Reload this Page >

Patrick from Naples, I need some info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:04 PM
jill

Patrick I understand you are quite knowledgeable about Naples.I have some questions and I would appreciate your help. How far of a ride is it to the Everglades? Could you recommend an airboat tour? Also we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale and I was wondering if it takes the full two hours like it says on the internet. I hope we are not making a mistake, but it was the only nonstop from Hartford, Ct. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Ron

Fly into Ft. Myers if at all possible!!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:05 AM
lilmsfoodie

You can get across Alligator Alley (I-75) in about an hour but the extra hour is for the traffic on I595 in Ft. Lauderdale and the congestion in Naples.

I'd recommend something other than an airboat tour of the Everglades. You can just swing over to The Audubon Corkscrew Swamp which is a few minute drive to an ancient cypress forest and one of the premier birding spots in the world.

http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/corkscrew/

I also highly recommend Orchids and Egrets, a nature tour company that is outstanding.
http://www.naturetour.com/

Little Fort Myers airport, where I live is convenient but small and one of the most expensive to fly into. Too many millionaires flying into too small an airport. Lots of people fly into Fort Lauderdale, an underutilized airport. You've made an expedient choice. Lil Ms. Foodie

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:20 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:01 AM
jill

Limsfoodie, Thanks so much for the info. We probably will be traveling around 2:00PM. I hope we will not hit much traffic. Why do you discourage an airboat tour? I have a teenager so I thought it would be fun. Thanks for all your help and knowledge, it is greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Joey

Jill, airboat tours are very noisy, and they usually are very touristy. There is a great place in Homestead Fla. called Shark Valley. It's a strange name as there are no sharks, but it is a great place to visit on your way over to Naples. It is part of Everglades National Park. They have bike paths and bike rentals & you can bicycle past alligators, birds, etc., or they have a nice tram ride you can take that is very informative. There are park rangers there who have lots of info to share and it is a beautiful, relaxing place. It's sooo much better than the tourist oriented airboat rides. You can get to Shark Valley by taking Highway 41 to Naples. Do a google search and plug in "Shark Valley" for all the info. & directions. If you are interested in the everglades from a scenic and informative perspective, this is the place to see. (especially since you will be going right by on the way to Naples!) Also, if flying home through Ft. Lauderdale on the return, watch the traffic if returning your rental car during rush hour. Allow extra time. Good luck from a fellow nutmegger who loves Marco island!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:27 PM
jill

Joey, Thanks for all the info. Are the airboat rides so loud that you need airplugs? I have a teenager so I thought this would be exciting. Thanks

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Sharon

airboats are not exactly ecologically friendly and it is difficult to appreciate the majesty of the everglades with all the noise. Quite frankly, it scares away the wildlife so there isn't much point as far as I'm concerned. The tours would probably have been killed years ago if they were operated by anyone but the Seminole nation.

Another thought if Alligators are high on your sons list would be Lake Trafford in Immokalee (close to Naples) Ski, the owner of the marina has tours of the lake where the alligators float around like logs, hundreds of them. Pretty good fishing too.

Orchids and Egrets has some pretty exciting tours that do not harm the Everglades. By the way, the majestry of the glades is in its vast simplicity: it is a massive River of Grass. It requires concentration to see all that is there. It doesn't jump out at you. A guide adds to your appreciation. Just my 2cents

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 09:16 AM
jill

Thanks Sharon. Do you live near Naples? I just am looking for and feedback. I thought the airboat trip would be the way to go seeing I have a teenage son. I wonder if there are any that incorporate both. I appreciated your 2cents and other helpful hints are also appreciated because I am a novice about this area.