Search

Passport HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport HELP!

I'm getting married in 10 days and I'm leaving for my honeymoon for the British West Indies on Monday, May 21. I sent in my application for my passport on March 1 and I have not recieved it yet. The tracker on the gov. site states it's being "processed." I'm nervous and really stressed over this I could just cry! I'm thinking of scheduling an appointment at one of the passport agencies, even if I have to stand in line for 12 hours. Can you get a passport through an agency if you've already submitted the application? Any advice would be appreciated - I'm desperate.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM

You may have tried this approach already, but there is a way to email for status information. There is also a way to telephone, but the US Government web site says to expect delays and keep trying.

Other than that I guess your best option is to get an appointment at one of the locations and possibly pay a second time for an expedited passport.

I am assuming you used regular service rather than expedited. Even there, you should have gotten a response in 10 weeks, according to the web site. If you applied on March 1, it has now been just about 10 weeks. We are currently in the 10th week.

I would go ahead amd make an appointment at an agency and cancel it if you don't need it. I hope you can get in within your time frame.

Old May 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it shows "processed" then it is in the works and you'll probably have it any time. But that won't calm your nerves until you have it in your hands. So pick up the phone and call the local district office of your member of Congress. Their staff will know what to do and can contact the appropiate people to find out where it is in the system and expedite it if necessary.

they do this all the time.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that is great advice. I'll call my local congressman.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Absolutely contact your Congressman's local headquarters. They will assist you.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM

I should have thought of the Congressman gambit as well. I did it once when I had a tiff with TSA people, and it got results.

Try all of them, it cannot hurt.

The change in the laws that require us to have passports for Canada and the Caribbean is the cause of the problem.

I think it is rampant paranoia by the politicians. All it has done is cause trouble for Americans wanting passports.

The fee for expedited service is ridiculous.

The delays are even more bizarre. They Passport Agency knew the crunch would come, yet no extra help was hired to get through the crunch. I guess the government is so inflexible that hiring temporaries to help is beyond their comprehension.

What has your government done for you lately? Well, the biggest thing is to make travel a pain in the rear.

And be sure to put your gels and liquids in a little plastic bag for TSA.

Somebody might take a few ounces of stuff, mix it, and blow up an airplane.

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Which processing center did you send your passport application to? I sent my renew application to Porstmouth, NH on 4/28 for regular processing ( i don't need it until September) and got my yesterday.I was so surprised when i got it. If the tracker on the gov. site states it's being "processed", It propably be on it ways to you now, my application showed up in there web site last Friday 05/04 and my check cleared my bank on 05/07. Give it 1 or 2 more days.

Old May 8th, 2007, 02:42 PM

West coast applications --amazing.
Dtr. applied on her 18th birthday--April 24 , paid expedited fee and has passport by overnight express
on May 7th !!!! Obviously something has gone wrong with yours..definetly seek other types help...
Good luck
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:04 AM

I sent my passport in for renewal on Feb. 21 and I received it in the mail on May 6th right at the 10 weeks they say it is taking. Since you are in the 2 week window call the regional office. When it showed as being processed I received it in about a week.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. I brought my application to the local post office on March 1st and my check cleared on March 5th. I called my congressman yesterday AND as a back up, I scheduled an appointment at the passport processing agency in NYC for next Wednesday - which took about an hour this morning with the ridiculous automated system. Hopefully I'll recieved the passport before then.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:20 AM

We applied in mid February. We just received my husband's passport yesterday and mine is supposed to come in today (fingers crossed!). This was after 14 phone calls over the past 1.5 weeks. We leave for Spain tomorrow (hopefully!). I gave myself 2 weeks bumper time with the 8-10 week processing times, we obviously needed it.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I applied for my toddler's passport and my husband's renewal on Feb. 9. We received my husband's passport April 12. However, they haven't even cashed our check for our daughter's passport. The web site says it is being processed. We leave June 9 for France. I called my congressman's office and they said they would mail me a disclosure form to sign before they would help me, however, I haven't received it. I also made an appt. with the SF passport agency. Any other ideas?