Reload this Page >

Maui top 5 attractions

Search

Maui top 5 attractions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Cathy

Maui top 5 attractions

We are a couple in our late 30's! First Vaction away from our Kids in 16 years. What should we not miss!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:53 PM
lou

Drive the whole island and in between relax at the pool and your favorite new found beach........we love makena and breakfast at Charlies in Paia on the road to Hana

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:28 PM
dejahma

Roy's for chocolate soufle (SP?). The beach, island music, a luau if you've never been. It's kind of hokey but fun one time. Definately go snorkeling, if you do Molokini go in the morning. Most afternoon tours end up by mile 14 because of high winds. You can snorkle there from the beach and pay nothing. If you want quiet go to Wailai but if you want restuarants and night life try the west side, Kaanapali, Lahaina. When are you going? Some of the best snorkle spots are not accessable in the winter.

I agree with Lou drive the island. Take your time on the Hana drive and possibly stay the night there. Get Maui revealed. It is the best island guide book. Way better than frommers. Hang at the beach. I like airport beach the best, but it will probably go way downhill when the westin timeshare is finished.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:31 PM
dejahma

I forgot my fave. Early dinner during happy hour at the Barefoot bar at Whalers. Tunes, the sunset and "digme" beach bods showering off the sand and salt. Eye candy for both sexes.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 07:24 PM
p.

Hello Cathy,
Not knowing where you're staying or likes/dislikes I'd say just don't miss the overall atmosphere. Don't rush around so much that you don't get to really relax & enjoy the slower pace. Do go upcountry, a different world.
My wife & I made plans for this n'that last trip and ended up doing few of them, we decided to spend beach time instead.
Have a wonderful trip.
p.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Cathy

Thanks for the input. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Resort

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Pat

1. Ride the bikes down the volcano. Not the sunrise trip (too cold and a long wait at the top). Find a trip that starts about 10 am. 2. Gape at the banyan tree in Lahina. 3. Snorkle.
4. Snorkle. 5. Snorkle.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Cindy

Definitely see the sunrise at Haleakala, but wear warm clothes or bring a blanket from the hotel. We went on the pony express tour. It is a guided horseback tour down into the dormant volcano. You ride two hours into the volcano. You stop and eat a packed lunch and then head back up the volcano to where you started. The inside of the volcano looks like a lunar type surface. Your backside will hurt if you are not used to horseback riding, but it was one of the most memorable things that I've done on vacation.
Also if you like seeing shows, don't miss Warren and Annabelle's. It is a magic show like you've never seen before. This guy is amazing.
I hope you have fun in Maui!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Chelley

We went to Maui last summer, and our favorite spot was the "Blue Pool" in Hana. You will have to ask around for directions, as it is WAY off the beaten path, and driving/walking to it can be treacherous, but it is worth every minute. Make sure you get there early, as it is becoming more well known now, but you will never experience anything else like it----a fresh water waterfall mere yards from the Pacific, cascading into a swimmable (though chilly!) pool---it was absolutely breathtaking, and an experience we will never forget. On the way out from the pool, stop at the botanical gardens; a nice way to spend an hour. Have fun!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:36 PM
aimi

Second the motion to see Warren and Annabelle show. Great!!!!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Cathy

Thanks for all the information. What is the best Luau?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:53 AM
sss

We went to Old Lahaina Luau about a week ago. It was great, & I would probably go again. I think that it is usually regarded as the best one, although I didnt go to any others. It is very professional, the grounds are beautiful, and the food and drinks are fine. I wish that we had gone earlier instead of the last night of our trip. Make arrangement about 2 weeks early for the best seats (seated "Hawaiian" style in the front). I got my reservations 2 days in advance, but had to get on a waiting list and was in the back (which was still fine). I got my reservations by calling back within 2 hours after going on the waiting list. It is not based on when you get on the list, but on how convenient you nake it for them to give you the seats - i.e. calling back.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:14 PM
Nova

What is "Hawaiian" stye seating ?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:04 PM
L

We also went to the Lahaina Luau and enjoyed front row seating with the Hawaiin style seating which means you'll be sitting on cushions on the ground.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:49 AM
Nova

For $75 you get to sit on a cushion on the ground ? Sounds just great.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:35 AM
Mike

Road to Hana...leave early and do the whole thing including the hike through the bamboo forest to the waterfall.

Cheeseburgers in Paradise at sunset in Lahina.

Mt. Haleakala (sp?). We got there at 4:00 a.m. due to bad advice and wondered if we were in the right spot b/c we were alone. Kind of upset at first, then we started to notice the shooting stars. We must have seen close to 30 of them b/c it was so dark out and so high up. Respect the comments on warm clothes. I'd try to take along some coffee or hot chocolate too...it is very cold up there before the sun comes up.

Snorkel - try to go w/ one of the not for profits or one that donates money to conservation efforts.

Para sailing.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:32 AM
Nova

The top attraction in Maui is not a bicycle ride down Halaekala and it definitely is not a magic show (Warren and Annabelles) or a luau (a completely artificial experience). The top attraction is Maui ITSELF - the beauty, the near perfect climate, the beaches, the mountains. Only first time visitors tear around doing all kinds of activities. Those who have been there a number of times skip all that stuff and just enjoy being in Maui. A guideline to follow is that if you are paying for to do a lot of things you are missing the best aspects of Maui which are free.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:06 AM
joe

My favorite part of Maui is under the water.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:08 AM
Dr. Head

If you can afford it (~$150/pp), definately do the helicopter tour of the island. You'll see things that you would never be able to see from the ground. Many hidden waterfalls, etc.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:46 PM
Gary

Hana is always a top site. But be prepared for a long drive. The 52 miles is full of curves and takes hours. Can also cause car sickness for the some. The lady in front of My wife and I tossed her cookies half way through the trip. Make sure you see linburgs grave site when you get there and also the Seven Sacred Pools. nothing really sacred was an invention to get more tourist traffic. But the Pools themselves are fun.

Lahiana is always a great spot for Nightlife, the Hard Rock is located there. SHopping is good too.

many people like to view the sunrise at Hale-Akala. Make sure you take a jacket because it gets cold, even in the summer months. Not as cold as the big Island but cold never the less. Most folks don't relize that it snows in Hawaii. 6 Years in Hawaii in the Army. I know about the snow on the Big island.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -