Search

Chicago Hiltons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Hiltons

We're planning a weekend in Chicago. Has anyone stayed at any of these three places? Hilton Chicago on Michigan Avenue, Hilton Garden Inn on Grand Avenue, Palmer House Hilton - East Monroe If you have, please let me know how they are. We're looking at these three cause we want to use our Hilton points. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Have you done a tripadvisor search, or a search here? You may find plenty of info that way to help you with your choice.

I have stayed at the Palmer House twice in the last few years. I was perfectly happy with it, but I wasn't looking for luxury or anything. It has a beautiful lobby, but, of course, that's not why you stay at a hotel. Check in was easy and personnel that we dealt with were friendly. I stayed once in a room with two double beds and it was reasonably large, with a decent bathroom. A friend in a room with a king bed found the room to be a bit small, but not unmanageable.

My only complaint about this hotel is that the walls tend to be thin. It was not a major problem, but we did wake up one night to a very loud, very intense couple having some fun in the room next door.

This hotel is in a great location for me - right in the middle of the Loop shopping area, and close to Millenium Park, Grant Park and the Art Institute. It's a bit of a walk if you're interested in North Michigan Ave. shopping, but you can catch a red-line el right outside the door on State Street, so it's still very convenient. You're also only a couple blocks from stops for the loop trains if you want to venture into other Chicago neighborhoods.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Depending on your level of HH points, you may qualify for an upgrade at Palmer House or Chicago Hilton to executive/concierge levels. I know the concierge lounge at Chicago Hilton is nice, and I have heard the one at Palmer House is also. The Chicago Hilton has comp transportation, too.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM

You might also check out The Drake, which is a Hilton property on the magnificent mile with nice lake views from the right rooms. The Drake is more convenient to Watertower Place and much of Chicago's more upscale shopping options, if this matters to you.

I've also stayed at the Palmer House Hilton, which is nice. The lobby is gorgeous. Rooms range from very small to quite spacious. Try to avoid any room ending in the numbers 100-113 and 200-213, as these are the small ones. If you have status with Hilton (i.e. gold or diamond) this shouldn't be a problem. I understand that some golds/diamonds have had success pre-requesting the pool table room--a suite with its own pool table (you'll probably have better luck with this if you can cite a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday). As others have said, the Palmer House has a nice downtown location, in close proximity to places like Marshall Fields and other stores on the Loop.

Of the two, the Drake is a bit more upscale. I'd say the Palmer House comes off as more of a business hotel. Haven't stayed yet at the other two you mention.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I've stayed at both the Hilton Chicago and Palmer House Hilton many times and would recommend both. And, as a previous poster noted, if you can get an upgrade to to the Towers at either, it's an even better experience.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM

We are HiltonHonors members and nearly always stay at the Palmer House. The location for sightseeing, walking, restaurants and shopping can't be beat. We have had very good rooms the past several trips. Some reviewers complain about small or otherwise unsatisfactory rooms but my guess is they get them cheaply on budget sites instead of directly from the hotel.
The Chicago Hilton also is a nice hotel, facing Grant Park and handy for museums but it does not seem to be as close to restaurants and shopping or as lively an area at night.
The Drake is at the far end of Mich Ave magnificent mile and is not as convenient for us unless you just want to shop and dine.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM

What train stop is nearest to Palmer House?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:35 PM

I spent a week at the Hilton Garden Inn a couple of years ago and was not pleased with the experience. Reasons:
1. You could smell the grilled meat and barbecue sauce from the ground floor Weber Grill restaurant all the way up on the higher floors...I could even smell it in my room one night. If I were a vegetarian, it would be unbearable. Even so, it was irritating, not the last thing I wanted to smell before I went to bed.
2. Speaking of beds, I don't know why, but the sheets on my bed were simply too small. They came up in a bunch every night. It felt like they had put queen size sheets on a king sized bed.
3. Nickel and diming. I felt I was being overcharged on some items, particularly phone calls. A direct dial call to Europe (where I live) placed in the middle of the night was charged at the rate of an operator-assisted call in the middle of the day, with a minimum charge of several minutes. In other words, a 1 minute call at 2 am cost me over $15 or thereabouts. Yes, the charges were noted on the phone info card, but in VERY tiny print, a typeface smaller than the typeface for all other calling info. I found that sleazy.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM

wsox- there is a CTA Red Line subway stop at Monroe and State Street, just a half-block from the Palmer House. Here's a map:
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2004D.html