Pacific Beach Restaurants/Activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize that time doesn't permit me to surf the posts on this subject. We are checking in to the Ocean Park Inn, Pacific Beach (San Diego)this Sunday & would like suggestions on restaurants & entertainment. We are two middle-aged couples who would like to just park our cars & walk or take trams/shuttles the whole time, if possible. Anyone know if we can get to Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, etc. on public transportation? Also, how far can you walk the beach in either direction? Thank you!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I can't help with any of your specific questions, but here's what I know

There is a tourist sightseeing tram that goes to all the places you mention (Gaslamp, Seaport etc.) including Balboa Park where the zoo and all the museums are located. I don't know where the nearest stop would be to your hotel. It stops at Horton Plaza too. Your hotel gets good reviews on tripadvisor and many of the reviewers mention eating places within walking distance.

One of my favorite meals in the area has been at Thee Bungalow in Ocean Beach. I think it's not far from your hotel.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Well, I guess I'll tackle this one...

1) For food in Pacific Beach I would highly recommend The Fishery, World Famous and Nick's at the Beach. They all have wonderful food and World Famous is right on the ocean and much, much better than any of the other 'beachside' restaurants. For what it's worth - Thee Bungalow is owned by the same guy that own's Nicks.

For food downtown I like Gaslamp strip club (you cook your own steaks - great atmosphere) or Lou and Mickey's. If you go to Seaport Village, take the time to walk down the embarcadero to The Fish Market - great food (one level $$$, one level more moderate)

2) I would not advise walking or taking shuttles or trams. Public trans in San Diego is horrible and it will take you longer to get around than you'll spend at your destinations, with a few exceptions. You can take the trolley throughout Mission Valley, Old Town and Downtown/Gaslamp but you would have to drive to one of those places first to do that. You could easily walk around each place once you get to it but as far as getting from area to area you'd be much better off taking a cab or driving yourself...

3) From your hotel you can walk south all the way to the Jetty in Mission Beach or North to La Jolla - south has more teens/kids, north more surfers. You can go longer if you head south.

Hope that helps...
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM

A few things. Thee Bungalow is in Point Loma and that is quite a drive from PB.

The suggestions of Nicks, World Famous, and the Fishery are very good. The Fishery is my favorite, but you would have to drive it but it is a very easy drive from PB. Well worth it. Sit outside. It is a nice place, and the fish is well prepared and reasonable. The Green Flash is pretty good too, right on the beach.

One of our favorite things to do is get bikes and bike the boardwalk. You can go ocean side, and then bayside. You see it all that way. It is really fun, just be sure you stay in your lane, b/c the locals get pissed if you don't.

For some night life you might look into who is playing at the Cannibal Bar at the Catamaran. They can get some pretty good entertainment there, especially Rockola. They also have an awesome brunch.

Oh, one more place to eat. If you go up Garnet, our favorite Sushi place is about five or six blocks up the road, Ichiban. Good, cheap, sushi.

Gaslamp is downtown and that is quite a ways away. But a very fun night life down there, and some awesome restaurants too.

Have fun. It is a great city.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Actually, not to be too picky but having lived there...

Thee Bungalow is in Ocean Beach - which is a bit confusing of a drive if you don't know your way around but maybe 10 minutes max from PB. It's also why I offered up Nick's instead - same owner, closer location. Also The Fishery IS in PB (North PB) - just go north on Mission (the same street your hotel is on), just further north.

And downtown is not quite a ways away - it's 10-15 minutes down the freeway. I drive it everyday.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:36 PM

denij777

Go to www.sandiego.org for answers to your public transportation questions as well as lots of other good information.

The first time we went to San Diego we enjoyed taking the Old Town Trolley Tour www.historictours.com - This is a two hour narrated tour if you stay on and just ride around. However there are 8 stops and you can hop and on off. Trolley runs about every 30 minutes. There is free parking at the Old Town Trolley Park.

We agree that the Ocean Park Inn is a very comfortable hotel and well located for meals. You certainly can walk a long way in each direction and it is one of our favorite activities.

Agree about the bike rental - lots of fun.

Best wishes for a great holiday.

Sandy
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Yes, Thee Bungalow is in PB. It is on Point Loma Blvd. Sorry for the confusion. Also across the street from TB is the Third Corner, owned by the same family, an excellent seafood restaurant with an amazingly reasonable wine list. Mostly seafood. Excellent, intimate, not fancy dining.

Bon Apetit
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Oh, and forgot, almost. Yes, I know that downtown isn't that far away from the Ocean Park Inn, but since they want to park their car and walk or take trams, it might be a little difficult for them to get to the Gaslamp area. But the night life is fun there, cool bars and spots to check out (personally we like the Martini Ranch and the lobby of the W for a drink) so is worth the effort. Just hanging around Mission can be fun as well. Seaport Village is right next to the Gaslamp, but also fun to walk around. Very lovely, safe area by day.

They also have the Midway, a huge aircraft carrier right next to Seaport Village that has been converted into a museum. Haven't seen it yet, but it is very interesting from what I have been told.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 12:25 PM

I have to chime in response to the public transit haters.

Though SD's public transit leaves alot to be desired, It's not terrible and can even be good in many areas.

Sorry, but those of you wanting to get around in Rancho Penasquitos, yes, you're out of luck.

From Pacific Beach, there is an express bus #30 that goes right by your hotel and gets you downtown in about 25 minutes.

http://tinyurl.com/3ht5s

The 30 however does not run on weekends, instead take the 34 to the Old Town Transit Center (20 minutes) and get on a train heading into downtown in about 10 minutes.

Of course, an auto will get you to any of these places in half the time, but as far as buses and trains go, the time/distances for going between PB and downtown are certainly reasonable.

There was an earlier mention of the Old Town Trolley - wich is a tourist bus. This is not to be confused with the SD Trolley - commeuter light rail.
The Old Town Trolley tour does not have any stops near to where you are staying. In addition, the price for 4 adults will approach $100, which is far too much $$ for the places it actually takes you (Coronado, Balboa Park/Zoo, Downtown, and Old Town).

You could shuttle yourself between these spots in readily available cabs for half the price.

Checkout sdcommute.com for specifics on SD public transit.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
malvado, were you aiming that Rancho Penasquitos thing at me? LOL.It's absolutely true, thought. Can't get from one side of PQ to the other by public transportation.