Search

Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
blu
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia

This is our first time to Philadelphia. Could anyone give me suggestions as to a nice hotel that would be around $100 a night (clean) and within walking distance to various attractions, restaurants, etc. Also, how to get to NYC?? Any information on going there for the first time would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM

When will you be there? How many beds do you need?

There are several ways to get to NYC. Bus, Amtrak or SEPTA to Trenton, NJ and then NJ Transit.

I recommend you get a guidebook and start reviewing it. You can get them free at the library.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We went to Philadelphis after spending a few days in NYC.

We took the train. It was very conveient at both ends.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
blu
Original Poster

we are going July 21-26, 2010. Can you give me ideas as to hotels ($100 or less) that are in a good location for walking to different sites, etc. Also, which train (Amtrak or?) did you take from NYC? Also, what did you do and see in Philly and where did you stay?
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM

$100. is VERY low for a big city, and again:
HOW MANY PEOPLE?
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM

You will want to pick a place to stay within the downtown area, bounded roughly by I-676 to the north, South Street to the south, and the water to the east and west. This would include areas such as Old City, Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square West, Society Hill, and Penn Center.

You will likely find it really tough to get a room in the price range you want, though. The cheapest place I've found to stay in this general area is the Alexander Inn.

For food and attractions, please do a site search here. There's a ton of good info on this city to be found on this forum.
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:03 AM

For transportation between NYC and Philly, AMTRAK is a good option, as are buses such as Megabus, Bolt Bus, and Greyhound.
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Check out the Holiday Inn Express at Walnut and 13th Street. Great location.

To get to Manhattan take the Amtrak from 30th Street Station to Penn Station.

And, yes, you can take a bus to NYC from the bus station in Chinatown.

Thin
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM

http://www.gotobus.com/busstation/142411.html

Thin
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
blu
Original Poster

My husband and myself are going (2). Is the Center City West and East an area good to stay at? I can possibly get through Hotwire.com the hotel Club Quarters? Do you know how that hotel is and if the location of that hotel is good? how far is reading terminal market? within walking distance in the Center City areA? Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Reading Terminal Market is in Center City.

I live in Philly and I have no idea what Center City West and East means.

And how would we know if you can get a hotel through Priceline? Why don't you try it and see?

Did you bother to look at the map I provided you above? If you did you would see the area that is known as Center City. Look at the map to see where your hotel is.

It ain't that difficult, sweetie.

Thin
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM

We recently returned from a long weekend in Philly, & we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, which cost us $134.00 per night. The room was clean, comfortable & the hotel is in a great location, right next to Reading Terminal Market.

For eating, I recommend breakfasts and/or lunches at Reading Terminal Market. We had DELICIOUS blueberry pancakes at the Amish Restaurant in Reading Terminal Market. Please note, the Amish food restaurant & food stalls are open from Wed - Sat. We had lunch at Beck's Cajun Restaurant in the RTM, too. I also recommend Cuba Libre in the Old City neighborhood for dinner.

Sightseeing: we had a tour of Independence Hall, saw the liberty bell, Rodin Museum, Morris Arboretum & Franklin Science Museum. We did a lot of walking through the various neighborhoods. Went to the Italian Market.

We didn't have time to see the Philadedelphia Art Museum.

Hope this helps.
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:06 AM

We are planning on going to Philadelphia around the 4th of July. Is it going to be insane busy or is this a good time to go. We don't mind crowds, but we don't want to wait forever to see anything.
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try going to www.visitphilly.com

As for the 4th of July...the Penns Landing area will be packed since there are all sorts of activities and fireworks there for the 4th.
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:05 AM

If your budget is around $100 I recommend you try Priceline and bid in that range or possibly Hotwire. Otherwise, as a previous poster mentioned you may have a difficult time finding a nice hotel in that price range.
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Hi blu

I've practically walked from one end of Center City to the other, so I think if your hotel is in Center City, you'll be within walking distance of the Reading Terminal Market, which is in Center City. If you're tired of walking, public transit options in Center City abound; plenty of taxis ply the streets in a pinch. Find Rittenhouse Square and Independence Hall on a map... anything there or in between (and let's say up or down five streets) will be perfectly central for walking.

Have a great time! Philadelphia's quite the enjoyable city! Daniel
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM

We stayed at the Penns Landing Comfort Inn a few years back. Not in the heart of everything & (definitely not $100) but reasonably close enough to Independence Hall areas if willing to walk. Closest attraction is probably Betsy Ross House. We purchased a 3 day Philadelphia Pass which helped being able to budget both time & $$. They did have a shuttle which took you within a certain radius which could also be an option getting further to town.
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blu,
As far as what to do in Phila., go to the site I listed above.
One of your first stops should be the Visitors Center. There you can get a free timed ticket to visit Independence Hall. That way you can plan your other activities around the time on your ticket. That is if you are interested in the historical sites.
The Constitution Center is right there too. The Historical district is very easy to navigate. There are several different walking tours too.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
blu
Original Poster

Can someone tell me the best zipcode to put in for Hotwire.com for a great location of a hotel which would be within walking distance of most things I would like to see.

Also, is Philadelphia a "non-smoking" city? i.e, bars, restaurants, hotels, etc? Thank you.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM

19103, 19107.

Pennsylvania has a no-smoking law for all restaurants and for bars that receive less than 20% of its revenue from food service.

Thin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -