Cheapest/Easiest way to get from LGA to Theater District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming to NYC in March and wondering if anyone knows of the best way to get from LGA to hotel in the theater district. Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM

The best and easiest way is to take a cab. Of course, that's not the cheapest, however. Which one do you want? You can't have it both ways?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:31 PM

The best way, as Howard says, is by cab. LGA is not that far from Manhattan & if there are 2 or more of you,it could wind up costing the same as a bus. There is a bus that stops near Grand Central Station but then you'd have to get to the west side to your hotel. If you are staying at a chain hotel (Marriott, Ramada etc.) make sure they don't have courtesy bus service.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Rob

A taxi is the way to go. Cost will be around 25 dollars and trip should take 30 to 40 minutes.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Best to cab it.Using buses and subways would be too inconvenient and time consuming from that area of Queens. Hopefully it won't be during rush hour!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:50 PM

The cheapest way to get from LGA into Mahattan would be by public transportation however, the easiest way is by cab. My preference would be to take the cab. Below is a link to different transportation options from LGA into Manhattan.

Have a great time in The City.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation.html
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Public transport may not be cheaper. The shuttle bus will cost more for three people than a taxi, for example. How many are you. We found that the taxi was just a slight bit more that two shuttle tickets.
But no question -- take a taxi!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Take the Q33 bus to 74th Street and Roosevelt Avenue. Then take the E/F subway into Manhattan. This takes less than an hour and costs $1.35pp with a Metro Card. With a Metro Card a ride can consist of a bus leg than a subway leg. Without one you have to pay $1.50 per leg. The $1.35 price includes the 10% discount for people who purchase 10 trip Metro Cards.

This ride can be much quicker than a cab. Believe it or not, it can also be more pleasant. Taxi drivers in Queens are terrible, with frequently dirty old Lincolns. Driving with one of them can be harrowing.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:53 AM

The New York Airport Service http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html shuttle is $16 pp round trip if booked in advance online, 1 child < 12 free allowed with each adult. Stops at Grand Central, PABus, & Penn, and shuttles (you must transfer at GCT) to midtown hotels between 33rd and 57th Streets, although the extra time for shuttles might make a taxi from Grand Central worthwhile. No extra charge if caught in traffic, unlike a cab a good reason to consider a shuttle. If you want Cheap, I've taken M60 bus to 4/5/6 subway, but Dilbert's suggestion is probably better. And of course, taxi is easiest.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Dilbert may be quite right, but I wouldn't want to do it with luggage!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Once in an insane bit of "money saving" planning, we took the shuttle from LaGuardia to our hotel-- the Marriott Marquis. It cost us as much as the taxi would have -- at that time about $12 or $13 each. It took us over 2 and a half hours to get there. We didn't realize that we had to transfer at Grand Central Station, and when we got there, we waited over a half hour for the transfer shuttle to get there. We then spent the next hour in bumper to bumper traffic crawling to four other hotels before ours -- going north to the New York Hilton, before heading back to the south and The Marquis. We started to panic as we had tickets to a show and weren't even sure we'd make it.
Never ever again!!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I'm a smart money kind of guy with a hint of being cheap. I suggest this route because it is cheap and immune to traffic problems, which can be incredible in NYC. Taxi ripoffs of tourists are NUMERO UNO of any tourist ripoff out there. The whole industry reeks. Let them get out of sight. As a whole, they are aggressive, they show New Yorks bad side to tourists, they are unsafe drivers.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:42 AM
GoTravel

Dilbert, dude, chill. Taxis aren't ripoffs! They are regulated by the city. They work just as hard as you or I work and don't deserve to be judged so harshly. I've taken a taxi hundreds of times from LGA to Midtown and it has always ranged between $23-$30.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I think the entertainment I've gotten from some of my taxi drivers have eclipsed the entertainment I've gotten at a few Broadway shows. Our last one in from LaGuardia was a woman from Slovenia who gave us the funniest bunch of political views I've ever heard, paired with the stories of all her illegitimate grandchildren, scattered around the world.

But my favorite taxi ride was from downtown heading to midtown, when the rattletrap old taxi hit a big pot hole and the meter fell off the dash and became disconnected. At the same time, something major happened and the taxi wouldn't restart. The driver told us we'd have to get another cab. We'd gone part way and tried to give him 5 bucks, but he absolutely refused to take any money, apologizing for that sorry piece of s$-^#%&*@@#$.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:23 AM

You're gonna have to take a cab, sugar, but it'll only run you about $35 with tip. It's a flat-rate from LGA or JFK to anywhere in Manhattan.
Your only other option is to take the internal airport shuttle bus to the Marine Air Terminal..... catch the Q47 bus to the 74th & Roosevelt subway station..... and finally, take the R train to 49th St in Manhattan.... then walk to your theatre. Long way to go!!!

*MINA*
New Orleans
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Dilbert is correct about public transportation but I would NEVER do it with luggage. Take a cab, it's the easiest way into the city. I would, however, check w/your hotel to see if they don't have some sort of courtesy bus.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:23 PM
JVS

My God, Take the M4! It'll cost you $1.50 and will take you as far as 110th St./Broadway. From there you can take a cab ($4-$7) or the 1/9 subway train(free x-fer)to your destination. The M4 is very reliable (we take it all the time to catch flights)and cheap.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:31 PM

catch a crab. don't knock yourself out, see for yourself how strong the taxi lobby was in NYC, that both major airports, lag and jfk, DONT have subway access!! or, better yet, hire a limo to meet you at baggage claim, the cost will be about $45-55 -- not much more than a cab, you'll go in style, and not have to wait on incredibly long taxi lines at the areoport.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:41 PM

A couple of suggestions/corrections
Cab it if there are 2 or more of you and you have some luggage. Cab fare is NOT fixed from LGA (it is from JFK, but not LGA) and will cost about $25, a few dollars more if there's more traffic. When you get a cab at the airpport, an official dispatcher gives you a card with the cab's medallion number and the approximate prices to areas in NY. Cabbies ripping off tourists is now mostly an unpleasant memory of the 1980s.
JVS is probably thinking of the m-60 bus, (not the m-4 )which takes you from LGA to 110th and Broadway, and yes you can take a cab from there but it will surely be more than $4-7 (it costs $2.oo to start, and getting to the theater district (at least 60 block, 3 miles) will add more than just a couple $$. IMHO, that combination has the slowness of the bus, but adds to the expense with a cab. If you've got time (about one hour from LGA to the terminus at 106th and Broadway)and only a small carryon, yes, you can take the bus and then a quick (15 minute)subway ride. Keep in mind that the transfer from bus to subway is free only if you pay with a Metrocard (which can be hard to find/buy at the airport) not if you pay cash. (Dilbert's bus/train route also sounds reasonable, but I'm not familiar with it. Again, you need to have a Metrocard in order to make it at the cheapest price)

Shuttle services and airport busses will probably end up costing you close to, if not the same as, a cab for 2 people. If you take the airport bus, it also may not stop at your hotel (I thought they go to specific stops and bus terminals, but some may go to hotels--obviously they can't go to every hotel in NYC, so you may still have a walk.ride ahead of you)

Personally, I would take the cab and relax.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Take a cab. It always runs around $25 plus or minus a few $. If the driver asks if you want to go via the tunnel or a bridge tell him whichever is faster. The toll will be added to the fare on the meter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -