Reload this Page >

Palmer House or Le Meridien - Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Paul

Coming to Chicago next April. What are the Palmer House Hilton and Le Meridien Hotels like? Can get a B&B rate for Palmer House for $159/night.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Howard

I can't give an opinion on Le Meridien, but $159 is a good price for the Palmer House, an excellent hotel.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:41 AM
xxx

Palmer House Hilton is a once grand old hotel that's seen it's better days (1940's probably). It's used primarily by the many conventions and major meetings that come to town. Rooms are generally small and the location is on Michigan Ave but south of the shopping/entertainment/dining area.

Try to find another hotel on or near Michigan Ave - north of the river.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Laurie

I have stayed at both recently. It really depends on what you like because they are very different and are pretty far apart. I like the location better for Le Meridien. It is on North Michigan avenue in the Nordstroms building - surrounding by great shopping and restaurants. It is only a little over a year old. The rooms are very plush. The Palmer House is on south State Street. If you plan to shop over there and go to the theatre, that location may be better for you. It is obviously a much older hotel but the rooms are decent. The lobby is very nice. Overall, I would choose Le Meridien. You can get great rates on quikbook.com.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Jay

LM is much nicer, and NEW.
The PH is old and worn and the location is poor.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:22 AM
xxx

Howard usually has good insite, but have to disagree with him on this one. What makes the Palmer House an excellent hotel? For $159/night, Paul is not getting a suite . . . more likely one of the rooms that are right next to the elevated train tracks. Sweet dreams.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Dan

I would choose Le Meridien, simply based on location. If you know what you are doing, check out Priceline for Mag. Mile area, you should be able to get a centrally located property for $100 or under. You can do the Mag Mile stuff and easily walk to the theater district. I would not walk from theaters back to the Palmer House (you should cab) and if you want after-theater dinner or dessert, you won't find too much open near the PH at that hour. Chicago is a great city - have fun!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:58 AM
jill

Got the P H Hilton for $58 on hotwire.com, plus $25 for parking.

Wouldn't have wanted to pay much more, but it was certainly clean and adequate.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Laurie

Dan, you would walk from the theaters to Le Meridien but not the Palmer House? which theater are you talking about? The Shubert is right down the street and you basically have to pass the Palmer House from the Auditorium. Not to mention the other theaters that are very close.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Dan

Laurie, relax. What I was referring to was the fact that it can be fairly desolate in the loop late at night, it might make some people feel a little uneasy. Also, note that I stated if you wanted after theater dinner or dessert that your choices would be rather limited in the PH location (of course you can always get food at the hotel). Have a geat trip Paul, and be sure to post a trip report when you get back!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:02 PM
plummie

Stayed at LeMeridien a couple of weeks ago. Got a $150 rate through hotels.com and thought the room was beautifully decorated. Soaking tub with granite surround, lots of other granite in bathroom, separate shower, very comfortable room. Asked for a Michigan Ave side, none available. Room looked over the office building wall next door. Laurie is right, however. Depends on where you need/want to be in loop.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Paul

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Want a hotel that is in the thick of the action - so I get the feeling that Le Meridien is a good choice - I hope so!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:45 AM
mark

Stayed at Palmer House for 7 nights from Aug 27, 2002 for $70 a night. Due to the long stay we possibly paid a bit more than the usual Priceline price.
Welcomed warmly at reception by Jessica. Without asking for anything special, we got room 120 on 21st floor, an Hhonors floor (whatever that means) and the highest apart from the 2 executive floors above. Delighted with big room, reasonable view, 2 queens, 2 armchairs, TV with internet facilities (partially free), iron and ironing board and 2 bathrooms with 26 towels between us!
Room on the cool side even with a/c off, possibly due to chilly corridors. Location fine for our needs as tourists; we walked almost everywhere. Staff formal but courteous. Hotel has wonderful interior. Plenty of conferences going on during our stay. Didn't use any of the facilities at the hotel or eat there but can recommend Ada's Deli a block away on S. Wabash.
In short: more than satisfied, particularly for this price.

Paul, you could also take a look at www.biddingfortravel.com, and then Ill/Ind/Ohio/Mich/Wis/Minn Hotels, where you'll see reviews of plenty of hotels that were booked via Priceline.com.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:04 AM
DifferentDan

For me, it's Le Meridien hands down. Palmer House has a beautiful lobby, but rooms have seen better days. As for walking to the theatre, if this is a concern you better get to a gym. Unless I was 80, I'd hate to say I couldn't walk from Le Meridien to the theatres or museum. Or just grab a cab for $3 or so.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Suzy

Different Dan, it sounds like safety is the issue here not that it is too far of a walk.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Richie

If you want to shop Le Meridien is much better than Palmer House. Part of the Palmer house faces the L tracks so it could be noisy depending on where your room is. Le Meridien is in a better part of town and a newer hotel. You should try 877chicago.com, a travel site the city set up.