Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning questions for long weekend in Philadelphia.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are four fun women, going to Philadelphia for a long weekend Nov 3-7. We did a search and came up with great tips about what to do, where to eat, etc. and have a few questions.

Our first day (Fri), we want to go to Independence Hall and Constitution Center . . . it is better to visit one first and which one? One of us is a teacher and will not want to blow through like the other three of us . . . how much time do you think we should allot for these two. We're trying to decide if we should just do those two places or if we should plan other things?

We want to go to Reading Terminal Sat a.m., the Italian Market in the afternoon . . . is there anything close to the Italian Mkt area that we should see while we're there?

We're thinking we should do South Philly in the evening . . . good plan?

OK . . . for Sun . . . we won't have a car, are the historic mansions (Fairmont Park) easy to get to by public transportation? How about the Battleship NJ?

We have until 2:00 p. on Monday, we thought we might take in a museum that day . . . are they all open Mondays?

If anyone has any suggestions to how we can see more/do more, make the most of our time, we'd really appreciate your advice. It is our first trip there for all of us.

Thanks in advance,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM
yk

Hi Sandy-

You'll need to obtain a free timed-ticket to get inside Independence Hall. You can pick up the ticekts at the Visitors Center.
http://www.nps.gov/inde/indep-hall.html

Your best bet will be go to the Visitors Center first and see what time slot you are assigned for the Independence Hall, and plan your day around it.

I can't think of anything particular around the Italian Market - except stopping by Geno's or Pat's for some authentic Philly's Cheesesteak.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go to South Philly in the evening (or even going at all)?!

The mansions at Fairmont Park are not easy to get to by public transportation. I've been to 1 or 2 of them, but rather underwhelmed. Don't expect them to be like the Newport Mansions. I'd say, skip them.

I think the Philadelphia Museum of Art is a must-see, but it's closed on Mondays. You should go on Sunday instead - better yet, Sundays are "pay-as-you-wish."

You can go to USS New Jersey Monday morning. You can take the ferry across to Camden.
http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/i...?fa=directions

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip to Philly!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you yk . . . this is exactly the kind of info we were hoping to get. Sometimes our plans look better on paper than they actually turn out to be. OK, scratching the historic homes, putting in the museum, moving B'ship NJ to Monday . . . any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM

What you might enjoy on Monday is taking the local train up to Chestnut Hill, a very attractive neighborhood with lots of beautiful homes and interesting shops along its main street (Germantown Avenue). It's about 30 minutes from Center City, regular trains go there all day.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Constitution Center can take quite a bit of time if you really stop and read everything and take part in all the interactive displays. The city is celebrating Ben Franklin's 300 birthday with some special displays also. You can also walk over to visit his grave. They have maps available of the historic sites.
As previously stated, start out at the Visitors Center to get your tickets for Independence Hall. Everything is right in that area. Don't forget to visit the Liberty Bell.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure what your pleasures are, but one of our favorite things to do when we go to Philly is just walk and walk and walk. You can spend 3-4 hours on various walking tours in the Society Hill area, etc. Quite wonderful old rowhouses, reminsicent of Georgetown. Any good hotel should be able to give you a couple of good walking tour maps. One of the handsome squares, e.g. is Rittenhouse Square. Very surprised none of the other responders mentioned it. Handsome square, wonderful streets all around (lots of shopping, but we're not shoppers), plenty of good restaurants, etc.
If you're active types, you might enjoy biking along the Schuylkill River.
I agree that the Art Museum is a must-- and that the mansions should be skipped.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:44 PM

p.s. South Street, by the way, might be a fun place to stroll for a couple of hours, depending on what your tastes are. It's extremely funky and almost "crutsy," but there's a lot of colorful people and weird shops. In good weather it's always sort of "hopping."

Main thing: do not miss strolling the historic districts-- I mean the nifty residential areas as well as Independence Square, etc. Some great old cemeteries, for instance.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM

On Friday I would also plan on seeing the Betsy Ross house on Arch St and maybe Elfreth's Alley where there is a small museum. This all can be done easily in a day. There are carriage rides in the historic district that might be fun also. And in the evening there is a tour that uses light images projected onto historic buildings that is supposed to be quite good.

Many of Philadelphia's great restaurants are BYOB so check on where you're going & bring some wine along. Finally, be sure to check out Capogiro a phenomenal gelato place at 13th & Sansom.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM

have fun. i'm a local so i'll try to help. Of course you should have a cheesesteak your first time. pat's and geno's are good for the atmosphere, especially when the bars let out, quite a show. There both 24 hrs. so go whenever. There at 9th and passyunk in south philly, across the street from each other. if you don't make it there, Jim's on south street and Tony Likes on Oregon ave are also weel known(and good). I love the Italian Market and still shop there. go into DiBruno's house of cheese and Claudio's. Amazing cheese and italian spec. shops. The smell alone in there. a few door down from dibruno'scheese shop is their newer shop Pronto. It has prepared food like pizzas and panninis if you want a quick lunch you can eat outside. Around the market on Catharine Street, Isgro's is well known bakery worth stopping in. Another is Termini's on 8th street but they have a counter in the Reading Terminal so you can check it out there. Both are known for amazing cannoli's.
for sit down dining, there are some really eclectic new rest. around. People rave about the asian fusion Steven Starr rest. Budakkon, I think on Chestnut. I love another Steven Starr rest called The Continental. it's at the corner of 2nd and Market. the front is like a funky diner and toward the back is more like a cool martini bar with a fun alacarte continental menu. great for ordering several different things and then sharing. if you like mexican, a great little place is actually right near the Italian Market. If you walk south on 9th street, you will come to Washington ave. look for Taqueria Veracruzana. It's small but clean and fresh and authentic. Doesn't look like much from the outside but had been voted best of philly a few times.
One more thing, a cool museum called the Mutter museum is open on monday's at 10 am. it is located at the college of physicians around 19th street(www.collphyphil.org)and has all historic medical equipment, medical oddities, skeletons, and all kinds of interesting things. was listed somewhere as things to see before you die.
have fun
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:48 PM
yk

