Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ozone Park to theater district - train or drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying with friends in Ozone Park over the Labor Day weekend, and we plan to catch a broadway show on Sunday, September 5. Is it a bad drive from Ozone Park to the theater district on that day? I have a $10 coupon for several parking lots (as an example, one is on 500 West 43rd Street), so parking cost is not an issue. There are 4 of us and was wondering if driving will be better compared to taking the train. I have never driven within New York City before but I live near Boston and have driven there quite a number of times. Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Shouldn't be much traffic on the Labor Day weekend going into Manhattan. It's a stragihtforward drive from Oz Park to Manhattan. Woodhaven Blvd to the Long Island Expressway going West, right through the Midtown Tunnel. Than crosstown to the westside. Should take less than an hour, unless there is an unexpected delay or the infamous Manhattan street fair. Leave yourself extra time just in case.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Rob

Traffic should not be a problem getting to and from the city. 500 W. 43rd St is between 11th and 12th Avenues so it is a bit of a walk to Broadway - at least 3/4's of a mile. If the theater is near TImes Square a taxi will cost no more than $6 or $7 tip included. There are parking meters in the theater district and you might find one on theblock where the theater is located or close by. The last time I used one the cost was $1 an hour. The meters require quarters so have a load of them in case you find a parking meter on your way across town to the parking lot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know that the garage is 3/4 of a mile. We'll make it a point to get there in plenty of time to find decent parking and bring tons of quarters.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Another parking option is to try the website iconparking.com You can search for affiliates of theirs in the neighborhood you'll be in and see what the price would be right on their website. Easier than feeding meters or trying to read price signage from the car.

I would check the event calendar on nycvisit.com to see if, as Frank mentions, there are any street fairs or other events that might affect your drive. While the Midtown Tunnel is the easiest entry from the Long Island Expressway, the 59th st bridge has no toll and is another option. I'm sure your friends will know how to do this (take the exit that says last exit before toll).
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! I just found out that there is an 8th Avenue Fall Festival on September 5, 10 to 6, between 23rd and 34th streets. Would I be better off taking the train then?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:57 AM

If you take the Midtown Tunnel, get out and follow signs to uptown or 37th st. You should avoid the problem. Maybe a better idea is taking the 59th st bridge (also known as Queensboro) which lets you out further uptown (59-60). If your friends are native NYers, why not ask them what they'd suggest? It's not really about cost because I think it will be somewhat the same either way. It may in fact be easier without a car.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

My friends are elderly and they have never driven even though they've lived in New York for over 20 years. What is confusing to me is that the nycdot.com does not list the 8th avenue fall festival in their list in the "Weekend Traffic Advisory." Maybe it is just an oversight. I think we better take public transportation. Thank you for your response.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM

Nena, if your friends are elderly, perhaps driving does make more sense for their convenience (no stairs). I would take the 59th st bridge.

Another option if you're worried about driving and parking is a bus. I'm sure there are express buses from Ozone Park into the city. The QM 15 and 16 here

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/mas...xpressbus.html

list Ozone Park to midtown as their route.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:56 AM

As others have said, driving should be a breeze on Sunday. I would definitely reconsider. The fair should not be that much of a problem. What street is the theater on? If it's in the low 40s, then the distance from that garage is closer to a 1/2 mile than 3/4.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

It's the St. James Theater on 246 West 44th Street. I also have a coupon for the 136 West 40th Parking which would be slightly closer to the theater compared to the previous one I mentioned. I guess what is throwing me off are the directions from mappoint.com where after the Midtown Tunnel, you turn off onto ramp and then take a right onto 34th St., then turn right onto 8th Ave and then turn right onto W 40th. I'd hate to find out that these streets are close when I get there. As mclaurie had suggested, I can take follow signs to 37st street so I don't have to deal with 34th. I'll plot my route when I get home (map's at home). I will also look into 59th st. bridge route.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:37 AM

Since you are coming in on the east side and the fair is on the west side, you have plenty of time and space to go uptown and then go crosstown. I recommend taking 34th Street to 6th Avenue. Take a right on 6th. Since 40th Street is one way east, take a left on 39th and go to 8th Avenue, take a right up to 40th, take a right on 40th and continue onto the garage.
(If traffic is heavy on 34th Street, just take an earlier northbound avenue, i.e., Third or Madison and continue on to 39th Street.)
The parking garage is between 6th & 7th Avenues, so you'll only have a six-block walk (two west and four east), which is less than a half mile. The theater is between 7thAvenue/Broadway and 8th Avenue.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:37 AM

When you exit the tunnel you have 3 options--going left (to 34th don't do that!) or going "sort of" straight (right then quick left)or right. Either of the 2nd options will be be fine. Head west on 39th.

OR, take the bridge which has no toll. Go west on any st below 57th.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM
adoptionisfab

Make sure you read the fine print on the parking voucher. The price sounds really low (I am a jaded NY'er). Sunday should be a BREEZE!

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

I did - I got the discount from nytix.com since I signed up for their discount alerts to broadway shows (for a $3 fee - good for a month - worked for me since I did get a discount from the show we wanted). Also, I went into iconparking.com, and for the time we plan to be there (about 6 hours max), they priced this garage for $13.00. Thank you for the warning.

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement. I've decided to drive and I'll let you know as soon as I get back to my PC!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

It was a breeze to drive from Ozone Park to Manhattan! I drove the previous day to Union, NJ and that was interesting. I even drove to Brooklyn after Manhattan. I am so glad I took the chance. It really made it a lot easier for my friends. Thanks so much for everyone's, and yes, parking was $10 for about 6 hours. We had a grand time.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 05:57 PM

TERRIFIC!