Parking near White House on a Saturday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard from our Senator's office that we have been given a tour space for the White House next Saturday at 9:30am. Unfortunately that is the morning we planned on picking up our rental car (7am)at the Radisson @ National Aiport and driving to Williamsburg. (We already have a prepaid room at the Radisson for Friday night that I can't cancel).

I hate to pass up the White House opportunity, so now I need to figure out the best way back into DC. If I pick up the car early that morning as planned, will I be able to find street or garage parking near the White House on a Saturday a.m.? If so, then we'd be able to leave for Williamsburg right after the White House.

Or, would it be best to take the Metro into DC, then back to the Radisson to then pick up the rental car?

Or taxi both ways?

There will be 3 of us. Myself, and two boys 7 &9.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM

You should be able to find street parking Saturday morning near the White House--you'll be there early enough--but I would opt for taking the Metro unless you really know where you are going. It will save you a lot of driving hassle.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>>Or, would it be best to take the Metro into DC, then back to the Radisson to then pick up the rental car?<<

Personally, this would be my choice.

Relative to weekday traffic, a drive from the Radisson to the White House will be a pretty easy. There is street parking in the near-ish vicinity of the WH but it's metered or time limited. Garages are plentiful too, don't know what the rate is for a Saturday but my guess is it would exceed the cost of the Metro.

Taxi both ways is easy enough but a fairly pricey.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM

You can easily park for free Sat at 9am on Constitution Ave. and walk to the WH.

Alternately, bring a few bucks worth of quarters and park on the north side of the WH (try Vermont Ave near H st. NW). Double check the street signs - while most are 2-hour spaces (plenty of time), some are 1-hour or 30 minutes.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 05:13 AM

If you can't find something on Constitution Avenue, try the streets West of the Ellipse, around and behind the American Red Cross and Daughters of the American Revolution buildings. I kind of doubt the meters there apply on Saturdays, but I could be wrong.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 05:19 AM

I should add that you may even be early enough to get a spot right on 17th St next to the Ellipse.

I assume the visitor's entrance to the WH is still off of 15th St, which is the other side of the Ellipse.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM

I work a block from the WH (and live in Williamsburg on the weekends!). There are parking garages on Pennsylvania between 17th and 18th, and on 18th between F and G -- just a block or so walk to the WH. For my garage, Colonial Parking on 18th b/t F and G, during the week I pay $15 per day early bird (before 8 am) -- regular rate is $18 per day. Its valet parking and in 2 plus years I've had no problems with security or leaving my key. There will also probably be plenty of on-street parking in those areas and on and near Constitution Ave early in the day on Saturday. If you want to take the Metro, take the hotel shuttle to Reagan National Airport and then take the blue line into DC (at the airport from hotel shuttle stop, go inside and take the escalator near baggage claim areas B anc C, which will take you up to the overhead walkway to the metro) and get off at McPherson Square (or Farragut West, which is one stop earlier) --walk a few blocks South and you are at the WH. Metro will be cheaper for the 3 of you, but if you have the car in DC, you will save about an hour of time in your exit out of DC for your trip to Williamsburg. The drive to Williamsburg is usually about 2 and a half hours, depending on traffic, of course. There probably will be beach traffic out of DC to Virginia Beach on Saturday. From DC take 395 S --take Constitution to 14th -- follow 14th to 395 S (if they are open, you can take the HOV lanes because you will have 3 people in the car). 395 S will merge into 95 S. From 95 S exit onto 295 S (left hand exit) to 64 E. You can take either exit 234 to Rt 199 left at Jamestown Road or exit 238 R on 132 to get to Colonial Williamburg. Have a great time!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Since you are going this weekend, I would also drive. They are working on various parts of the metro every weekend so far this summer and delays seems to be perpetual. You should be able to find street parking in the morning, as the others have described.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning towards driving in now. I really like the idea of being able to leave right from the White House area and go directly on to Williamsburg. (I appreciate Travelaw's directions to Williamsburg as well!)

Any suggestion on what time I should plan to leave the Radisson to park and arrive at the White House by 9:30?

Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Driving and parking should be a snap that early on Saturday -- although it would have been even easier had W not shut down the Ellipse, which was one of the best parking spots downtown.

If you're not familiar with the area, I'd leave about 8:30 and build in a caution cushion. It's less than 4 miles.

If things click, you could be parked by 8:45. Then just get a coffee and chill out or take the early time for the obligatory shots outside the fence on Pennsylvania Ave.

Going early beats trying to cut it close and stressing out.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:32 AM

I agree. You should plan to be waiting at the entrance gate at 9:15 am. Which means your car should be parked by 9am or a little before.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies. The visitors entrance is closer to 15th than 17th. Does anyone know if there is metered parking available on 15th? If so, it sounds like the Elipse (E street) is about as close as I could park on either 17th or 15th. True?
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:53 AM

I don't think there's any meters on 15th, and in any event a bunch of food vendors line up there very early in the morning and would take up any spaces. It's a pleasant and fairly short walk across the Elipse, with the South Lawn view of the White House, so I wouldn't sweat it.