Sandy-

Each month, the first Friday in Philly is known as, well, "First Friday," on which the art galleries in the Old City district open late and a lot have wine and cheese also. If you're into art galleries, it's worth checking out.

http://www.gophila.com/culturefiles/...s/firstfriday/
http://www.oldcityarts.org/start.html
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Dear Sandy_b,

Good afternoon! I think the Franklin Institute (link below) is one of the coolest things in Philadelphia-it sounds like youve already got a lot planned but if you find time I think its totally worthwhile! Have a fun and safe trip!

http://www.fi.edu/

Sincerely, Carrie

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh Boy! We've now scratched the B'ship NY and put in Chestnut Hill . . . and, we're makin' sure we all pack comfy shoes and elastic waist pants (for all the eating we'll have to do) . . . we'll have to sample EVERYTHING to make sure we don't miss ANYTHING and to keep our strength up for all the walking we're goin' to be doin'.

We're fast in museums so along with the Phil. Mus. of Art, we're even throwin' in the Rodin or the Franklin.

We can rest (and diet) at home . . . thanks for all the great tips.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM

If you go to Chestnut Hill, best to take the Chestnut Hill West line...it will put you right on Germantown Avenue. The shops are mostly along the avenue, from just above the train station down to about Willow Grove Ave. Go down one side and back the other.
To look at homes, walk down Evergreen Ave (near the train station) to Prospect Ave, turn right, wander down to Gravers Lane, turn right again and wander back to Germantown Ave. Or go down Rex Ave to the end (where you will come to a large, elegant stone home owned by a well-known TV and movie actor/star...who knows you may even run into him at the local Wawa on Highland Ave).
Along Germantown Avenue, on the opposite side of the street from the train station is Bird in Hand, the local charity shop and you can find some very interesting items there, sometimes at excellent prices. On other side of the ave (same side as the train station), there are a couple of beautiful crafts shops, one "above" the train station, one below. There's also a Chico's right by the train station, if you shop with them, bring your coupon. It's one of only a few chain shops on the Hill.
My favorite Center City walk was Delancey from 2nd up to 5th or 6th, then Pine up to 17th, then back up Delancey to 22nd. The 2000 block of Delancey was home to the Bruce Willis' character in The Sixth Sense (we lived up the street on the 2100 block of Spruce Street while they were filming).
Have fun and hope the weather cooperates with your trip!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:03 PM

I would highly highly recommend that you take one of the trolley tours very early in your trip because it will give you a nice overview of the city, help you get your bearings and the tour guides are funny & informative. The tour takes 90 minutes but once you have purchased your ticket you can hop on and off the trolley all day long.

Have fune!

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM

The Franklin Institute has a special exibition right now called Body World or something like that. It's supposed to be VERY interesting.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:12 AM

I don't really have anything to ad except that we were in Phili this past summer and even in the heat I couldn't believe how much I loved that city. We stayed at the Sofitel. The beds were more comfortable than my own bed at home. The service was fabulous. We found everyone in this city accomodating, from wait staff to store clerks to everyone in our hotel.... Next year for our shopping/museum/walking weekend I am definately going back to Phili instead of NY or Boston.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM
pat

Ykou might think of doing the duck tour, when you first arrive, to get an overview of the city.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:44 PM

You might consider a visit to the Barnes Foundation. It is an art museum in the suburbs of Philly. It's about 15 minutes from downtown. It has one of the best collections of late 19th-early 20th French paintings in the world. Not only that, it's housed in Barnes' old mansion; he specified where each painting has to hang. It is a one of a kind experience. Here's the link. http://www.barnesfoundation.org/

Since there are 4 of you, you could probably take a cab for about $20 each way. The Philadelphia Art Museum is a great physical building, and the collection is vast, and the jewel-box Rodin is nearby, but if you like Renoir and Rousseau and company, then the Barnes is your place.

Another odd museum is the Mutter Medical Museum. It's not far from the Philadelphia Art Museum. It's a very strange, morbid place that is definitely not up everyone's alley. It's a museum of medical oddities.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
TKT

For Indepdence hall or other historic places they are stricter now then pre- 9/11 and it's good to check out their rules.

For a fun night out of music (jazz/Blues)I like Zanzibarblue.com
and warmdaddys.com. Zanzibar is more of a dress up place and pricier.

I like Blue N green for breakfast and Pizzacato for dinner-both near Independence Hall.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Sandy,

Another recommendation for taking a bus tour of Philly. It's a great way to get a nice overview of the city. The philadelphia trolley tour and the Big Bus double decker tours are both good.

http://www.phillytour.com/index.asp

http://www.bigbustours.com/phila/html/phila_home.html

The Italian Market is a Philly institution. In addition to Pat's and Geno's you also might want to check out Ralph's or Tre Scalini while you are in South Philly. Tre Scalini is actually a BYOB.

The Mutter Museum, as someone else mentioned, is quite interesting.

http://www.collphyphil.org/index.htm

Have a great time in Philadelphia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -