Search

Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu

Hello! We (mid 50ish and late 60 ish couple) are taking our first trip to Hawaii the first week of April 2015 celebrating many years of married bliss! We start out in Molokai, spend a couple of nights there, and then get on a very small eco-boat to tour various islands for one week. There will be lots of kayaking and nature watching and snorkeling in addition to going on hikes on several islands, so that will be the "active" part of our trip.
1. Before flying home to the east coast we would like to take it easy for a few days. Since the flights that I prefer leave from Oahu and since we will already have seen some parts of the other islands, my thought was to make it easy on ourselves and go ahead and position ourselves on Oahu since that is from where we would fly home. The actual end of the boat trip is on the Big Island, but I prefer the flights available from Oahu back to the east coast rather that the ones from BI stopping in LA, etc. From Oahu there are flights with only ONE layover and I can pick flights flying south. Since this is still hinky weather time, I would prefer avoiding going north (Chi, NJ etc) to get back to Virginia. I know the bad weather "trickle down" can still affect any place north or south, I just figured this would be a fighting chance of air goodness! I've found that booking the inter-island flights myself ends up cheaper and with better connections. For roundrip to HNL from RIChmond, VA = $1061 per person for the one layover flight and landing by 4 pm in HNL that I need in order to get to Molokai by the same evening. Is that reasonable? Should I book now or wait a few more months?
2. Oahu questions: I really really don't want to stay in Waikiki, but would staying somewhere less urban, for example on the north shore, for at least 3 maybe 4 nights, just complicate things unnecessarily with having to rent a car and get to and from the airport for that short of a period of time? Like I said I would like for these final nights to be the "easy" portion of our trip! I just personally don't care a lot for the hustle and bustle of cities. If we were starting at Waikiki I'd be OK with it, I just don't want to end on that note. The other thing is that we want to visit Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head and that's RIGHT THERE in Waikiki! HA! I was looking at Turtle Bay; does anybody have any opinions on other areas of Oahu, like east or west for being kinda closer to the airport and Pearl Harbor, but not being in that crazy Waikiki scene? OR maybe I'm reading the Waikiki thing all wrong. We also would like to maybe go to the PCC which would be near North Shore.

The only visits that would be written in stone would be Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head, so I kinda know the answer, I just don't like it! But if you guys can set my mind at ease about Waikiki or maybe have something different to suggest, I'm open to it. I guess my limit for accommodations would be about 250 per night if we don't have to get a car. But if you think the car would make things EASIER rather than more complicated for 3 or 4 nights, say so!

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM

If you don't want to rent a car, then you need to stay in Waikiki, which is the beach area and not the city of Honolulu. If you choose a hotel not right on Kalakaua (main street along the beach), it can be as quiet as you like although not without any people. Spring and fall are more low key times to visit.

Waikiki is very beautiful, and you can take The Bus ($2.00 for seniors with their Medicare cards) to the Diamond Head drop off point for the hike. For the best photo opp of DH, go for breakfast at the Outrigger Reef and stake out a table by the railing. You might even like to stay at that hotel. You can look at it on Google.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM

I like the New Otani Kaimana Hotel as it is on the other side of Kapiolani Park in a quieter spot right on the beach. It is old, not luxurious, and some of the rooms are really small, but it is a little piece of paradise in Waikiki. The corner rooms on the higher floors have fantastic views. It might be a good choice for you.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 11:20 AM

The J W Marriott at Ko Olina is not in busy bustling Waikiki or Honolulu. It is less traffic and much quieter. It is on the southwesten corner of Oahu, putting you in a somewhat easier drive to see Pearl Harbor. On the more southeastern shore you would have the Kahala (not sure which chain brand it currently is) Hotel. It is also in a quiet area, very close to Diamondhead. Turtle Bay would be nice, but since there are things you want to do/see in Honolulu then that would require driving into the city anyway.

The area by the J W is growing by leaps and bounds. The first time I stayed there I thought it was too remote for my taste. Now when I visit, I see more shopping and restaurants popping up, which means not having to drive so far to shop and dine.

