your own decision here. (Maybe all of the alcohol will kill any germs?)

I think that about covers the food portion of the trip, so speaking of germs I'm going into a less popular topic. Sea Lice or sea itch. One word: YIKES! yes, it is true. I've got them or should I say it? When folks tell you it is something that occurs march through september do NOT believe them. I'm not going to go into the nitty gritty here except to say they itch like hell and are not pretty to look at. You get it by swimming in the larvae of thimble jellyfish. Doensn't that sound wonderful? They get stuck in your baithing suit and bite (or sting?) and this causes red itchy as hell bumps all over the area where your suit was. Taking off your suit and washing is the only escape. Also - wearing your suit again - even after dry may not eliminate the little creatures. A word to the wise -- women -- do not wear a one piece. They get in there and don't come out. Those who had on two pieces were lesser effected. Now: not all 30 of us were affected, only a handful. Who knows how or why - I'm just giving the details. Maybe only the handful of us were swimming over the coral where the jellyfish were spawned? I don't know but it isn't comfortable, nor pretty....

I think I was first infected at the stingray city snorkel spot -- just a ways off the stingray city sand bar. But I also got more bites after hanging out on 7 mile beach near the westin. After getting home and reading on the internet to decipher what I'd gotten I learned that I could have "reinfected" myself by wearing the same baithing suit again? YUUUUCK!!! Or the critters could have been at 7 mile beach. I know - not good - but trying to be helpful here. Note the husband didn't get a single bite.... (?)

STINGRAY CITY: We hired Moby Dick to take the crew to stingray city. They cut us a bargain - due to the number of people and the timing -- 1pm on a Sat. They were very professional and informative. It was fun. You can not believe how aggressive the stingrays are! I'm used to creatures in the sea being afraid of me and these darn things nearly knock you over looking for / anticipating food!

PHOTOGRAPHER: We hired David Wolfe. His was on time, professional, has a good eye and delivered just what he promised and was asked. His web site is very good indication of his skills and service. His price was exactly as discussed and we LOVE our pictures!

FLOWERS: We used Trisha's roses and we were helped by Del. She was just great. Everything was delivered as discussed and on time. My flowers were beautiful. Del also helped us locate the MINISTER: Reverend Meghoo. They both provided us exactly what we had asked for and discussed.

RENTAL CARS: Be sure to rent a car while on the island. Cabs can be expensive unless you plan on staying put at the beach. The town is safe - you can surely walk anywhere - but why bother? You are on vacation! Drive on the left!

Overall - highly recommend the destination wedding and Grand Cayman. All of the vendors (except HEAT) were extremely professional and were all on time and delivered what was promised. The location was great the food was great and the fact that our friends and family all came down to join us was just perfect.

If anyone has any questions - please feel free to post and ask. I'd be glad to help. Thanks to all who helped me along the way!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
owa

Wow! For anyone looking for a detailed report on getting married on GC, you gave it. I'm not, and I enjoyed it very much.

I have never encountered sea lice. Sounds horrible. I have enough trouble with bug bites. Thanks again, Owa

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM

gidget, what a great and detailed trip report, and so timely for me as i am just beginning to plan a trip to the caymans. as soon as i know enough to ask some good questions i will be back to this thread.
glad your big day/week was such a success!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Great trip report!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:09 AM

gidget, thanks for much for posting your detailed trip report. congrats on a wonderful beginning to your married life!

Was it difficult getting everybody rounded up from the various hotel locations? What parts of the country were you, your friends, and family flying from, and did you all fly the same airline?

Hope that nasty sea lice clears up. I've been stung by a jellyfish before but nothing nearly so uncomfortable as what you're describing. Yikes!

Thanks again for posting your wedding details and for being so balanced in your evaluation of the little ups and downs.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

ejcrow -

Friends and family came from MI, IL, NY, PA, CO, and FL. Their travel itineraries were their own concern... as I had enough to organize!!

I was quite detailed providing a printed itinerary to each guest in their gift bag upon arrival. We also used our own private web site for the last 6 months so everyone had info on the hotels, itinerary, other things to do, who was staying where for what duration etc. I also put up pictures of everyone so that when they bumped into each other in the airport, beach or bar - they'd recognize each other and be more comfortable in sharing a taxi or a frosty beverage!

Everyone knew what we were doing and when we were going. There was little ambiguity as to what the event of the day was, where you had to be, what time and whether you had to 'pre register' and who was expected to pay (politely, of course)

Some folks got cars, others took taxis. Oh yeah -- there is a bus system that is $2 cayman that some of the folks took occasionally to combat the high price of taxis. So, everyone figured it out. If you are thinking of an event like this -- I'd recommend a printed itinerary that gives all of the details. Folks can then decide to come or not and arrange for their own transport....

While I'm thinking of it, note that American Air gives 10% off for wedding parties - check their web site and they'll give you a coupon code after you register your event.

Some used AA per the discount, others used expedia / travelocity and got GREAT deals late in December (hotel + airfare for near the price of airfare alone).

I hope this helps...

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:26 AM

gidget, thanks for the follow-up. sounds like you really did it right! My husband and I got married in Antigua in 2003 with about 40 friends & family members, but we all stayed in the same hotel. I did do all of the organizing in terms of transportation (even got a great deal from AA, better than their wedding/group 10% offer), but since we were all in one place upon arrival that made it much easier for me than for you! I was mostly just curious how you handled things--I love your idea about the pre-wedding website.