Search

Passport renewal -- possible screw-up

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2023, 01:04 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport renewal -- possible screw-up

I sent my passport for renewal back in May. I paid extra for expedited service and priority mail. I checked the website this morning and it indicated my passport was shipped yesterday. HOORAY, or so I thought. I clicked the link for the tracking, and what came up was a package that was delivered to an address in Virginia over a year ago. Needless to say, nobody is answering the phone at the passport office on a Saturday, and I'll be very hard pressed to get someone to answer on Monday. I'm hoping and praying they put the wrong tracking # on the website instead of sending my passport to Virginia.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 02:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m sure it’s the wrong tracking number, but I don’t blame you for being worried. I would be too. Monday can’t come soon enough for you I’m sure!
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 04:34 PM

I guess you didn't get an email about it? Maybe in the spam folder?

Did you try checking it again? Maybe it is a computer glitch that will resolve itself tomorrow.
U.S. Passport Application Status (state.gov)

glitch, like they turned something off over the weekend or god knows what, maybe system maintenance
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 04:49 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I did check again, nothing has changed. I'll check again tomorrow morning and call Monday.
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they indeed mailed it priority, you'll have the passport by Monday.
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 07:46 PM

There have been a lot of issues with mail delivery around here. I don't think the storms helped either.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 05:00 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
If they indeed mailed it priority, you'll have the passport by Monday.
That's if they sent it to the right address.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 05:25 AM

They just had a segment on Good Morning America today about how backed up the passport offices are. In certain areas they have opened centers where people can apply and submit the applications. Of course the centers got over loaded immediately and couldn't handle the crowds.
Glad I renewed during Covid when no one was traveling.

Good luck P_M. I hope it works out for you.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 07:05 AM
P_M
Original Poster

I discovered they are open for a few hours on weekends. I just called and the wait time is over 1.5 hours, and they don't offer call back service. We have plans today so I can't hold that long. I'll try again tomorrow and hold as long as it takes.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 11:09 AM

What is the point in calling? They just have the same information that you can look up on line.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 12:45 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I want to know where they sent it. Neither the website nor the tracking number tells me that.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 12:52 PM

The phone line didn't help me when I needed it. After an infinite hold, I got a recording that said to use the website and goodbye. The website said my passport was in process but said there was no information about my wife's for a month. Then they both arrived in the mail. You are better off meditating than waiting on hold for a frustration.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 03:12 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate being in this type of situation so I look for any type of help I can get. I don't think it would hurt to report a technical issue as this is what I would call it. They are being a bit difficult as it won't let me copy and paste the link correctly as the link doesn't take you to the form. I found it on the State Department website under US Passports>Track My Renewal Application>My Passport was Mailed but I have not received it>National Passport Information Center (click the link) >Website Issues (at the bottom is a link) It will bring you to the form to fill out. It clearly says one option to select is either information is unclear, incorrect or missing.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 12:31 PM
P_M
Original Poster

By some miracle I managed to get someone on the phone after a mere 2 hour, 15 minute hold. I told the guy that my confirmation number indicates a delivery last year to Virginia (not where I live). He told me with great confidence that can't be the right confimation number. Well DUH, as if I never thought of that, but I didn't say that in my out loud voice.

I went on to ask this clown if he would check my application and tell me the address to where the passport was sent. He asked for my travel date and I told him it was in September. Bozo then tells me that it is against their protocol to look at my application until 2 weeks before my travel date.

WHAT????

I informed Bozo that I paid about $80 extra for expedited service and priority mail and all I need is for him to tell me where it was sent. If a a mistake has been made, I want to start the process of correcting it now. He stuck by his guns and told me they won't look at it until 2 weeks before my travel date. I told him this is insane!! What was the point of paying additional fees if I still have to wait until 2 weeks before my travel date to get any information? Why can't they just look at my application and tell me what I need to know? He wasted more time arguing with me than it would have taken to look up what I need. My blood was boiling so after about 10 more minutes of arguing I hung up on Bozo.

I'm going to call again tomorrow. I will demand to speak with a manager, and if all else fails I will involve my congressman. Either that or I will lie and claim I'm traveling next week.

Stay tuned....
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 12:54 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I am so sorry. I would be livid. They are so sly as I found a customer service survey as I love filling out surveys and again, it wouldn’t let me copy and paste so seeing if this works https://tinyurl.com/42dfffn4. People tell why bother but if I don’t say anything, nothing has the potential to be fixed.
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 01:51 PM

Oh WOW P_M.
How rude! Too bad you didn't ask for a manager right then, although it might not have done any good. How can people be so unaccommodating.
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 02:10 PM
P_M
Original Poster

You're right schmerl, after I hung up I realized how foolish I was not to ask for a manager immediately. I was so angry and frustrated for wasting so much time and receiving no help, I just needed to get away from the situation. I won't make that mistake again.
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 02:25 PM

you could book refundable international tickets in the next 2 weeks to get it quickly. then cancel the tickets....

(they will ask for proof that you are traveling in the next 2 weeks.)
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 02:30 PM
P_M
Original Poster

That's a great idea surfmom, better than my idea to lie about it. I might do that in the days to come.
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 04:46 PM

You also could “plan a trip” to Canada by car next week.
The no cost way.

Last edited by oldemalloy; Jul 10th, 2023 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Extra idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -