Search

White House tour-- parking??

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White House tour-- parking??

Hi all--

My Mom and I are scheduled for a tour of the White House and I was wondering where the closest handicapped parking would be. (My Mom uses a wheelchair) The tour office strongly suggested using the metro due to lack of street parking but didn't mention disabled access.

Thanks!

Wendi
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Use Metro. There are elevators to the platforms. Pay attention to the announcements about stations that have elevator outages. The best station to get off for the White House is McPherson Square. If there is a problem with the elevator when you want to go (and I am not saying there will be), then get off at Metro Center and come to the street at 13th Street, NW.

While everything is handicapped accessible, visiting DC involves lots of walking. It can be exhausting even for the able bodied. Allow plenty of extra time to negotiate things--especially when you do not know where you are going.

You want to go into the White House for your tour by the statue of William Tecumseh Sherman on 15th Street towards the South side of the White House.

I would recommend NOT using a car in DC if you are not familiar with the streets, parking, etc. Parking is limited--even for the handicapped. Do you want to be tooling around looking for a spot and miss your tour? I think not. You should take Metro and, if need be, then take a taxi from wherever you exit the Metro.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Better yet, take a cab.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Taxi right up to the White House tour entrance. From your starting point if possible, or from a Metro station or downtown garage if you are coming into the city from a distance.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. We ended up parking in the garage at the Ronald Reagan International Trade building and it was perfect!
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Hope you enjoyed your White House tour.

My personal take on the White House is that it is a lot of trouble for very little. The Capitol is much more interesting. However, it is wise to remember that the new Visitor's Center at The Capitol really is designed to keep tourists out of the building by providing them with exhibits. I find that sort of sad. I remember the days when you could wander in the basement and ride the subway. Those days are gone for good.