Reload this Page >

Williamsburg area with 6 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 1999, 03:20 PM
Susan

We are traveling to the Williamsburg area with our 6 year old son. We live near Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Michigan, and don't want "more of the same". Is Busch Gardens good for a kid who may not do the roller coasters? Has anyone been to Water Country? We love Disney's water parks; is it similar? Is it clean? Would you recommend Jamestown Settlement over Colonial Williamsburg? Does anyone know if/when tourists can see the aircraft carriers in Norfolk? We heard there may be tours available on weekends. Are there any "don't miss" spots in the Williamsburg/Norfolk area? We have only 4-5 days there. Thanks for your reply!

Old May 23rd, 1999, 04:56 PM
Diane

Busch Gardens is absolutely lovely. There is plenty non-roller coaster to do. The Water Park is a blast. You know your 6 year old the best, but Colonial Williamsburg is pretty special -- it is populated with hmm, storytellers, I guess you'd call them, in costume and in specific character, they tell you everything about their "lives and businesses." (Blacksmith, saddle maker, hat maker, newspaper publisher, etc.) My son enjoyed it at age 6 (and he usually only liked things that involved running and balls!)

Old May 24th, 1999, 06:24 AM
stephanie

We too wanted to see the aircraft carriers in Norfolk and drove there to see how close we could get. We drove right in & parked in a parking lot right on the pier and stood practically underneath part of one of the carriers - wow! Their size in indescribable! Don't know about tours - it seems if I remember correctly that upon asking about that we were told that you had to be family (maybe friend too) of an officer to get a tour. I hope I'm corrected if wrong.

Old May 24th, 1999, 04:09 PM
Don

I live in the area and can say that both Busch Gardens and Water Country are winners for all ages. Dowtown Norfolk is home of Nauticus, The National Maritime Center with interactives, hands-on, IMAX, etc. In Newport News are several smaller museums you may enjoy, such as the Mariners Museum and the Virginia Living Museum. The latter hosts many elementary age school groups. Enjoy.

Old May 26th, 1999, 08:05 AM
emily

You can spend 5 days at Williamsburg while jamestown is easily appreciated in about 3 hrs. My daughter loved it at age 6; read your son the American girls book that features a girl growing up in revolutionary times . . . it concludes with pictures of artifacts of the tiem & takes place in Wmsburg. jamestown is only about 25 minutes away. Its fun & covers a much earlier period in history. It is an interesting contrast -- very primitve & unsuccessfully settlement v. Wmsburg. Have fun! & do make sure you sign up well in advance for the extra music and cultural programs. Wmsburg will help you identify age-appropriate programs. There is also an excellent film about Thos Jefferson--The Patriot--I think--that is a good intro. You can see it at Wmsburg or in many local hotels (cable).