I'm heading to Waikiki and the big island tomorrow for the next 9 days. I don't have any qualms about staying in Waikiki and will do so at two different hotels. The big island is in the middle of my trip, not on the beginning or end of it.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Why thank you guys! Great info.
One reason I was thinking about no car was the hotel fee for parking and driving in a unfamiliar city, but duh, that's probably mainly in Waikiki where you don't need a car anyway.
So, to switch things up, if we DON'T stay in Waikiki, if we pick windward or leeward side instead,what do you think about that? I was just looking at tripadvisor and saw nice reviews of Waimanalo Bay and Beach area. We could get a condo or b&b and it seems like it's only about 30 minutes to the airport from there. Of course I'll research it to the ground ha, but what do you guys think about the east or west sides of the island? Any big cons that I should think about before going down that research road? North Shore is just too far, so I have at least eliminated one whole area today!
Thanks again.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 12:12 PM

You don't have to stay near Honolulu to fly home from HNL. We often depart OGG on Maui and through-check our luggage to our home near Chicago. Then we just stay within airport security for two hours until our flight departs for the mainland.

We can also fly right from OGG to DFW on a nice 757, then have a two hour hop to Chicago.

We've stayed on all four of the major islands many times, but now stay South Maui in winter.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Wekewoody....New Otani Kaimana Hotel looks AWESOME! Great reviews, everybody said was quiet, restaurants on site, near all the "stuff" and it seems reasonable. If we decide to go the Waikiki route I think you've found our hotel.
Thanks again.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Another vote for New Otani -- no pool, but great beach, and quieter than being in the middle of 'the action' on Waikiki. We have also liked the Ilikai for the same quiet. My favorite, though, is the Royal Hawaiian -- historic grand old lady, and its' remaining garden provides a bit of a buffer.

I miss-typed. I certainly didn't mean to say we fly a 757. I'll do a lot to avoid even one of those on a long flight.

I'm a little concerned when you say you will start on Molokai, then "tour various islands for one week". I can't imagine you'd get to stay on more than one other island in that time. Can you elaborate? Also, are you flying into HNL, then on to Molokai, or are you flying to Maui and taking the ferry to Molokai? Might you stay Waikiki at the beginning of your trip, then move on?
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

We fly into HNL then onto Molokai in order to board the boat at Molokai. We are arriving in Molokai 2 days before the cruise starts in order to NOT miss the boat if we have flight delays. We go to Molokai, Lanai, Maui and end up at BI. From the Big Island we will fly to Oahu and then fly home to the east coast.
Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 05:30 AM

Sounds like a nice trip. I'm out to earn Marriott points/nights on this trip or I might consider New Otani. It looks like my kind of place.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm crazy for Waikiki so I don't have the same misgivings you seem to about being in a city. New Otani is a fine hotel but I really like to have a pool when I'm in Hawaii, which it does not. Can't help with other parts of Oahu because I always stay right in Waikiki (and never rent a car).
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 08:47 AM

How could you see Lanai, Maui and Big Island in a week? You couldn't do that by air in one week, much less by boat. Are you just 'cruising by'? What will you see or do ON these islands? Maybe seeing dates and the itinerary would help me understand this. Does this tour/boat have a website?

Regardless, if you don't want to stay Honolulu, you could stay on Big Island, then coordinate your flight from KOA or ITO so that you just 'float through' HNL. You'd through-check luggage and allow two hours at HNL between arrival from Big Island and your flight to the mainland.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM

I am not a huge fan of Waikiki either but I've been there many times for work as a Sales Rep. So I was out driving my car, fighting all the traffic, finding parking etc. which I sure has influenced my opinion. Still, it's way too many people for me after being on all the other islands or even other parts of Oahu.

