Search

Skiing in Utah

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiing in Utah

My two brothers (25,19) and myself (22) plan on taking our second annual ski trip across the US. We had our first exposure to real skiing last year in Colorado (Breck, Keystone, Copper) (just a tad bit larger than the ones in IL)

We are thinking of trying the Park City area a try this year. We think it will be very convenient (close enough to the airport, 3 resorts in the area). We would be going sometime before christmas (either December 15-19 or December 19-22).

We have not made any reservations our anything, instead busy studying for finals, but it is time.

So please if you have any advice for us, where is the most centralized location for us to stay (and pretty cheap), best place to get discount tickets, best way to get around (we are considering renting a car as we finally get the over 25 or older rates), best resorts to visit, etc. etc. We would all very much appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:39 AM

You can do Park City, but why limit yourself? Although Park City is very good, if you're going for skiing itself, there's better skiing, better snow and cheaper nearby.

Go to Salt Lake City and stay at a bargain place downtown. Get the ski ticket on the light rail that drops you at the Cottonwood Canyons buses. (You can also stay in the burbs, there are some motels right on the route.

Chose between Alta and Snowbird on one bus or Solitude and Brighton on the other. Asks a local for the best place for discount tickets. Most of the downtown ski shops have them.

Snowbird is a far more impressive place than anything you skied in Colorado and Alta is the a longtime favorite (something about that 24 inches of untracked that I had first crack at a few years back ...)

Park City does have a cool ski town feel, but you'll pay for the chic feel and the skiing isn't nearly as good. Plus, if economy is part of the equation, Deer Valley (over-rated hill with great amenities) wouldn't be on my list. My guess is that you guys don't care about having china plates at the on-mountain restaurant.

Try this site:
http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass.shtml
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 07:06 AM

FYI, the daily trip from SLC to slopes is $5 roundtrip and covers light rail and bus.

Also, if you ever want to do a driving trip, here's one I did from the Midwest years ago:
1) Red Loge (Mont.)
2) Bridge Bowl (Mont.)
3) Big Sky (Mont.)
4) Jackson Hole (Wyo.)

All are close enough that you can drive to the next one (some are heavy-duty drives) after skiing that day. I should have added Grand Targhee (Idaho) but ran out of time.

BTW, a good midwestern trip is Lutsen, by closest to Western skiing in the region.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM
jor

I have skied Park City, Deer Valley and Sundance. If you want to do it on the cheap and have a great time check out Sundance. Its never crowded, no lines, great snow and lifts, and cheper lift tickets. There are two small working class towns nearby called Midway and Heber City (where three TV series have been shot) with lots of moderate priced motels. Sundance is is about a 20 minute drive away.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM

oops. that's Red Lodge and Bridger Bowl, of course.

jeez, jor, that's terrible advice. these guys are going in a couple of weeks and Sundance rarely has good early snow.

The snow reports today:
Alta 73-75 inches base and skiing.
Sundance -- planning to open Dec. 10

Why? Cottonwood Canyon areas average 500 inches of snow per year. Sundance gets 300.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

repete you are right on about us "not caring about having china plates at the on-mountain restaurant". (no offense to anyone that does).

Yes, all we want to do it SKI! We are flying into Salt Lake City and will be ready to go. We ARE going to rent a car (worried the buses/light rail (even though I've never heard of the light rail before) won't be too reliable and too inconvenient. We are looking to ski at 3 different mountains for the 3/4 days we are there.

My older brother is for the rental car, think that will be easier to carry our skis in and such. How much should a 4 day rental car run (SUV to carry our skis)? Any good advice where to get ski rental for 4 days? Same place at where the discount lift tickets are?

We would want a hotel close to where we plan on skiing. Midway and Heber City? Are these both pretty centralized? Nothing special at all, no bugs, heat, we are happy.

My knowledge of our ski mountain options are limited. This is what has been mentioned so far.

No Snow at Sundance
Snowbird a winner?
Alta?
Solitude?
We are looking for a place with good intermediate sking. Long adventurious trails. We are not out to kill ourselves and will never touch even a black diamond.

We really appreciate the help! Please keep it coming!

Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Solitude would be a nice place to start. It's 70 percent novice or intermediate. Snowbird is 65, but their ratings seem a little tougher. It's just a wonderfully impressive mountain. Alta's also 65. It's cheaper and has fewer fast lifts, but is a great friendly place. Brighton is 61 and it's the only one of the three I haven't skied.

A car's fine, but they jack up the rates for 4WD and ski racks.

the light rail is basically an above ground subway. It's very reliable. The buses are specially rigged for mountains so they go through just about anything. The light rail takes about 10-15 mninutes from downtown SLC and the buses are 45-minutes to Snowbird. I'm not a big bus person, but this was a nice exception -- especially if you end your day with a quick trip to the bar. Driving will save 15-20 minutes because these buses only make three or four stops.

Slopeside rooms in any place with good skiing will more than double your cost. If saving dough is the answer, get a place in Sandy.

For the combination of skiing and city amenities, though, I'd stay at one of the many cheap downtown motels and light rail it.

There are a couple of downtown ski shops that had rental deals and discount tix.

Forget the Midway/Heber City idea -- Sundance is 2,000 feet lower than the Cottonwood areas, hence difference in snow.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice..

Anyone else have advice where the best skiing for us is?

Best area to stay in to ski at a variety of mountains? Cheap, Convenient (centralized between mountains)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM
jor

Repete, thanks for slamming my suggestions. We have stayed in Heber City four separate years for our ski vacations and had a great time at a cheap price skiing on three area mountains. Can you talk about anything else besides light rail, light rail? They said they are renting a car and you still go on with the light rail. And suggesting ski areas not suited for intermediate skiers?

Heber City hotels link:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g5...ah-Hotels.html
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
jor

and BTW repete, you don't need a 4WD or a ski rack on a rental to haul skis. We rented a mid size car with a back seat pass through for skies which still holds four people very nicely and much easier to load and unload. Its not the 70's anymore. Get with it.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Jor:

Please find where I said anything that you need a 4WD to haul skis.

Here's what I said:
``A car's fine, but they jack up the rates for 4WD and ski racks.''

Repeat: ``A car's fine.''

My criticism of Sundance was valid. It's 2,000 feet lower than the Cottonwood resorts and receives 200 fewer inches (16 1/2 feet) of snow.

And it's not even open! Why travel 1,500 miles to ski at a place that was scratching to get open. It's not in the ballpark with the places I mentioned. Deer Valley doesn't fit the OP's budget. Park City and Canyons are fine, but are much more likely to be crowded. The condition and number of lifts running in early December may it a dicier proposition.

Alta is great for the budget-minded and has plenty of intermediate terrain. Solitude is an intermediate's dream. Snowbird, for all of its tough slopes, has wonderful easier trails all the way from its 11,000-foot summitt.

I'm with it. Please read my posts at least twice before you rip me for something that's not there.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:38 PM
jor

Repete, You Don't Need 4WD And You Don't Need A Rental With A Ski Rack. You also don't need Light Rail if you Rent A Car. Do I have to Repeat it again?

FYI Sundance opens before Usacubs stated they will be skiing. Daaaa

Don't be a snob.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:04 AM

For lodging, check out the Residence Inn in Sandy or the Extended Stay in Sandy or Midvale. Both are well lcoated. The extended stays have a kitchenette if that's what you want, the Residence Inn has a buffet for breakfast.

As for skiing. A strong recommendation for Alta (there's nothing else like it in this country) and Solitude. I would also suggest a trip to Snowbird as well. True its got the tough stuff, but its a great mountain and has plenty for intermediates.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

First of all, no fighting you two! I appreciate the help!

The buffet breakfast is a great idea! We would be certain to get our moneys worth there. Any idea what kind of buffet breakfast the marriott has.

Any other advice on where to stay where we could possibly get a buffet breakfast.
So Sandy is one of the best places for us to stay?

thanks
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Sandy is a good place to stay if you want to go cheap. The Residence Inn in Sandy is nice because you have a small kitchen/living room area and the hotel is fairly new. As I remember the breakfast isn't so much a buffet, as just a selection of continental breakfast choices. Other chains that offer a free breakfast are Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn and Hampton Inn, all have hotels in Sandy.

Have you considered bidding on a hotel with Priceline. The Park City Marriott is the hotel usually awarded in Park City. Winning bids in November for the Park City Marriott were $35. While December may be more, it would definitely be worth trying, since I think men your age would enjoy staying in Park City more than in the suburbs (Sandy).
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Usacubs, I loved skiing in Utah. Park City is a nice little town to stroll through after skiing all day. There is a Brewery restaurant, that has a great "ski town" feel. Alta is a great place to ski, and it isn't too expensive. They do have weird liquor laws out there, I can't remember the specifics! I got online and found HUNDREDS of condos near or around that area that were all built recently for the Olympics that were held there. You might get a good deal.
Have fun!