Search

Parking in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in NYC

We are considering a trip to NYC this spring. The last time we went, we flew in and did not need parking. This time, we have some other plans on the way and so will be driving.

I think a car will be a liability in Manhattan. I wonder if it might make sense to park at one of the out-lots at an airport and then take a shuttle into the city.

Does anyone have a feel as to whether it would be cheaper to pay for parking at the airport than at the hotel?

Our main priority is to see plays and maybe go to a museum or two. We hope to stay on Manhattan. However, we would not be averse to stay somewhere with convenient transportation.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM

You can park for 24 hours (NOT using the hotel parking) pretty inexpensively. We did that once when we needed our car for the rest of our trip, but not while in Manhattan -- just left the car there for 4 days and picked it up on our way out of town.

http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/fa...ew-garage-llc/
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM

The Travel Inn, which isn't far from the theater district, offers free parking.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM

bestparking.com is a website that will estimate the cost of parking all over Manhattan. Very few hotels have their own garages and even when they offer parking, it's usually in someone else's lot and you're paying over the odds.

In addition to the free parking at Travel Inn, the Skyline, another good budget hotel has $10/night parking. Both are as close to a motel as Manhattan has imo.

There's a ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ called Port Imperial, run by nywaterway.com Last I checked, you could park there for $10/night and then either take the ferry over to Manhattan (fun way to enter although pricey at ~ $8/person) or there are buses that run along River Rd. where the ferry terminal is that go into Port Authority.

There's no good reason imo to park at an airport. Parking there is usually expensive and none are that close. You don't say which direction you're coming from but there are park and ride lots in NJ (Metropark in Iselin, NJ is one) that are another idea if you're coming from that direction.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:41 AM

The Travel Inn is the only hotel is Manhattan with free parking.

Most hotels will charge $35 to $40 per night for parking. If that is more than leaving it at the airport depends on how many nights you will be parking plus the cost of transit to and ro the airports.

How many people will you have and how much luggage. Do you want to schlep on the Air Train and train or subway - or do yuo want a shuttle bus - at $30 per person round trip.

Where is yuor hotel in New York and how will you get there from where the train or bus drops you off?

Where will you be coming from and going to - so which airport will you need. Probable Newark - but not sure?

For 2 or more people and only 2 or 3 nights I would drive into the city and park at the cheapest garage near your hotel. If you are staying in the city more nights leaving the car outside starts to make more sense financially - although IMHO still a PIA.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM

It's not that much cheaper to leave your car in the airport parking lot as opposed to a Manhattan garage (though it can be half the price depending on the hotel). But many people don't want to spend $20 to $40 per night just to park their car regardless. The difficult part is that commuter parking lots fill up quickly, so you are limited to where you can go (and not all the lots are properly guarded).

I'd recommend driving into the city and parking your car for a few days. The car will be a liability in Manhattan, but it's easy enough to find parking. However, there are some hotels in Queens with limited free streetside parking (the Ramada in Long Island City comes to mind). All the hotels in Secaucus have free parking, but the trip into the city from there is not convenient, and I'd much prefer to be in Manhattan. But I would not recommend parking on the street in Manhattan. Too many rules and too much towing.

Where are you coming from? That would help us to recommend specific commuter parking lots that might work for you.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!

We are driving from the midwest and will stay in NYC for 4 nights. We don't plan to take a lot of luggage. I am guessing that we will just have a carry-on size suitcase each.

I hadn't booked a hotel when I posted this morning. However, after the first responses, I have a reservation (which can be cancelled) at the Travel Inn. Reviews seemed to be fine for it and it looks walkable to Times Square or the subway. The price averaged less than $160 per night which sounded reasonable for NYC. I thought I should take it while rooms were available and then could change later.

Another hotel which I happened upon when booking the Travel Inn was Broadway at Times Square. It doesn't include parking, but does include wi-fi and a continental breakfast. Adding in for the garage parking (it says $23/day) and the difference in rate, it would cost us about an extra $50 per night. Not sure if it is worth that for the location/Bf/wi-fi.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Manhattan has one of the lowest car ownership percentages in the country. There are good and bad reasons for that.

77% do not own cars.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Stay at the Travel Inn, it's a decent place, close to everything you want to see via foot or subway, AND the parking is free as you know, saving quite a bit. 160 is a good rate for any hotel in the city.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

When I saw the $160, I thought I should jump on it. When we went in October of 2010, I missed getting a discount that was great at Club Quarters and then was happy to find something in the lower $200s.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 04:12 AM

The Broadway at Times Square is a former Comfort Inn. While the location is a bit better, I wouldn't pay $50/night more for it.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

I don't know what dates you're planning to get such a good rate at the Travel Inn, but if you want a place with free b/f and wifi, the Wingate by Wyndham is a nicer hotel and offers that.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion - I just checked the Wingate and it's $220ish for our dates. I really lucked out on the Travel Inn. Well - it wasn't all luck - it's thanks to Abram.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Glad to help!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Our trip was last week and we arrived back home last night.

The Travel Inn was perfect for our needs. It was easy to access off the Lincoln Tunnel and within a walkable distance from the subway and the shows. The hotel itself was also fine.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:31 PM

Jsst this past weekend I stayed at the Four Points Midtown (across from Port Authority on 40th, I thought the location was fine for midtown) for $129 a night, a great deal. Parking at the Peach garage a few doors down on same block of 40th was $28 night.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM

and u get free wifi at Four Points hotels in Manhattan...
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM

Parking around Greenwood cemetery (Brooklyn) is usually available, although it is convenient only for the few days around the weekend because of alternate day parking rules. It is only three or four local stops from the Pacific subway station where one can catch the D train directly into Manhattan.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow - emd. That was great. Our room averaged $140 - less on the first two days (T/W), more on the last two (Th/F).

Thanks for mentioning it as I'll be able to refer to this note and check it out next time we go.

Debbie
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM

I am glad that it looks like that might work out for you at Four Points Midtown.

The Four Points are always worth checking (esp. this one in Midtown) as are the Choice Hotels in NYC. They also have garages they have their guests park at with good rates, and their hotel rates (in particular the Comfort Inns and GEM hotels)are good, and much of the time REALLY good.

BTW, Four Points Midtown has two garages on the same block as the hotel and both cost $28 a night for a car. Peach, and other one is Best. Parking was big consideration for me, as I was driving a 10 ft rental moving truck and so had to pay for two parking spaces. But even then, with the $129 rate, it came to around $200, which was really good I thought.

It was a real trip driving into MAnhattan w/a truck. I learned a whole lot fast about driving "oversized vehicles" in Manhattan. After the nice NYPD policeman stopped me, I ended up driving from the GW Bridge all the way down Broadway from 178th st to 40th st to the hotel. Really fun driving through Times Square and dodging tourists in a Budget rental truck by myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -