Palm Springs-too hot in summer?

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 07:19 PM
miriam

Palm Springs-too hot in summer?

Hi,
in a lot of books about California it is written that people shouldnīt plan trips in the desert in July or August.I wonder if itīs really that dangerous, because Iīm planning day trips to Palm Springs and other places while staying in L.A. and San Diego.I thought itīs o.k. if you care for enough water and keep on main streets.Please help me ...
Thanks

Miriam

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 05:09 AM
gbarber

As long as your car is in good running order, you stay on major roads, and carry water, you should be OK to travel to the desert. The major roads from LA to Palm Springs are heavily traveled if you need assistance. The problem is that the temperature is typically in the low 100s in the summer, which is too uncomfortable to be outside for too long. However, we went to Palm Springs in the summer a few years ago. For a couple it is fine, if you don't mind staying in your room most of the time and going out to restaurants.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 06:33 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego and frequently visit Palm Springs. However, I would never consider visiting there during July, August, or September. It is not a matter of safety. I lived in Phoenix for years. It is simply becasue 115+ temperatures are pretty uncomfortable. Why subject yourself to such heat. Do NOT believe the myth about dry heat. That may apply to 100-105 but 115 is hot period.

If you do travel to Palm Springs than take the tram up the San Jacinto mountain. Great experience and it will be cool at the top.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 09:30 AM
Dick

My wife and I have been in Palm Springs during the summer and had no real problem( We found the heat and humidity in the Washington, DC area, where we live...to be much more uncomfortable.

At 106 degrees we were able to eat outdoors...because most places have outdoor misting systems. The pool at our small hotel had a large misting system that was delightful. The inside of your car, however can get extremely hot.

The advice to take the tram to the top of the mountain was excellent. It was about 30 degress cooler up there...a fabulous place to hike.

In the summer hotel rates are cheaper and it is not crowded at all. At least one night during the week the city holds an outdoor street market.

In addition...the evenings are really very comfortable because the wind picks up significantly (exlains all those windmills)after dark.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 10:15 AM
Paul Rabe

Will you be "safe" in Palm Springs in that you will get help quickly in case your car overheats? Yes. Will you find places that are bearable even when the temperature is over 40 C? Yes. Will you find anything in Palm Springs in the summer that will be better than what you can experience elsewhere at 100 other places in Southern California? NO! The only reason Palm Springs has become a resort community is due to its being sunny and pleasant IN THE WINTER; unlike the cold, damp, and dreary Southern California coast. There's absolutely no reason to go to Palm Springs in the summer; whatever you expect to do there (even hike in the mountains), just find another place to do it and do it there. It'll be just as good in that other place and you WON'T have 40 C weather!

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 06:55 PM
Mary

As you can see, the issue is not whether you will be safe driving. If you are visitng LA and the such I'm assuming you are renting a car, that would be a newer model with air and reliable. The road is heavily traveled and in recent years the stretch from L.A. to P.S. has become very built up. The weather factor cetainly depends on where you are from. I live in Phoenix and I don't see people dropping dead on the side of the road from the heat. I love it here and personally would not live where it is humid. Just use common sense (i.e., sunscreen and drink lots of water.) The beauty of P.S. in the summer is it is less crowded and the rates are much lower. The tram ride will definately provide some relief from the heat. Enjoy!

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 05:59 AM
Dick

The worst thing about the heat....was how hot the car seat buckle would get during the day.

MAybe the heat is the reason that there are so many cllothing optional hotels and B&B's in Palm Springs.

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 07:08 PM
Dayle

Miriam, I have to second the opinion of Paul above. I've lived in southern CA for most of my life. There is absolutely NO reason to go to PS in the summer and I am a person that loves the dry heat. 25 years ago PS was small and unique, but today it's like everywhere else, except with more golf courses per capita! If you do like to golf, you have to get a 6am tee time -- no joke. Going up the tram is great, but you better be IN LINE by 8:30 am or forget it. You'll be waiting hours. You can use your days in southern CA doing things you'll enjoy a lot more -- trust me.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 04:12 PM
Lisa

Miriam,

I visited Palm Springs several years ago in mid-April. The temps were above 100 degrees everyday. I agree with the person who said don't believe what they say about dry heat. Yes, it was dry and therefore felt different than being in Atlanta in July. But the fact is, it was still NOT comfortable to be outside. I cannot imagine being in Palm Springs in July and August.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 08:43 PM
D.B.

Miriam -- you say you are planning day trips, and these people are acting as if you want to spend your entire summer there. You can drive out to P.S. in the morning, and return that evening or stay overnight if you wish (if during the week, do everything to avoid the commute hours). The freeways are wide and well travelled, with plenty of gas stations, places to check your road map, and cops. Stop for dinosaurs, and buy a cool date shake for me.

Old May 24th, 1999, 09:19 AM
michele

Another vote for Paul's suggestion. There is no reason to go to P.S. in the summer...it is too hot! You can do very little during the day when it is in the mid-100s. Oddly enough. P.S. is becoming more and more popular during the summer with tourists from Northern Europe and more and more hotels do not lower their rates. I would skip it. There is plenty of natural beauty in So Cal that you can view comfortably.

Old May 24th, 1999, 05:11 PM

One more vote for avoiding the shoe-melting heat of Palm Springs. For those who suggested taking a trip on the tram to cool down...that won't work this summer. The tram is closed (or is about to) for complete refurbishment. The old cars will be replaced with larger cars that rotate as they go up and down the mountain.

Old May 26th, 1999, 12:16 AM
SDSam

When it is all said and done. the simple truth is that Palm Springs in the summer is just NOT worth it.

I have lived in Phoenix, Mexico, Florida, etc. so I know what hot is. Palm Springs is just plain hot and very uncomfotable. There is just not anything of value in Palm Springs that warrants spending your time in a blast furnace.

Stick to the coastal California areas and visit Palm Springs when the weather is more agreeable.