philadelphia day trip

Search

philadelphia day trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philadelphia day trip

I have never been to philly and just curious what are the must see things if I just have one day there.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

any recommendations?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM

I was in Philly just one day and concentrated my efforts on the downtown area. I started out with the Liberty Bell and then Independence Hall. Afterwards, I took the trolley tour and got off at a couple of spots to walk around for a bit. Took a short walk on South St and also walked Efret's Alley.

I'm sure others may have more ideas.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:49 PM

There is so much to see in Philly. It goes beyong Independence Hall or the Liberty Bell. What are your interests? In addition to the two famous sites I just mentined, the National Constitution Center is very nice as is the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Rittenhouse Square, South Street, the italian Market, etc.. What type of food do you like? Philly is a great restaurant city.

www.gophila.com has more information. For a one day tour I'd suggest a bus tour, either the Big Bus or Philadelphia Trolley Tour to get an overview of Philly.

http://www.bigbus.co.uk/phila/html/phila_our_tours.html

http://www.phillytour.com/trolley.htm
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM

In descending order of recommendation:

1) Independence Hall (must see for all Americans -- this IS, after all, where we got the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights)
2) Constitution Center
3) Franklin Court
4) Art Museum (you'll need to take the bus from Center City to see this, but it makes a great second part of a day trip *IF* you have the time).
5) City Hall (ONLY on a clear day, and only for the view a the top. It's ten blocks from Independence Hall)

Don't forget to have a real Philly cheese steak while here.

There's no record that the bell that hung in Independence Hall was rung on July 4th, 1776. That's why the city almost sold it as scrap metal in the 1840s. Its transformation into an icon did not occur till the decade after that.

The story that Betsy Ross (which was not her name in 1777) made the first American flag is an obvious hoax. She never lived at the placed called the Betsy Ross House.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thx for the replies guys,to answer some of the questions I guess what I really want to do in the one day I will have is to see the things that make philadelphia unique,I think the bus tour sounds really good.And yes I will have to try a philly cheese steak.I love italian food as well,so that sounds like I'll have to try the italian market.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM
emd

gman, you could easily go to Independence Hall (I think that now houses the Liberty Bell, in an enclosed exhibit; unfortunately you can't get that close to it now like you used to be able to do), Franklin Court, drive or taxi (don't know that the trolley would get you to these places) to the Italian Market area and get a cheese steak at Pat's or Geno's (the dueling rivalry goes on as to which one is best, so much so that the political candidates have to eat at both although they are across the street from each other) and then walk a few blocks to the Italian Market to shop for pepperoni (the best in the U.S., take back several lbs and it will keep for long time, you'll use it up) and cheese, spices, pasta, etc. That's a pretty good day in Philly. You oculd walk South St at night and have dinner there. You have to decide now after the suggestions what it is that you don't want to miss, and plan to go back later for the rest! When you have the time, it's a GREAT city to walk walk walk in.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
yk

gman-

Just to clarify about the Independence National Historic Park area:
http://www.nps.gov/inde/

To visit the Independence Hall- you need to get a FREE timed ticket from the Visitor Center (2 blocks away). Once you get in, you will get a free guided tour by the National Park Service and see the various rooms inside.

To visit the Liberty Bell - again free, but no tickets required. The Liberty Bell was recently moved to its new home, which is much more spacious with a lot more illustrations. You can get as close to the bell as about 2 feet.

The National Constitution Center was just opened on July 4th, 2003. I haven't been there yet but heard great things about it.

All the above are within 2 blocks of each other. If you get in early in the day, you can finish by lunch time.

You can either take the trolley, or the Duck Tour to get around.

If you like art, here are 2 suggestions:
1. Philadelphia Museum of Art - on top of their permanent exhibition, they have a special exhibit right now called "Manet & the Sea" until end of May, after which it will go to Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.
http://www.philamuseum.org/

2. UPenn Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology - special exhibit right now called "Treasures from the Royal Tombs of Ur".
http://www.museum.upenn.edu/
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM

Has anybody visited the Barnes Foundation? It's one of the best private arts collection in the US, but has gone bankrupt and may move to Central Philly. Haven't been there myself, but has heard a lot about it recently.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:40 PM

About the Barnes Foundation:

The Foundation has been arguing in court for years how they intend to get out of bankruptcy. The museum is still open, and any move is still a long way off.

I've been there and, if you are into Renoir, it cannot be beat. It also has several other Impressionists and a good collection of African art -- usually right next to a French Impressionist. Barnes never allowed any of his art to leave the museum or even to be photographed for use in books on art history; so there's a lot here that you can ONLY see here.

But, as noted, you must reserve a timed ticket to visit AND to park. The place is usually booked weeks in advance.

The rule against taking photos is EXTREMELY strict; they even confiscate video cell phones before you're allowed in.

When displaying art, Barnes very proudly went against every "rule" about doing so. Don't be flustered when you don't have much guidance about a specific painting or statue; that's exactly how Barnes wanted it.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

also just wondering if I wanted to see a phillies game,is the stadium in the city?Is it close to public transit?
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:17 PM

Citizens Bank Ballpark is in South Philadelphia on the Broad Street subway line. If you are downtown , take the Broad Street subway sothbound to the end of the line (Pattison Avenue) and the stadium is right there.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

^
thx a lot!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Your welcome!

Have fun in Philly.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:08 AM

I always love to take people to Reading Terminal market and Chinatown also. I like going to Reading Terminal more than the Italian Market.
For one day, go for the double-decker bus or trolly tours. THey are hop-on, hop-off, so you're also getting your transportation for the day. There's also a Phlash bus that's only $4 or $5 for a day's worth of rides, gets you to most places you'd want to go.