Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Palms Springs-is it worth a summer visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband says that Palm Springs is beautiful and worth a trip. The trouble is that we're visiting in the summer and as I understand it PS is a desert! We're traveling w/ three kids (ages 9,9, 11) what do u think? Is it worth a one day side tour? What's there to see anyway? TIA!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM

I would say no. We stopped there for one night and part of a day in June and the heat was so oppressive that I couldn't appreciate anything else.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Knowing the rest of your intinerary and how much time you have would help.

Generally, NO, I would not recommend Palm Springs in the summer. Palm Springs is mostly for golfers IMO. In the winter it's great, but in the summer they start before dawn so they can finish before it's too hot. At night it only cools down to the high 70's/80's.

Joshua Tree is worth seeing, but again, not in the summer.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Palm Springs IS beautiful but summer is not the best time to visit. I was there in June a few years back and it was 112 degrees during the day. The only thing you could do is spend your days in the pool. I don't imagine young children would do well in that heat.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM

It is going to be 110 degrees there today. How does that sound?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Just stayed 3 nights in Palm Springs - and, yes, it was very HOT! But it was not as hot as Vegas or Lake Havasu City which we had visited before PS + we had a rental house in PS with our own pool, so we found it quite comfortable , whereas Vegas had been absolutely dreadful. I'm not sure about with young children, but if you can get a rental house (cheaper in the summer), I would consider it.

(Now freezing cold in San Diego!!)
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Where else are you visiting and how many days etc. That would help answer the question. We live in San Diego and always go in the summer and have since my kids were 4 and 6. It is hot, but it's a "DRY HEAT", just kidding, that's a common saying in the Palm Springs area. We swim and swim and watch the movies in the pools at night...they call them "Dive-In's". My kids love it...but it is too hot to really DO anything or SEE anything. But if you need a couple of down days, it's a perfect fit!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
dmlove

but it's a "DRY HEAT", just kidding

Honestly, it really does make a difference. If it's "dry heat" like in Palm Springs, and you stay out of the direct sun, any temp. is bearable (I've been there in up to 113 degrees, although we typically try for 85-90!)

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM

A "dry heat" is just like opening the oven and walking in. I live in Las Vegas and we're dying already - VERY hot lately (about 109 - 111) and have had lots of "blow dryer" days - when it's really hot and the wind is going = just like a giant blow dryer - UGH. My sister lives in Desert Hot Springs, adjacent to Palm Springs and it's been well over our temps for the last couple of weeks - about 116 most of the time. IMO it's way too hot - go to the beach and cool off!