Reload this Page >

Lunch stop north of San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Neopolitan

OK, this is a quick one. Tomorrow we leave Los Angeles to drive to San Diego for our week there. But our apartment won't be ready until 3 PM. Any suggestion for a nice spot for lunch on the way? I'm thinking fun seafood along the beach or on a pier. I haven't driven that area in years -- south of Laguna would be better. Something at Oceanside or Carlsbad, for example?

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM
trippinkpj

Carlsbad has cute cafe's in their downtown. I liked Daily News, although there's another one that's more of a deli and they have tables too. I'll try to find it.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM
trippinkpj

I found it, It's the Grand Deli. Although now I see you want seafood on a pier. The only place I know on a pier is Ruby's on Oceanside Pier. It's a chain, and while they prob have fish and chips, I don't think it's what you are looking for LOL. You could get sandwhiches at Grand Deli and take them to the pier and eat them, LOL.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, neither Carlsbad or Oceanside have good seafood restaurants near the ocean.
Carlsbad does have a good seafood restaurant, however, called King's. It's just east of 5 across from the outlet mall.
Also, near "downtown" Carlsbad, is the Armenian Cafe (but think Greek), which has a very pleasant deck with a partial ocean view. It's on the Coast Highway, although it's called Carlsbad Blvd. in the city limits.
If you want to be outside right on the ocean, go a little further south to Cardiff and go to the Beach House or Charlie's. The food, which includes seafood, is pretty good to good, but the view is great, at both places. In fact, we plan to call the Beach House to make reservations for tonight.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
TahitiTams

Hi Neo..
Glad you are heading down our way to spend a week in SD..
I am not a fan of Oceanside and Carlsbad has some cute restaurants but nothing that is all that great..
Here is some places that might work for you..
Neiman's Seafood Grille, Carlsbad
Pelly's Cafe & Fish Market, Carlsbad
D.B. Hackers, Encinitas
La Especial Norte, Seafood Mex, Leucadia
Beach Grass Cafe, Solana Beach
beachgrasscafe.com
El Pescador, La Jolla
Charlie's by the Sea, Cardiff
charliesbythesea.com

Have fun while you are here..

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM

There's a nice little dining spot at the base of the Oceanside Pier - it's called The Fisherman if I remember correctly - and San Clemente is about half way between LA and SD.

I've never eaten anything there but seafood and it is quite good. They have both indoor and outdoor dining areas and I would characterize it as mid-range in pricing.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Neopolitan

The Beach House or Charlie's sounds just like what we're looking for. Just looked at their websites. You've got to love a place (Charlie's) with a slogan like "if you were any closer you'd be wet."

Thanks for the ideas.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM

The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. Don't expect fancy - just fantastic seafood.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I like the Beach House in Dan Point while my wife prefers the Beach House in Laguna Beach. Never have been to the 3rd one, in Cardiff-by the Sea.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Neopolitan:

Please share how the week long apartment rental worked out and if you would recommend to others.

Hope you are enjoying your week in beautiful San Diego.

Sandy

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Neopolitan

OK, we headed off the highway just south of Carlsbad, and before long came to Charlie's as we were approaching Cardiff by the Sea. That's where we ate -- at a wonderful little corner table facing the beach -- a bit too sunny for us on the patio. Food was good -- just what we wanted.

The apartment is WONDERFUL. Here is the link:
http://www.vrbo.com/72389
Costing us $159 a night total. It is 900 square feet, beautifully decorated as the pictures show. It faces east, south, and north, so there is no direct view to the Bay, except to the south and a nice view of the Coronado bridge in the distance. We are adjacent to Santa Fe Station, and easy to take the Trolley if we want, like last night to a show in Old Town, but also had underground parking provided. Three plasma TV's including one in the Master Bath with its own mini remote. Fully equipped and nicely so. We couldn't be happier with this place.

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM
TahitiTams

Hi Neopolitan..
Wow..gorgeous condo!
Perfect location and the price of $159 a night is so cheap...thank you for sharing and I will save this link for friends who need a place..
Thanks again for sharing and have fun in SD..
Glad you like Charlie's!

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Neopolitan - Thank you for your fast reply.

Wow! what a terrific place. We visit our son who lives in San Diego and will keep this in mind for a longer stay.

Sandy
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Neopolitan

SandyBrit, I noticed today when I posted the link that it now only shows a monthly price. The owners mentioned that the condo is being rather difficult with rentals. I'm thinking they may no longer offer one week rentals -- but it is worth a try.