passport renewals/how long

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just mailed off our passport renewals...I didn't do the "rush" service, because I thought we had enough time. Now we are planning a trip to Mexico on Nov. 17th. Any opinions as to if we are going to receive them back on time? We didn't have any changes and our last passport just expired this month.
I heard that one of the passport offices "floated" away in the hurricane (that was according to the lady at the p.o.)
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM

I would give them a call - while they might not be able to give you an answer they should be able to flag your case with the new travel date.

I'm still embarrassed by the fact that in August I booked flights and a hotel in the Turks and Caicos Islands (wonderful vaction) without checking that our 16 yr old had a valid passport.

Never mind the fact that he needed to visit the INS office in Boston to get his passport stamped with his Green Card approval.
We used an expedited service and when we realised that they didn't understand (we did provide a clear covering letter) that we needed it back 3 days before our flight.

DH called the British Embassy and they flagged the passport and it arrived 6pm via AA the day before we needed it - without the phone call? Who would have known how urgent this was?

Good Luck.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Hello tennislvr1, when I have renewed my passport I have had it back within three weeks at the latest, but that doesn't mean you will of course.

I believe, but do check, one can go to Mexico and return with a birth certificate as proof of US citizenship (assuming you are). Do check on this of course. From what I have read it is the New Orleans Passport office that is no longer in service due to Katrina. Best wishes.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Forgot to mention - the BE flagged the passport on the Tuesday morning just after the Agency we were using said they would query the passport on Wednesday morning since we weren't flying until the Saturday.

When we explained that we needed it on the Wednesday evening or really early on the Thursday am for a 7:30 interview with the INS (as explained in the covering letter) - their reply was OK! we're on it! Leave it with us.

Needless to say we didn't, However as it turned out we had a wonderful vacation with good snorkeling and lots of quality time with our 16yr old son on a fantastic beach - but it was a stressful week for all of us!

Again - good luck!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:51 AM

We recently (Aug. 17) applied to renew our passports. The ones we renewed by mail went to Pittsburg and we received them back on Sept. 29. The two that we had to apply for in person were routed through the New Orleans office. They sent a postcard saying there may be a delay because the NO office was closed due to Katrina. Those passports arrived Sept.30, so there was really no delay.

You can check this website http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo.../npic_898.html

They will send you an email confirming when they think it likely that they will be mailed. Also, info available on speeding up the process.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are traveling from the U.S. to Mexico, passports are not yet required. You can still travel on a photo ID + original birth certificate.

Do double-check this with your airlines but I'm pretty sure this is true (but will change in 2006 or 07).
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I renewed mine two summers ago and received my new one within two weeks. I was VERY surprised I received it that quickly.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM

You might want to give the passport office a call. I vaguely remember someone here mentioning that they requested expedited service over the phone after mailing their passports in. I'm not sure how they paid the extra fee though. I'd call and ask directly.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM
GoTravel

Mine only took a week and a half but that was back in 1999.

Call the passport office. Don't wait.

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Ours were returned within two weeks. But, I'm sure everything turns on which office is processing yours and how busy they happen to be when yours arrives.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I was recently told six weeks for standard and two weeks for rush. Suze is right, though. - You won't need them for U.S. to Mexico.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Kal

Alohaaa,
Without having to wade thru a Fed Gov website, when does the passport expire?
Last I heard was 5 yrs?

Got Europe and hopefully Africa in our sights for next year. \/

I know it's not Oregon but it will have to do.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all of you for all the great info...I'll call the passport office tomorrow. And I forgot that you can travel to Mexico w/o a passport...thanks for reminding me!

You guys are great!

Now, if you could just figure out where we should go in Feb. '06 (Valentine's Day) for our 25th wedding anniversary, you would be MY hero! We just can't decide...cruise to Mexico or Maui...decisions, decisions. We're 40 somethings who love the warm weather, live in So. Calif. and love the beach.

We just can't decide what to do!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Hi tennislvr1, PV Mexico in February is wonderful. Think about going there for your anniversary. Best wishes.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I sent my passport in for renewal on Aug 2, and received the new one Sept 1.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM

tennislvr1

25th anniversay?

Bucuti Beach - Aruba, stay in the Tara Suites, a quiet hotel that caters to couples - children not encouraged.

Jamaica Inn - Jamaica, if it was good enough for Errol Flynn it's good enough for you

Idle Awhile - Negril, owned by the chap who owns the Couples resorts but only 13 rooms, not All-Inclusive and in the center of the beach so lots of restaurants within an easy walk.

Coral Gardens - Provo, Turks and Caicos Islands, wonderful 'talcum powder' beach with good snorkeling from the beach

Next question?