Reload this Page >

Pearl Harbor for WWII Vet

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:47 PM
P.H. daughter

We are taking my dad to see Pearl Harbor(for his first time since the war) for his 79th birthday. We are looking for appropriate lodging for two nights that is close to Pearl Harbor for early morning admission and that can accomodate 4 adults and 3 kids (grandchildren). He would also like to see Waikiki where he took surfing lessons after the war. (and the grandkids would like to see the ocean) Any suggestions, please?

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:59 PM
aaa

The nearest accomodations would be the two airport hotels but I really wouldn't recommend staying there. You're much better off staying anywhere in Waikiki. Head to the memorial early in the morning; you'll be going opposite of traffic so it wont take long at all. And of course, anywhere you stay in Waikiki will be within walking distance to the beach area.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Jolie

I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It has a pickup area for all tours at the Hotel. The hotel is huge and very impersonal but you can book all types of rooms at varying prices. It has many resturants, shows, and grocery store all in one. Again it is huge and right on Waikiki beach. Enjoy.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:48 AM
Al

If your father is a vet, you can check into the Hale Koa Hotel. It is only for military/retired military/vets, and US Civil Service. It is absolutely the BEST hotel in Waikiki, and the rates are unbelievable. There isn't a better bargain in all of the US.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Bill I

F.Y.I. There was a post on this board a few days back, discussing that the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor is going to be closed for a time, starting in June. I don't remember the dates that were specified. MAybe somebody else can help you with that. When are you going?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
Mike

Have to disagree that the hale Koa is the best hotel might be one of the cheaper. Think a person of your dad's age might like to stay at one of the hotels that was actually around during his tour. Sheraton Moana is my favorite and the there is also the Royal Hawaiian. Moana has more aloha, Royal Hawaiian less people more quiet. I would suggest ihilani resort as I believe it is the closest hotel to Pearl and you don't have any of the Waikiki congestion. We went to Oahu last summer chiefly because a guest in my group wanted to visit Pearl Harbor. Well they could not get out of Waikiki quick enough. Hilton Hawaiian Village was crawling with people, this was August so I know from experience it is not always like this. But the hotel made matters worse by charging for a show they regularly put on for free and even more people squeezed into lobby and the like areas trying to get out of paying. Do not go here in August or when hotel is at full capacity.

PS I don't think I have ever been by the Hali Koa when some service men were not getting drunk and loud either in the bar or on the beach. Maybe they were not always drunk on the beach just unreasonably loud and raucous. I have been back around 7 times and lived in Honolulu for a few years. So this is not an isolated experience.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:59 AM
P.H. Employee

I would pass on the suggestion to stay at the Ihilani if you're planning on an early morning entry into Pearl Harbor. The Honolulu bound traffic can be really bad coming from that direction. If you stay in Waikiki, there will be be little traffic once you pass the downtown area.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:03 AM
Al

I must be nuts. I've been to the Hale Koa each year for the past six years, and I've yet to see any drunks at all. Am I missing something? The Hale Koa is the cleanest, quietest and one of the least expensive hotels in Waikiki. The hotel rate is based on the person's rank, with the lowest rate being something like $80.00 a night, AND ABSOLUTELY NO TAXES ON ANYTHING IN THE HOTEL, including the hotel rates. The grounds are immaculate and the three pools are fantastic. Furthermore, parking is only $3.00 a day. I just don't understand the remarks that there are drunks around.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Mike

you are missing something because I see a commotion every time I walk that promenade unless it is early morning. Cocktails are cheap and the clientele can be loud and obnoxious at the Hale Koa. There are other hotels with beachfront bars but you only see people swamping the hale Koa and usually getting loud. I was particularly incensed on last summer’s trip because there was an officer around who did nothing to quiet what was an obvious disturbance. This was on the beach and completely inappropriate. Not just guys having fun, loud intimidating screaming that turned every head in ear shot. This was the middle of the day and the shave ice guy not in the military told me that this was the normal behavior around the Hale Koa. Nothing people could do about it.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:53 AM
Pam

P.H. daughter;

Don't miss taking your Dad to see the Punch Bowl cemetery too. Lots of monuments to the many men/women of every armed service branch. We took my Dad (then 76) to Hawaii in 1998 and he had not been there since the war either. Will never forget our trip there with him. An unforgettable experience!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:57 PM
lcuy

PH-
The Hale Koa is very nice, convenient and can be inexpensive depending on the rank. It can also be quite expensive, and reservations are tricky as they give priority to different ranks/retired/active duty, etc.
It is right on the beach, and after having many friends stay there and attending quite a few weddings and baby luau, I've never noticed any problems. If anything, the military keeps a close eye on their own, although they do not have any control over activities on the public beach.
You might enjoy the Royal Hawaiian. It was really the ultimate in luxury in the 40's. My parents honeymooned there and were thrilled to visit it again in the 80's.
The Moana would also be really exciting for an old timer. Both of these are on the beach and you can still get surfing lessons along there. Coming from Waikiki to PH is going opposite traffic most of the way, so shouldn't be a big problem. From Ihilani it'll be a bumper to bumper crawl at 7-8:30 am.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:10 AM
aaa

As a resident of west Oahu, do not stay at the Ihilani if you plan on heading eastward to Honolulu (Pearl Harbor is in this direction) in the morning! Traffic is terrible, 45 mins to 1 hour away easily, if there are no accidents on the roads, otherwise, double that time. Likewise, heading back to the Ihilani during the afternoon will be just as worse when everyone heads home for the day.. Traffic from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor at 7-8am is nonexistant once you escape the Ala Moana business area. Take Nimitz Hwy, to the freeway onramp, the lights are all synchronized in favor of the hwy. The short freeway hop will likewise have almost no cars in your direction.

Old May 24th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Shannon

If I am correct, the Arizona will be closed from June 3-14. My fiance and I are sorely disappointed! His great uncle went down with the Arizona, and we planned two nights in Oahu as part of our honeymoom just to go there! We are so bummed!

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:08 PM
P.H. granddaughter

Thank you so much for your replies. We looked into the Hale Koa, however simply being a WWII veteran isn't enough, you need at least 20 years of military service. Thanks for the tips that Pearl Harbor might be closed. Thankfully we are going in late July to early August. How is the traffic on weekends?

Thanks again!