Pet Peeves

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:14 PM
x

Pet Peeves

Ok, this has probably been done to death but the escalator issue and Stephanie's response brought this to mind: What are your pet peeves (and since this is suppose to be travel related, what are your travel pet peeves)?

One of my major pet peeves, be it traveling or anywhere, is people's lack of a sense of space (I guess that is the way to state it). This comes in many forms: 1) the people who stand in the middle of a hallway carrying on a conversation. They see you walking up but don't get out of the way until you ask them to move aside; 2) Those who walk 3+ abreast down a sidewalk - and they always walk slowly; 3) when your pulling onto a two lane road and an approaching car refuses to move over and let you on; 4) etc. etc. etc.

This just irks me.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:20 PM
griper

people who have be the first to get their luggage off of the luggage caroselle like it's going to fall off the face of the earth if they don't get it then and there!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Steph

OK, here's mine: at airports, people who jump up and stand around the attendant at the gate the minute they announce they're going to start boarding even though their row hasn't been called - seems like it's just so they can jump on that line the minute their row IS called. And meanwhile the people who are supposed to be boarding have to work their way through the crowd.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:41 PM
A.M.

I HATE it when I am standing at the luggage carousel making sure there is plenty of room for those around me to get to their luggage and some jerk pushes in front of me to stand there, blocking everyone's view, before they even see their luggage. Then THEY WON'T MOVE so I can get to mine. I don't get it and I never know what to do about it.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:07 AM
CF

The thing that really ticks me off are the people seated in the back of the plane that put their carry on bags in the overheads in the FRONT of the plane and then when you get on the front the bins are already full. If it's such a hardship to stow them in the back where you're seated, don't bring any!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Susan

The fact that everyone has to stand up the moment the plane stops, and mass together in the aisle and then stand there and wait 10 minutes for the door to open.

People who won't share the armrest!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:44 AM
quit

Travel pet peeves???? Lets see, how about people that get all worked up about trivial things they have no control.
Reminds me of my dad who'd get livid about the silliest things, sulk and complain and generally make everyone around him uncomfortable.
If you get no joy out of travel, stay at home and keep your bad vibes there.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:51 AM
James

What are you talking about when you mention Steph and the escalator? Did I miss something here?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:59 AM
xx

Hey quit, are you my sister? Didn't know you were posting stuff about dad here!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Lori

I have a problem with people who have no sense of hotel etiquette. The ones who let their doors SLAM closed rather than support it until it closes quietly. The ones who talk in animated fashion as they return to their rooms late at night rather than use hushed tones.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
xx

Lori, good ones. That door slamming is unbelievable. Do they not notice?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Marty

How about this one: The TAX that only you have to pay that we never told you about. Ever rent a car in Boston? If so, you know what I mean. It's the 'since you are a visitor and don't live here, you get the shaft tax'.

Or the $9 per minute local phone rates at most hotels. Cripes, why don't they slap us with an oxygen tax while they're at it.

Hey quit, this is a real travel concern/topic so take your negative attitude, and blow away!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:22 AM
traveler

People that complain about airline food, I mean c'mon, they take you up in a huge metal tube, fly you to where you want to go, and you land alive. Unless you die in a fiery crash, who gives a damn about the food? I don't get it, it's like that's one of the highlights of their trip!
Also, people who will tip someone who brings a bottle of wine to their room, but won't tip the maid that cleans up after their human functions day after day. I'd rather clean up after a dog any day of the week before I'd clean up after a human being!
People who are rude and obnoxious to natives of other countries. They are an embarrassment to all Americans. If ya want everything to be like home, then for godsakes, stay the hell home!!!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:24 AM
quit

Hahahah! Marty, clearly you missed my point or is it that you're so wallowed in your personal me/my/mine anger that you just don't get it at all.
Lighten up. Learn to laugh and you'll live a lot longer.
I got robbed on vacation last year and while I was INITIALLY very angry, I made a very concious effort to get over it so that it would not destroy what will remain one of the best vacations I ever had.
Its always surprising to me how many people totally miss out on what a vacation is supposed to be by searcing for things to get upset about. This thread is the perfect example.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Hugh

quit:

How did Marty miss your point? That is, assuming that you actually had one. You're just another of the socially handicapped who post here that have nothing relevent to say or add to a particular string. The tax peeve is a perfect example of someone adding content to a thread, while some misfit misconstrues that content, and resorts to personal attacks due to their lack of interpersonal skills. Go back to your video games.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Samantha

People (on an airplane, in a line at an amusement park, etc.) who feel the overhwleming need to go on and on and *on* about their lives to a total stranger. Do they really think we care?! Thank God for Walkmans! ;-)

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:57 AM
vlouisv

Wouldn't that be WALKMEN? Just curious.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Merriam Webster

I believe Walkmen is the correct plural form of Walkman.

And, Mr. Quit, for your edification, the definition of a peeve is a personal vexation. We all have them. Perhaps yours is manifesting itself right now.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:10 PM
joan

Here's mine:
Restaurant staff who sit down at the table with you while they take your order. Who invited them anyway???

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:20 PM
shutup

I hate people who talk in movies, plays, etc...seriously, I think they should be wiped off the face of this planet. I cannot stand paying 8 bucks to see a flick, only to have some idiot act like he's in his own living room, talking freely. I want Nazi stormtroopers walking down those aisles!

Off with their tongues!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -