Search

Park, Children Museum for 18 mo toddler

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park, Children Museum for 18 mo toddler

Hi,

We'll be in Chicago next week, staying in Glenview. Need recommendation of community parks ( w/ play equipment would be great) nearby Wyndham Glenview, or Old Orchard, or in Evanston or anything would be good for an 18 month old to hang out while away fr. home & his normal activity.

What is your opinion on the Children Museum, does it worth it for us to check it out?

TIA,

K.

PS: We'll be visiting the Botanical Garden & Lincoln Zoo.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:15 AM
rbw

Kayla,
I stayed at the Wyndham Glenview Suites with my son for a week while he attended a sports camp in August. If you will be there after October 20, the Kohls Childrens Museum http://www.kohlchildrensmuseum.org will be opening in their new location at the Glens just a few miles from the hotel. Also, Glenview is full of beautifully maintained parks including one just around the corner from the Wyndham. My son skeateboards and they even had a decent skatepark (his words not mine). http://www.glenviewparkdist.org/
While you are at the hotel, Abt Appliance Store next door is an experience not to be missed. They have a perfect spot with mini-children's musuem like exhibit--bubbles, etc.. And you will find the latest in applicances and technology. I went to Old Orchard. a gorgeous outside mall, one day but it is a typical mall with decent restaurants and loads of shopping. I'm not sure if you will have access to a car. If the weather is nice try a few of the quaint north shore towns: Highland Park, Winnetka, Wilmette. Chicago has a decent parenting magazine if you can pick one up when you first arrive you will find plenty of other activities. When you have time give us a trip report. I'm anxious to hear about the new Kohls. Have a fun trip.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

rbw,

Thank you for your suggesstions. Unfortunately, we won't be staying until Oct to visit the Kohl museum. Abt appliance store sounds good to check out since we may have some rainy day(s) while being there. Not sure if we have time to revisit Highland Park or Winnetka but may try to check out the Festival next weekend in Wilmette if time permitted.

K.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 09:01 AM

The Grove is practically across the street from where you are staying. It is an historic farm and museum with walking paths - very interesting for children of all ages.

Old Orchard shopping center has a couple of kids' areas - a play area by the mall entrance from Bloomingdale's, and a dragon-shaped climbing area near the south exit of Marshall Field's and the food court. The dragon is probably better for an older child; I'd stick with the Bloomingdale play yard.

Too bad you will miss Kohl's new museum! But a day at the Botanic Garden and one at Lincoln Park Zoo sound perfect. Look up the milking times at the Farm-in-the-Zoo; my kids loved that. Weekdays are much less crowded at the zoo, of course, but the Botanic Garden is never really crowded except on summer Sundays. If it rains, try the Children's Museum at Navy Pier or the Field Museum.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your tips! While waiting for my husband in Skokie, we plan to hang out @ Old Orchard for couple hrs. Bloomingdale & the Grove sound good. Any suggestion in Northbrook Court & Gurnee shopping center for an 18 mo toddler? We plan to go there, especially on the rainy day(s).

We are oging to skip the Field & Children museums this time, perhaps next year when he is 2 yrs old.

We traveled to Chicago a few times before but that was w/o a baby/kid. gt;) Now our itinerary has to include this little guy's activities.

K.