Paying in cash at IAH, Urgent

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, next this Sunday Im going to IAH, and I want to rent a car, but I have some problems with my credit card, so because in the hotel I need one a familiar is going to lend me one, But when I get there I will pay in cash. So my question is if I have a credit card number in a rental car reservation, could I be able when I arrive to pay in cash?

Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM

I think you are asking, if you used a family member's credit card to hold a reservation, can you pay with cash when you get there?

If you want to pay for the TOTAL bill at the end with cash, thats usually fine . But most agencies will NOT let you take a car w/ out a cc in your own name. If you need to make a cash reservation you will at least need enough cash to pay for a hefty deposit AND you need to let the rental car agency know in advance.

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM

As the previous poster said, the cc must be in your name when you rent the car. You should call the car rental company and ask if you can rent with cash and how much of a deposit they require.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM

The company will not rent you a car with a credit card in someone else's name. They would only rent it to that person - with you as an additional driver at an extra fee. And - you would have no insurance coverage - so would have to buy it.

Even if you pay for insurance there is a deductible and you would be required to make a cash deposit equal to the deductible - usually $500 to take the car. But - do call the company and ask since they each have different rules.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
None of the major/national chains will do that (except in rare situations where it is pre-arranged).

Some small, local rental companies will rent cars w/o credit cards. None of the ones you've heard of w/ desks at the airport. And sometimes they rent older, high mileage vehicles.

I don't know if there are any in Houston - I'd check the yellow pages. They will include the "no credit card required" info in their ads.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM

almost every car rental agency I have seen won't even accept a Debit Card.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick answers, I email Thrifty and they told me I cant, so I will use transportation, still thanks.