parking in Chinatown/Little Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked one night at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel which does NOT have parking. We are driving in to the city on Thursday a.m. for a 1.00 p.m. Mets game and then staying Thursday night. I was thinking we should park near the hotel in the a.m. (drop bags at hotel since too early to check in, or leave locked in car and get them later when we do check in at the hotel). Where to park? I know from past experience it won't be cheap, but looking for suggestions that are as reasonable as possible and as convenient as possible to the hotel which is on 231 Grand St
Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM

I don't have suggestions for the parking, but please don't leave your luggage in your car!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This seems to be the closest: Mtp Chrystie Corporation‎, 89 Chrystie St, New York, NY‎ - (212) 431-7778‎ - 0.1 mi SE

If you enter the hotel address in Google maps (specify Manhattan), then use the search function to look for parking garages, you'll find several others.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

So it's not safe to leave luggage in a locked car in a paid parking garage? Even if it's not visible?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
J62

1. Drive to hotel & drop off bags & unpack everything you'll need from the car. While chances are high your bags would be safe locked in your car it's just inviting a problem you can easily avoid. If you're lucky your room will be ready and you can check-in, but you are correct you should not expect to. A good hotel will bring your bags to your room for you when it's ready.

2. Park your car in a nearby garage, then take the subway to the Mets game & back.

Don't expect to be able to retrieve anything from your car while it's in the garage. I can't count the times someone I know has left something on the seat they wanted for the day - sunglasses, water bottle, sweater, etc, etc, etc, and they only remembered after the car was driven away to park.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM

If it's in the trunk and the garage is manned is should be fine. I've done this literally hundreds of times. Just make sure it's a relaible garage - not one of those no-name outdoor lots where the person taking the money has no control over entry to the premises.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
J62

Since the garages are manned as nyt says I find it a pain to try to retrieve something from the car once I drop if off, especially if you're not planning to actually take your car with you. It's not like you can just walk up to your car, pop the trunk & get your bags.

You'd have to wait for the attendant to be free, give them your claim ticket, explain that you just wanted to get something, they'd go away and show up in a few min with your car, then have them drive it back into the garage to park again.

When I park my car in NYC I like to consider it locked away, out of sight & mind until I'm ready to drive home.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM

Never leave your luggage in the car in New York.

Why did you get a hotel in Chinatown when you're going to a Mets game?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

BigRuss, it's an afternoon game and we plan to spend the rest of the evening and most of Friday in Manhattan (including the obligatory stop @ Canal Street for my 15 year old daughter to buy sunglasses/purses) before heading home - plus we got a great deal. When we go in for the day we park @ Port Authority and take the subway, so figured could easily do the same thing from Chinatown..
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM

bestparking.com will show you all the lots nearby and relative prices. iconparking.com lets you reserve a spot and guarantee a price if you print out the receipt and bring it with you.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Yes, drop your luggage and anything you'll need out of your car at the hotel. The bell stand will hold it for you. Chances are your car will be buried and you will not see it again until you leave.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Luggage shouldn't be left in a car - anywhere - if it can be avoided. If something is missing, good luck trying to deal with the garage's management. How would you prove it? They usually have posted that they are NOT responsible for possessions left in the car.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:32 AM

I have been hearing commercials for coupons for parking in nyc.
www.radio.centralparking.com i think that's it.