Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Park City v. Snowbird 4 family winter vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family winter vacation between X-Mas & New Years. We live in SoCal and are traveling with a 7 and 4 year old.

Two years ago we went to Snowbird during the same period and had a GREAT time. Snowbird had excellent snow, convenient ski in and out, and a WONDERFUL kids club/School. We were able to drop our kids off and go ski/snow mobiling.

We stayed at the Cliff's Lodge and in hindsight our room was average. The food was also average (maybe slightly above average.) But they transported us to and from the airport and around the resort (so no car rental) the service was attentive and I remember the vacation being hassle free.

As a result, we were planning on going back. However, a friend suggested we try Park City or Deer Valley. We were told that the accommodations, shopping and night life is better. My question is do they have any hotels with great kids clubs/schools. It would be great to have a better hotel/shopping/restaraunts, but not if we could not it it meant sacrificing kid amenities.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Help!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM

rdpesq,

I am a diehard Snowbird/Alta fan but I'll try to help.

It is true that Park City offers more shopping, dining and lodging opportunities. It is an actual town and very nice. And you have the choice of skiing at several places, including Deer Valley. But to take advantage of the variety, you would probably need a rental car.

You are going early season, and the Park City area ski runs are at lower elevation than Snowbird and Alta. This is something you should consider.

Also, many people who prefer Park City do so for the nightlife opportunities, which is probably not a consideration for you with 2 small children.

Did you stay in the hotel rooms at the Cliff? And where did you dine that you were disappointed in the food? The cantina downstairs in the cliff is not particularly great, but there are other restaurants around that are quite good. (Like the Steak Pit).

Since you already know you like the children's program at Snowbird, you might take a look at staying either in a condo at the Cliff, or one of the other lodges there. We liked Iron Blosam when my kids were small (but not as small as yours, so I don't know about the kid's program).

Hopefully someone will be able to answer more specifically about Park City.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM

As the previous poster said - Park City is a real town so you can walk around. There is an extensive shuttle bus service that goes around town and to the various ski areas. Because it is a town, there are more restaurant options from gourmet to McDonalds. I know there are transportation services to/from the airport but don't know if any are affiliated with hotels. Being a senior citizen, I can't help you with children's programs. Certainly, all the ski areas in town, Park City, Deer Valley and the Canyons have kids' ski schools. Have fun.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nora and Swampy:

I especially enjoyed the Steak Pit. They even have/had a resident porcupine that they fed. The Cantina was fine, but I was not overwhelmed with either restaraunt in the Cliff.

We stayed in a Deluxe Hotel room. Again, it was a perfectly acceptable room but we have stayed in better. Maybe a condo would work.

What we may do is stay in Snowbird and do a day trip to Park City.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Park City, Deer Valley, and The Canyons are all geared towards family vacations so all three have great ski school and childrens activities. Deer Valley does not allow snowboarding so take that into consideration. You'll want to stay at the Resort Center if your are going to PCMR and putting kids in ski school. The school is located near the Resort Center so if you stay near the town lift or the new Silver Star lift you'll be a couple of chairs from the base. The Resort Center also has fun activities such as an ice rink for the kids. Use a grocery delivery service like http://www.thegrocerygirls.com to stock your condo or hotel with snacks so that you don't have to mess around at the store. If you aren't planning on eating in much try a few of Park City's many great restaurants. Grub Steak is a family favorite and the Red Banjo has some of the best pizza in town.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Doesn't Alta also forbid snowboards?
IMHO Alta has the BEST terrain in the country.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Yes, Alta is "snowboard-free". And I agree, they have the best terrain.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM

rdpesq,

Snowbird is my favorite place and I've been skiing there since they opened. I live in Park City and yes, it's a fun town. Deer Valley is also skiing only, if that matters.

The Cottonwood Canyons always have better snow. It's a hard choice. If you loved Snowbird and Alta, maybe stick with success. If you might want to try something different, including more and better dining choices, try the Park City resorts.

PS - there is a great restaurant in Little Cottonwood between Snowbird and Alta - The Shallow Shaft. Reservations far in advance needed.

I too love the Steak Pit and even used to work there.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM

Well, as my screen name says, "Ski Park City". For mobility reasons (and not getting stuck in the Cottonwoods during an avalanche or road closure - missing your plane), Park City has free transit. Yes, it will cost you to get up here, however,once you are here, if you find a condo (yes, condo) on the free transit route, you'll be quite happy. Note: a condo can cost the same as a hotel room! Really! Check the Chamber of Commerce's site for specials.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:51 AM

Deer Valley has an excellent children's ski school, one of the best in the country. You need to make reservations for it asap since you will be there one of the busiest weeks of the year. DV is also a good choice on the crowded holidy week as it limits the number of skiers on the mountain.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM

You guys in Park City better start doing a snow dance or something! Miserable start to the season. I was hoping to come to PC in late Jan but I'm not optimistic with this weather. The weather pattern seems to be alternating every other year as of late.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM

Loki,

We've been doing our snow dance. Now, if you would just say a few words to Mother Nature.....
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM

I'm in the NE so my prayers are being answered with cold weather out here. It's been a great start for us. I couldn't believe it a week or two ago when I saw the overnight low @ PCMR was 50F! We had a great season last year, knock on wood. I went to DV/Alta-Bird in 2007 and it was a so-so year, of course, 2006 & 2008 were epic... That's skiing.