Park City Skiing - another first-timer's questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be heading out to Park City with a few friends over Presidents Day weekend. We'll have 4 solid days of skiing (getting in late Friday night, departing Wednesday morning). We have successfully booked a condo right near Main Street in PC.

Would appreciate any advice with the following:

1. Which mountain(s)? Given that we have only 4 days, which of the three nearby resorts (PCMR, Deer Valley, Canyons) should we choose to focus our time? We're all advanced-intermediate skiiers. Is it practical to try to visit all 3 mountains in 4 days, or should we focus on two of them--and if so, which two? Any opinions appreciated. Also, are there any multi-mountain passes that do NOT require you to book lodging? The only one I came across is the "Silver Passport" which is sold in conjunction with lodging.

2. Practical question: Which is the best (i.e., most frequent and cheapest) bus line between SLC Airport and Park City? There seem to be tons of options, not sure which is the way to go.

3. Restaurants: We would like to have at least one or two "blow-out" meals while we're out there. We're a food-centric bunch. I've done my research here on fodors and a lot of people have mentioned Glitretind, Goldener Hirsch, Mariposa, and the Seafood Buffet. Are these still the crowd favorites? And is that Seafood Buffet similar to high-end Vegas buffets? Trying to imagine what seafood is like in the middle of the mountains!

Thanks very much for any input!

Matt
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, looks like someone posted a very similar question to my #1 earlier today. But I'd appreciate any responses to my other questions--thanks!

Matt
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Hi Matt,

1. Since you have 4 days, spend 1 day at each mountain and decide which area you want to repeat for day #4! Skiing is HIGHLY subjective, as you well know, and everyone has their own favorites. Even amoung your friends, everyone will have a different preference. Note: snowboarders are not allowed at DV. Each of the 3 has some pretty challenging black bowls/chutes at the top.

Sorry, can't help with the multi-day pass and lodging combo.

2. There are no public bus lines between SLC Intl and PC. There are many shuttle services: Park City Transportation, All Resorts Express are two of them.

The Seafood Buffet at Deer Valley's Snow Park Lodge is excellent. You will pop. I believe they have the buffet twice a week and it's flown in just for the buffet.

Other excellent restaurants:

Grappa, Chimayo, 350 Main, Chez Betty, and many people like Kampai (sushi). Wasatch Brewery also good and less $$.

Very good, reasonable place for all 3 meals: The Eating Establishment

Kimball Junction very good: Red Rock Brewery and Hapa Grill.

Hope this helps.

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle. We were just wondering if one mountain per day might be too hectic... not to mention that we'd have to wait on line for a lift ticket every morning (as opposed to buying them in advance).

Appreciate the advice!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM

My preference would be to ski two areas for two days each. I find that it takes me a little time to get to know what runs I like in a new area, so I don't like to switch every day. You'd only have to buy lift tickets twice.

We ski blues and blacks, and we like all three areas.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM

We go at the same time every year and have bought the multi-mountain pass just at the resort. Its very easy to use and you can use it at each resort. Park City and Deer Valley are pretty close to each other and we always swap back and forth between them. I have never skiied Canyons before but it is the first resort you hit from the highway and so is a little futher away from Main Street. The snow in Park city is wonderful and we have never had a trouble with lift lines because there are so many of them available for use. I have skiied in Colorado, and california resorts and find Park City the most user friendly.

For service from the airport to the resorts, its the private shuttles that others have recommended. We always get a car because we have kids.

Have fun, itsv
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That's the first I've heard that it's possible to purchase a multi-mountain pass... other than through the lodging company with the "Silver Passport." Itsv, you were able to purchase this pass at the ticket window of one of the resorts? If so, maybe that's the easiest thing to do to allow for maximum flexibility.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Important note Matty,

Deer Valley sells out during Christmas and President's Holidays (they limit their ticket sales to ensure a "first class experience" for the $70- something bucks). Be sure to buy your lift tickets for DV the afternoon before the day you want to ski!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Oh another IMPORTANT note: Be sure the Silver Passport is good for DV for this weekend. They tend to have black out dates, Christmas and President's being some of them!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM

I've skied both-Park City is terrific and you will LOVE the town. Deer Valley is very chi-chi. I remember while skiing one time my father and I had lunch at the lodge and I had a steak with bernaise sauce and the best caesar salad. It's very high class and the food is NOT cheap. However, it would be a nice experience for a day or 2. I didn't find it half as challenging as PC but since the amt of ppl is limited there are fewer lines and overall it's a lovely resort to try.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:52 AM

you are going to love park city
we enjoyed a week there and actually, off season, had time to go fly fishing and to robert redfordīs sundance resort for lunch, besides skiing more than we could ever want. great snow.

gorgeous area.

i LOVE its proximity to the airport. utah really is set-up as skiers paradise, isnīt it?!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Very excited, thank you for these replies. I did know about the need to purchase Deer Valley lift tickets in advance (especially over President's Day weekend)... that's part of why I'm even worried about planning in the first place. The key is really figuring out whether to a) Plan on seeing all three resorts over 4 days, b) split time 2/2 between Deer Valley and either PCMR or Canyons, or c) reserve at least one day at Deer Valley and then just wing it for the remainder of the trip.

I have to admit, it's not in my personality to just wing it, especially over President's Day weekend. So that's the dilemma.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Matty,

I would plan at least one day at DV. It's definitely worth that.

Yes, lincasanova, that's why I live here. Oh for the good old days before word on Utah got out. $7.50 for an all day tram ticket at the Bird and walk on trams all day, every day!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM

the best way to go is to call the taxi companies for park city & ask for a guy named george
he drove us both ways from airport to park city--he's a real prince of a guy
i'll see if i can find his card at the house & get you his number...