Car Rental W/OUT a credit card

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental W/OUT a credit card

Most car rental companies require a credit card to rent a car. Does anyone know of a car rental company that does not require a credit card? Thank you for your time and efforts.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM

No - ALL car rental companies require a credit card to rent a car. Sorry.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Well, I don't know about "all", but if you do find a car rental company that doesn't require a credit card, it'll be by sheer luck.

For a laugh read this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=54885

Are you sure you can't at least get a VISA debit card through your bank, assuming you have a bank account? I've used one for car rentals and it's worked just fine.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM

My understanding is that some Rent-a-Wreck offices may rent w/o a credit card if you leave a large cash deposit. (I worked with someone who did this a couple of years ago - since her credit card had a very low limit.)

But I don't know if this is universal, or still true. I know she did have to do a lot of fast talking to get the car - and then it broke down the second day.

You might want to call and ask.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Enterprise rents with a $300 cash deposit, but there are certain criteria that must be met, so you need to set it up in advance. Smaller, local places do this sometimes too.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:33 PM

There are some small, local companies that will do this, or in smll towns. If I were a company, I wouldn't rent to someone who couldn't get a credit card, either.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:04 PM

In New York State, car rental agents are prohibited from requiring a credit card.

However, they are allowed to require a "reasonble" security deposit when renting to customers without credit cards.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Christina: That's a pretty harsh blanket statement to make, don't you think? Just off the top of my head I can think of a dozen different cases where the lack of a credit card doesn't say anything about a person's responsibility. Maybe they simply haven't established credit yet. Maybe they're a recent immigrant to this country. Maybe they got tired of constant credit card bills and decided to simply cut them up. Etc.

If a car rental company needs X amount of collateral insurance, why should they care whether it takes the form of a credit line or cash?
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:25 PM

fdecarlo - quite true, i knew someone who moved to Chicago from abroad and had a 6 figure income with the firm she moved here to work for, and had credit trouble because she had "not credit history", it took her awhile to get a credit card and establish credit, and found it rough to try and travel or even rent movies without one, despite being probably the wealthiest person I know.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Yes, when an immigrant comes to the US they do not have any credit history. Their income etc. does not matter without a credit history. It takes time to establish it. So just because someone does not have a credit card does not mean they are unreliable.

If car rental companies will accept a bank debit card that would solve the problem. If one does not have enough money in their checking account however then I don't think renting a car is possible. Best wishes cheapseater.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Hey, you know why I know Enterprise takes a cash deposit? Not too long ago DH found himself needing to rent a car unexpectedly. He was off-island and doesn't normally carry credit cards since he doesn't use them. The local Enterprise office did not accept debit cards, but they were happy to rent him a car with his $300 deposit after verifing some info. Says nothing what-so-ever about his ability to pay or his credit worthiness.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Both my son and daughter have had trouble this week renting. Enterprise would not even accept a cash deposit and would not let me give my credit card. They would have let me rent the car for daughter and add her as designated driver, but we could not do that because warranty company was paying. I don't think you can check into a hotel these days without a credit card either.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Mincepie - there are some hotels you can check into without a credit card - but you really wouldn;t want to - most rent by the hour.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Lei's see, as I recall the 19 Arab terrorists of 9/11 all had credit cards to thoroughly enjoy themselves here in the USA as they trained to kill us.

The two whack-jobs of the Oaklahoma bombing, Terry McNichols and his boyfriend also used credit cards to rent the truck they loaded with bombs.

The first attempt to blow up the WTC several years ago was by Arab terrorists using credit cards to rent a truck and then load it with explosives.

Meanwhile, thousands of law-abiding good citizens of the USA are not able to get credit cards because of some minor credit infractions and therefore cannot rent a car?

I know this is the American way but IT Really Does SUCK!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 08:04 PM

If the card issuer thinks you:

- can pay the monthly minimum
- won't file for personal bankruptcy
- are not commiting fraud

they will give you a card. It's a competitive business and plenty of issuers will give you a card.

One just have to learn how to prove to the issuers you qualify for all three above.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:25 PM

nytraveler....my husband would be pleased that I did not know that!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Gene, that's some seriously screwed up logic. If any of the people you mentioned didn't pay their credit card bills or otherwise abused their credit privileges, their cards would have been canceled the exact same way yours or mine would. It's got nothing to do with what nationality someone is, or what heinous crimes they decide to commit after the fact.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:58 AM

No one has their credit card taken away for a minor infraction. You have to essentially not pay for months before they will pull your cards. Even if you can make only partial payments - as long as you act in good faith - you can maintain a card.

And, in fact, anyone can get a credit card. If you have no credit to start with - but any means of paying - you can easily get a cash deposit card - you give Visa $500, they put it in an account - and as far as anyone is concerned it's a "credit" card. Once you have proven you can and will pay your bills (rent, utilities etc) Visa converts it ro a real credit card.

(By the way - many credit card companies routinely give credit cards to students with no means to pay the bill - small limits naturally - and really high interest rates - to get them hooked.)

Anyone who can't hang onto a credit card must be grossly abusing the system - really just paying no bills at all, multiple bankruptcies etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:57 AM

It is really easy to get a credit card in the US. This requirement has nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism, etc., it has to do with bare minimum financial responsibility and credit, that's all. Anyone who can't get a credit card in the US would have to be committing fraud, have absolutely no income, have a terrible credit rating due to not paying bills, things like that. In fact, even if you have virtually no income, you can probably get one.

So the reason many companies won't do business with giving a 20K piece of machinery to someone to drive away has to do with financial responsibility and criminal fraud reasons.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I can't get over some of the responses. Car rental companies don't give a hoot what nationality you are or what your background is; all they want is some way to insure they will be paid and you will bring the vehicle back reasonably close to the appointed time, hence most require a credit card and a select few will allow a large cash deposit at time of rental. They are in business to make money so if their operating procedures inconvenience those people who do not have credit cards, who have poor credit, exceeded their credit limits or can not otherwise satisfy the deposit requirements, so be it. They are just protecting their assets and not making a blanket "political" statement about a person's trustworthiness or creditworthiness. Think about it, you wouldn't lend your car to a complete stranger (no matter how well healed he or she appeared) without having some assurances you'd get the car back in the same condition as it was when you lent it out - I'd dare say most of us wouldn't lend a car to a stranger period.