which hotel: swisshotel, 71, hilton chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hope to be near the metra, visit the Art Institute and the Science Museum; Univ. of CHicago, architecture boat tour.
Quietness of room and safety of area are key
Which would you select?
Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:49 AM

All are "safe" areas. Swissotel and 71 are a couple of blocks apart on Wacker Drive, a location that, to my mind, is more convenient for most of what you want to do than the Hilton which is at the far south end of the Loop on Michigan Avenue. Swissotel is about 15 years old; 71 has been around a long time, but was redone not too long ago, I believe. The Hilton is a huge old grande dame, another point against it. Just not wild about huge hotels (not that the other two choices are 'small').
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Can't comment on the other two, but have stayed at the Swissotel and liked it. Good location, most rooms have a nice view, the staff was helpful and courteous, and they have a nice workout area with a view of the city.

If you can, try to get a room on one of the executive levels. That gives you access to free breakfast and cocktails on the top-floor lounge.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM

71 is a funky boutique hotel (Queer Eye meets a hotel) which I like a lot, esp. now that the restaurant/bar is open again. However, House of Blues is closeby and when I had several colleagues book there, they complained of noise by the younger concert goers in the hallways. One colleague called the front desk and they took care of it right away but the price of 71 on expedia combined with HOB across the way might make it a more of a noise risk. The Hilton is a much more traditional hotel if you like that.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:23 AM

I've stayed at the Swissotel a couple of times recently on business (my company's Chicago office is in the bulding next door) and found it to be excellent in each case. Never felt at all unsafe in that area. My room the first time was on the front of the hotel, on the corner facing the bridge, on a lower floor (sixth or seventh) and I don't recall noise being an issue at all, though I'm not particularly sensitive to it (I can and do sleep through just about anything).

I'd definitely stay there again, but then we do have a negotiated corporate rate with them that's substantially lower than what I typically see there from other sources.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:12 AM
JJ5

Just in case you want to save a few bucks, if you bid Priceline 4 star and river location you will get Swissotel or Hyatt (next to it) right on the River about 90% of the time.

I have gotten Swissotel for as little as $65 in winter and $95 in summer. Almost any of the Michigan Ave/river/bridge location hotels are terrific for attending venues in any direction. Swissotel is off of Michigan Ave. a couple of long blocks, you should know that. If you don't like the extra walk, it may make a difference in choosing it direct. Do know that it's location also gives it the best view, IMHO. The primary restaurant in the Swissotel is the Palm and it is steak/lobster specialty and pricey.

Any Loop, Michigan Ave, River location is IMHO, safe. Of course, you are in a big city and as such, you should be looking at where you are walking and not UP all the time. If you are there on a week day, you will note that the movement of pedestrian traffic is very swift. Follow the walker signs at the traffic lights and do not jay walk.

If you stay at the Swissotel there is an underground entrance to Hyatt and a lot of shops and restaurants that leads over to Mich. Ave. If it is very hot, you may want to walk that way.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM

About bidding on priceline - I also think it's the best option for hotels in Chicago and use it whenever I'm there for a weekend visit. But, they've recently changed their zones. There are only 2 "downtown" zones now - Michigan Ave./River North and Loop/Millennium Park. The Swissotel and the Hyatt are both in the Loop zone now, which also includes the Burnham, Fairmont, Hard Rock, Hilton Chicago, Monaco, Palmer House, Rennaissance and W City Center as potential 4* hotels. I've seen the Palmer House and Hard Rock come up a few times recently at www.biddingfortravel.com, so I'm not sure the Hyatt and Swissotel are as much a sure thing as they used to be.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM

The Swisshotel and Hotel 71 are better located for the Architecture cruise and the train to Hyde Park, which leaves from Michigan Avenue and Randolph Street. ALso, there is a Hyde Park Express bus (route number 2) from Michigan and Wacker Drive.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 02:54 PM

I also agree with the Swisshotel. The location is convenient for what you want to do and the area is fine. If you decide to go to Water Tower & area shopping, you will be closer than at the Hilton.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:04 PM
JJ5

Thanks, jlm mi- I didn't know that about the Priceline change. I actually like that as it includes more chances for me to get something different. I would love to stay Palmer House, as I haven't for a very, very long time.

It makes more sense too. Renaissance or W are GREAT too. Next fall I will do a September overnighter and bring my granddaughter to a show.