Philadelphia and NewYork combo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I should share the joys and benefits of a long weekend split between Philadelphia and New York.

I was having a lousy week at work and had already booked a long weekend (first week in Nov), the weather in UK was cold and wet and I'd had a row with partner who was away with work that weekend too. So, on hearing yet again about the great rates for £vs$ (over $2 to one £ at the time) I went straight from work to the travel agents and asked what flights they had for the next day to NY. I know this goes against good ethics and against all good advice about planning a trip and looking forward to the journey but it was what I needed at the time. The agent had nothing to NY but had a great deal (£262 with USAirways from Manchester into Philadelphia) So with flight booked I got home and checked on here and Tripadvisor and managed to get the last room at the Alexander Inn in Philadelphia for a great rate (just £55 for the Friday night). As this was so cheap I booked a room at City Club Hotel in NY for the Saturday night (£££ but I forget the exact price). Then on to Amtrak and very easy booking of return train for such a great price that I upgraded my seats. (A top tip here if you are travelling on Virgin trains here in UK on a Sunday you can upgrade to first class just by finding a seat in first class and paying £15 to the ticket guy when he comes round to check your ticket)

So back to my guilty weekend - the flight was great - no complaints whatsoever and I used the time to read my guide book on Philadelphia. Also there were none of the hold-ups at immigration that we've been led to expect when we visit, which was a pleasant surprise having sttod in line at JFK more than once. I was very pleased with myself in negotiating the subway to the hotel. The Alexander was excellent - well located with great staff who were v friendly and helpful. So the room wasn't great but for the rate and location it was excellent and I'd thoroughly recommend it. The first thing I did was walk to the museum of art. This was definately the best thing about my trip as it came as such a surprise to find what must be one of the best collections in the world combined on the Friday night with such a brilliant atmosphere created by the live music and the chance to sit and have a drink. Being able to sit on the huge, wide and crowded staircase, glass of wine in hand and just soak up the atmosphere of such a great, great occasion was a very special feeling - and then to walk out the front doors and see the lights of the city spread out in front of you!! superb - I don't think we have anything quite like this in UK.

That night I hunted out the best local cheesesteak (wid) which was great fun - I guess much like our fish and chips and also a must-do.

The next day up very early to be one of the first in line for the tour of Independence Hall, which I guess is another must-do, I'm ashamed to say I didn't own up to being the only Brit there. After that a walk round Society Hill and up to the oldest continuously habited street in America, which was lovely. Then a walk to Reading market for lunch - again an unmissable experience. After that a quick chance to scope out the shops for Sunday afternoon.

The train was fine and got me to NY mid afternoon. City Club Hotel was lovely, a great room and yes it was dark and masculine but I loved it. The location is perfect so I hit the 5th Avenue shops and bought all the Christmas presents I needed and my wardrobe for the next 2 years!!

As I'd eaten so cheaply in Philadelphia I ate in the DB Bistro Moderne in the hotel. It was packed and so I had to eat at a group table by the bar, but the food was lovely and it was great just being able to watch things going on. (I hardly ever travel on my own so it made an unusual, but not at all unpleasant, change).

Breakfast the next morning was a let down as I sat in the restaurant for several minutes and was ignored so I went down the street and had bacon, pancakes, maple syrup (mmmmmm) and cheap coffee (yuck). There was just time for a quick explore - just being back in NY was lovely and it was a brilliant cold clear sunny day - before the train back to Philadelphia and some last minute Sunday afternoon shopping, then some more shopping...and a little bit more...and some more at the airport (aaarrggghhh!).

The main point of the post is not to gloat about the great exchange rate but to advocate this combination of cities - the laid back, easygoing calm and charm, the best history you can get in the US and a worldbeating experience at the museum of art in Philadelphia and then just a short train trip away the buzz and vitality and sheer excitement of NY. Sure, I wouldn't advocate such a short trip but I didn't travel much last year and I bought lots of things I needed at good prices. It was so good we're both coming back in the fall and doing the same thing and Washington and Chicago too.

Hope this is useful.

Tim
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Tim, I like your style. There was a special section on "get up and go" stories in one of the travel mags I subscribe to ... I think it was Nat. Geographic Traveler. Glad you had a great time.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
GBC

We live near Philadelphia and agree that the city has a lot to offer. Really glad that you enjoyed your get-a-way.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM

So, tjhome - where is the best cheesesteak in Phila?

(I already know the answer )
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
tjhome1,

Great report!!!

I was in NYC & Philadelphia (first time in Philadelphia) with my wife in September. We took the train from NYC to Philadelphia and it was great.

Of course, we were flying to and from South Florida but still a great combination.

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
karens,

We walked down to Jim's and it was almost disappointing.

No, not the cheesesteak but the process. It was almost too civil.

I thought we'd be slopping all over the place. Dripping and trying to kerep it from landing on us.

The even have a room upstairs with tables and chairs.

Oh yes, my wife decided she would do the ordering and she did it in "English". She had no trouble with "not ordering correctly".

The cheesesteak itself was very good.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:54 AM

Myer - we think Jim's is the best!

We tried Geno's last summer to be open-minded, and the guy did yell at my son to order faste. And my son does know how to order a cheesesteak!

At Jim's you also miss the experience of having to eat outside with pigeons all around. (And no bathroom access).

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:01 AM

tjhome:

Nice report! I live about 1 1/2 hours from Philly and never have done that city! I think you gave me some great ideas for a winter gett-a-way!

PS: Go ahead Gloat about the exchange rate....I use to remember those early trips to Europe when the dollar was king!!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I went to Jim's. I loved it...sitting at the bar downstairs watching all the action and a queue that just grew and grew. Am going to try Cosmi's S.8th St when we're back in September
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Amy

What a lovely post! It makes me happy to see other people enjoying my beloved Philadelphia.

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Fun trip...

I too used to spontaneously go to Philadelphia (although from much closer) when I lived in Baltimore for an urban getaway. I too always enjoyed myself: art museum, Reading Terminal, South St., Italian Market... it's a fun town !
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM

i have now lived outside of philly for the past few years and have to admit, i haven't been to the historical attractions since high school trip a million years ago!

I have always been partial to NY and i am still a giant's and mets fan living deep in philly territory!

i had to go into philly for work about 2 months ago. i went to the park and ride and took the train, free parking and a 5 dollar round trip ticket. it was so easy and i can't believe i haven't experienced philly more. i plan to now that i know the train to philly is as easy as the train to nyc.