I do think it's worth seeing at last once, though, and the beaches are lovely even if they are crowded. So the recommendation of staying in the quieter parts of Waikiki is a good one. I haven't stayed at the New Otani but I stayed right next door at the Lotus Honolulu. Very small boutique hotel which looks like it was just renovated. I had the corner ocean view room so had a lanai on each side and I asked them for a higher floor. My room was huge. No real amenities like a pool or restaurant but the New Otani is right next door. The staff was so friendly and I loved that they could get my car for me in about 2 min instead of waiting forever. I really liked this quiet end of Waikiki and Diamond Head is right there. It was about a 10 min walk to a little more action. If you do get a car, you can easily access Kapahulu Street to the H1 freeway without fighting the crazy traffic on Kalakaua in front of all the major hotels.

One word about H1 and the other freeways, traffic is very heavy so just keep that in mind when heading out for sightseeing. I also stayed at the other end of Waikiki at the Illikai as someone else suggested. Again, easier to get in and out of Waikiki by car as you are missing the mid-section traffic. Definitely closer to get to the airport and Pearl Harbor. It is a big hotel and it's on Ala Moana Blvd which is a very, very busy street so if you stay there make sure your room has a marina view and not over the street (which is where I stayed since I was on a business budget). I did enjoy the walk along the boardwalk and you can go along the beach to the marina and watch the sunsets. Lots of people out there every evening.

The JW Marriott at Ko Olina does look really nice and you are definitely away from Waikiki. You mentioned the windward side. I like the town of Kailua. I think there are mostly B&B's there and Kailua Beach is very nice. It's not a long drive from Kailua to Honolulu on the Pali Highway which has some breathtaking views. If you have a car during your visit, don't miss this drive.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Paula1470 thanks so much. Really helpful! I had wondered about the traffic Those are great tips.

I have changed my mind and am going to get a car and try a rental on the windward side. Really more our thing it looks like. I would like an opinion of which of these areas people recommend for rentals: Kailua or Laniki or Waimanalo. Looks like Kailua has a convenient good town nearby along with the nice beach. Have read some safety issues at Waimanalo, but obviously I know nothing and take things like that seriously, but with a grain of salt.
I can go to any of the beaches, so what I'm asking is really about the rental locations of those three.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Apparently nothing will be easy about Oahu for someone like us! Just read over at TripAdvisor that most Kailua rentals are actually illegal, so that's not happening for us. Bummer. Back to the drawing board. Otani or Lotus are looking better and better!
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 10:03 AM

retired-maybe the rentals are illegal but there seem to be quite a few B&B's in Kailua and I am guessing they are legal. Many of them get good reviews.

By staying in the Waikiki area, you will have more options for dinner, etc. and won't have to keep driving back and forth from Kailua. Kailua does have a nice town area and I've never had any problem with traffic on the Pali Highway although I didn't really drive it during rush hour.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Paula1470: Thank you AGAIN! I didn't think to do a "B&B" instead of rental search on TripAdvisor et al, so I wasn't seeing the legit licensed places. I think of B&Bs differently than what these Kailua places seem to be and I'm fine with either being on our own or having a host nearby.

I think I owe you a drink at the least, maybe a dinner if this works out!

Thanks again.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM

I hope it works out. I do like Kailua but have never stayed there. I think it might be just a bit too quiet in the evenings for me and also a little far from the sights.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I wouldn't choose Kailua and be driving everywhere for just a short stay. Waikiki is not like Times Square. Unless you have a 'city view' room or are staying at one of the convention-center hotels, you should be fine. The Royal Hawaiian is not only lovely, but is historic. We were also happy with two different rooms at the Ilikai -- one marina view and one lagoon view; this is a less expensive choice. (You'd recognize it if you ever watched the original "Hawaii Five-O".)
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 07:49 AM

I agree with ChiSue. The Royal Hawaiian is lovely and would love to stay there sometime. I didn't like staying in the middle of Waikiki with a car, though, when I stayed close to the Royal Hawaiian. But as we've all mentioned before you can stay by the marina area (Illikai) or at the other end by Diamond Head (Lotus and New Otani) where it's less congested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -