philadelphia info

Old May 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philadelphia info

Can anyone tell me how much time to budget for the historic area of Philadelphia? Would like to do Constitution Hall, Liberty Bell, Christ Church, etc. Will it take more than one day? How long should we budget for the Mutter Museum? Which hotel would you rather stay at: Omni or Sheraton Society Hill? Is the Thomas Bond House worth the expense?
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:53 PM

We recently did the Visitors Center, Constitution Center, and Christ's Church in one day. We also had a wonderful lunch. We did not do Independance Hall or the Liberty Bell though.We aslso wanted to do the museum in Franklin Court, but it wasn't open. It depends on what kind of pace you want to set for yourself.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:57 PM
J62

Half a day is more than enough to see the Liberty Bell and take the Independence Hall tour.

Also on the mall is the US Mint. You need to arrange a tour through your congressional representative - this requires about 2 weeks notice for security reasons.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Amy

If you'd like to go to the Constitution Center (which I recommend) in addition to Independence Hall/Liberty Bell and Christ Church you may want more than a day as security for Independence Hall can take a bit of time. There are many other sites within walking distance as well, and the new Visitors' Center has walking guides.

I'm sorry I can't help with the hotels as I'm a resident but the Omni is a great location for what you want to do.

Happy journey!
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM
J62

The Omni is a fantastic location and a comfortable hotel. There's a diner a few doors down (towards Independence Hall) that's perfect for breakfast. It was fun to be able to walk just one block and see the Liberty Bell at night and at the crack of dawn.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:55 PM

Our family (incl. 2 kids ages 12 and 14) just spent 2 nights in Philadelphia about a month ago. Our trip was short and we didn't see "everything", but here are a few notes:

Independence Hall - you need to get timed entry tickets (free) from the Visitor Center. I suggest you do this first thing on the day you are exploring the historic area. I don't remember the exact time we were at the Visitor Center, but I'll guess around 10:30 am or 11:00 or so and we got the LAST tour that was available that day at 4:15

National Constitution Center - this place was much more interesting than I expected it to be. We probably spent a good two hours here.

Mutter Museum - this was at the top of the list for the kids before we left - they were anxious to see it based on the description, but I think they were a little disappointed. I would still recommend going, but it was a little expensive for a family of four for what was there. We spent about an hour or so here. Since this is not in the historic district, and I'm not sure how much travel time to tell you to figure on.

Hotel - we stayed at the Holiday Inn Historic district at 4th and Arch. Location was good, price through Hotwire was great ($62), room was adequate.

South Street - On your other post you mention wanting the city experience for your kids. We walked down to South Street for dinner one night and wandered in and out of the shops there. This is an area you would describe, I guess, as "eclectic". My kids thought this street was great, and wanted to go back.

Chinatown - we walked to Chinatown for lunch one day. A good "city experience" and a good meal!

Reading Terminal Market - we ate breakfast here on the day we checked out and were leaving. Another good "city experience" and good food.

US Mint - I tried but was not able to get a tour scheduled through my congrssional office. However the woman who was handling this told me that starting April 1 public tours are back on, and you no longer have to schedule through a member of Congress. I am only repeating what I was told and cannot vouch for the accuracy - I did not check up on this and we did not go to the Mint.