Advice for a family of 4 vacation in Palm Springs, CA this summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have a rental car. 2 kids under the age of 10. Water parks, family type activities, etc, are appreciated.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My question - is there a reason you are vacationing in Palm Springs - and w/ 2 small kids - in the summer?? You really will not be able to spend much if any time outside during the day. You may think you can cope w/ hot but we are talking HOT. Me personally - I would not be taking little kids to the desert in summer . . . .
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I would spend a lot of time at the hotel pool.
In addition, you could take them to Joshua Tree National Park. Another idea would be to take them to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. They will love the ride up. At the top, it is about 30 degrees cooler so you could do a short hike with them. The views are amazing!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM
LT

I think Janis is right. The average temp. for PSP in June is 104. For July, it's 108. Although it's a "dry heat," heat is still heat!

Also, I think that PSP is really more of an adult resort destination. Unless you're coming out for business & are bringing your family along, I'd suggest you try San Diego or Anaheim. They wouldn't be as hot as PSP would be, and there's far more for there for kids.

That being said, if you're adamant about PSP, there is a Knotts water park located near the airport. I'd also second Kerry's suggestion of the tram, but standing out in the middle of the desert in 100+ degree heat looking at a bunch of Joshua trees may not be the most pleasant experience.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:47 AM
ltt

i am pretty tolerant of heat but it is seriously hot in palm springs in the summer. visiting joshua tree is great but, in the summer, i'd want to be there by 7:00 a.m. (don't even know if the park gates are open there). by 9:30 a.m. all physical activity gets tough. beautiful scenary so i enjoy just floating in the pool and relaxing but you need to make sure there is some shade or you'll fry. going up the tram is a good idea.
san diego is only about 2 1/4 hours away. you could always go to the beach for a day if you don't mind a 5 hour drive, there and back.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Ag3046

I wouldn't go to Palm Springs in the summer, period. Too hot to have any fun.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I'll add to the pile-on.

It's insanity to plan a family vacation to Palm Springs in summer. Way too hot. And a lot of stores shutter as the owners escape to cooler climes.

Yeah, it's cheaper in summer. For a good reason. I've been there in summer to visit a friend who's retired there-- and we spend the entire visit in her living room, in the nice cool A/C, until late in the evening when it might dip below 100F....
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM

If you are going to go to PS in the summer (which we do as a family but with the understanding that it is going to be hot) I would stay at the La Quinta resort. It is geared to kids, they have like 35 pools (which my kids all try to swim in) and have lots of kid activities (dive-in movies, arcade, contests etc.) They also rent bikes which I would do very early in the morning. During the day you just stay in the pool to deal with the heat. Although there is the water park, it tends to get very crowded. Some hotels have mini water parks with slides etc such as the marriot.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM

I think its a very risky idea to expose children under the age of 10 to the intense heat of summer in Palm Springs. Children dehydrate so very quickly, pool or no pool. No one will enjoy the heat of the day, and having to plan all activities for early morning or late afternoon is a real waste of a vacation. I too vote for the San Diego area........
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM

June isn't that bad. I know folks that like the Westin Mission Hills Resort for kids. I would avoid after mid July unless you know what you are getting into. itsv gives a good picture of the situation.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the Soak City water park in Palm Springs, permanently or temporarily closed?