Parking in New York City

Search

Parking in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in New York City

We plan to stay at either the Lucerne Hotel or the Gorham hotel. Are there better options than using the hotel facilities?
Also is parking at Newark airport and taking a shuttle in a viable option for a four day stay?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Bob without giving us some prices, it's hard to say. The Lucerne doesn't have a garage, they have an arrangement with one a few blocks away (drop off luggage first at hotel)where you get a discount with validation from the hotel but I don't remember the price. Don't know about the Gorham.
Are you passing Newark to come to NY? Are you talking about parking there & taking luggage on the shuttle into NYC? If you've got to pass Newark & the price difference is great AND you don't mind dragging the luggage, do it.
I know there are garages in the low 60's around York Ave that are less expensive on a monthly basis than the average but I don't know how they'd compare to the hotels' rates.
If you're not passing by Newark & are looking for an out of the city alternative, there are parking lots (open) in Long Island City near the 59th St bridge where you can park & lock & take a subway into the city.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:04 AM

I work in Brooklyn. I NEVER pay for parking. I NEVER got a parking ticket. I am superb when it comes to taking routes to avoid tolls. Please state where you are coming from, what days you will be in NY, the location of your hotel, and the car that you drive. I'll respond back with a good place to keep the car when you are here. I ask about your car because some cars are in demand by thieves. The cars that are in demand may not be very obvious. For instance, a thief will take a 4 year old Honda quicker than a new Corvette.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 03:11 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 03:48 PM

I've parked at Newark and taken the shuttle into the city for business before - several times - Newark is safe and the shuttle will take you right to your hotel. Can't really remember $$$ but I think it's like $10 - 15/day for parking??

Last time I was in the city for leisure (only 2 days) I just parked at the hotel 'cuz I didn't wanna lose out on valuable "tourist" time.

4 days? I'd go with Newark airport parking if you're gonna pass right by it. Quick, easy, hassel-free in my opinion.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 03:52 PM

As a person who lives and parks on the isle of Manhattan, I can also tell you great places to park on the street and not pay a dime, not get a ticket, etc. But what you really need to decide first is how much of hassle do you want and what are you willing to put up with. Dilbert is right, the days of the week you will be here is the most important factor. Give a breakdown and I'm sure you will get plenty of advice, all of it good. But remember, it can get so very expensive to park in midtown - upwards of $40.00 a day - that it can actually be cheaper to fly from some cities.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:11 PM

There was another inquiry within the last few days with some really good recommendations in the replies. Try scrolling down...
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Yes, there was a similar thread a couple of days ago,which I responded to, and I will respond with the same thought & advice.

You must remember that while parking out at Newark may be cheaper per day, you MUST PAY to get to/from Newark and Manhattan. Asumming there is at least 2 people traveling, it will cost you about $11/12 per person EACH WAY to get to/from Newark airport to Manhattan. That would be using a shuttle bus service or the Airtrain monorail & NJ Transit commuter train combo. Thus, for 2 people, it will cost you $22 total to get to or from Newark, for a total cost of $44 JUST to get back and forth. One of my fellow NYC-area posters, Owen O'Neil, also posted on the other thread about parking in NYC. Here is a section I cut & pasted:
'Hotel parking will vary wildly in price from $25 to $60 per night including taxes. The perimeter lots mentioned are worth considering - out on 11th Ave in the 40's if I recall. There's a nice secure indoor garage on 43rd just past 10th heading west - it's the first parking garage sign on the block (can also enter from 44th). Price for 24 hours is $16 including all taxes. Over in the east side in midtown it's much tougher to find a bargain - I can't find anything much under $25 per night over there. If the Garment District is convenient, there's a garage on 38th between 8th and 9th that is about $18 for 24 hours but it's not open all night - closes at 11 PM. They have an exit onto 37th that makes for a relatively easy exit to the Lincoln Tunnel or West Side Highway. It's a more central location the place out on 43rd but getting out to the tunnel takes longer at busy times of day.'

So, what I suggest is driving into Manhattan, drop off luggage at hotel, buy a $4 Metropass, then go park the car in a reasonable lot. This way you aren't fumbling with luggage on public transportation. If you use one of the lots that Owen pointed out, the money that you would have used to get to/from Newark if you parked there could be used to pay for 2 of the 4 nights of parking. By the same token, when you are leaving, you can have someone get the car, and drive back to the hotel to pickup the luggage, so you're not slepping luggage all over.

Part of value traveling is knowing when saving several $ is worth it, vs. the hassle of less-expensive but more inconvienent alternatives. Since you are only parking for 4 nts, I would park it in Manhattan in a lot not directly at your hotel. In fact, that's what I do with the car that I own in Manhattan. The garages in my immediate neighborhood are $450-$500/month. SO I park it about 17 blocks away - 15-20 min. walk -and only pay $250/month.

The reason I suggested to buy the $4 daily metrocard right away is so you can use it for bus and/or subway when you park away from your hotel - plus you can use it for the rest of the day/evening.

So think about this option.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:39 PM

When are you making this NYC trip? Street parking will be a disaster for a while, due to the fact that 26" of snow fell over ost of the city last night. Good luck!!!

*MINA*