Paleys vs. Higgins, Portland, OR

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paleys vs. Higgins, Portland, OR

I'm traveling up to Portland for a long weekend next month for my friend's birthday. I'd like to take her out for her birthday dinner and am trying to decide between Higgins and Paleys. I've been to Higgins and really enjoyed it, but not to Paleys. If any of you have tried both, could you give me your thoughts of which you liked better, and why. Thanks much.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I've been to each of these several times and really like both of them. My husband prefers Higgins based on one off night at Paleys. I was not there that meal, but my girlfiend and daughter - who had been there several other times both agreed it was definitely an "off" night.

I prefer Paleys, as it is more intimate & romantic. Tables are a bit closer. It is in an old house, so you can sit in one of the rooms or on the front porch. Both are into PNW organic sustainable foods. If they have the rose martini at Paleys, get one.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM

It's true - it's tough to go wrong at either place. It kind of depends on whether the friend is a "special friend" where you may want a romantic atmosphere. If so, Paleys it is. But Paleys doesn't HAVE to be a romantic meal. Plus, there's the added advantage to your not having eaten there before...
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Paleys.
I like the atmosphere better and we like the menu more
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:30 AM

We have yet to eat at Paleys; however, on our one visit to Higgins we were given a tiny table next to the kitchen door. One noisy, hectic dinner there was enough for us.