Search

Outer Banks

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2023, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks

We may go to the Outer Banks this summer with an 11 year old and 12 year old. What are some of the recommendations of towns to stay in and things to do that kids would like. We will probably go to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens beforehand.
Old May 15th, 2023, 09:06 AM

OBX is long. Each township has a little different feel but, I think that's part of the fun of the area. If you're looking for things to do with the children, Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills is a good one to look at. There's kite flying on the dunea across the road from Kitty Hawk Kites plus other stores and you're right there around the Wright Brothers Memorial, which is interesting for everyone. Plenty of Putt Putt golf type places along the highway as well. There's a lot to do in that general vicinity. The further down you go, the less there is for kids to do in close proximity. There used to be a fun carnival type place right on the road down in, I don't know, Avon or lower that had go-carts etc. That's all been closed down. As of a couple of years ago, I didn't see anything down on that lower stretch, leading to Hatteras, that stood out. Not saying that your kids wouldn't have fun down there. There's the beach and, depending on the side of the highway you stay, there's also the sound. I rented a house on the sound side that came with kayaks. We had a blast out on the calm water. The only downside if you decide to stay on the sound is - if you want to go to the ocean side - now you're driving.

Ocracoke is definitely worth looking into! Yes, you have to go all the way down to Hatteras and get on a ferry that will wind around and deposit you at the top of the island. Drive down into the populated area and park yourself for a relaxing vacation Let the kids go. There's only so far they can go before looping back around to your house. Lots of fun shops for kids in the center of the 'town' and things to do. Ocracoke has a sweet little lighthouse and the downtown on-the-water area is fun too; rent a golf cart for your time down there - it's The Way to get around. If you want to go fishing offshore, it's the best location to leave from as you're out there in the beautiful blue water fishing, faster than leaving from other marinas up north. My vote would be Ocracoke.

Hope this helps.
Old May 15th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Glad to see this. I'm thinking of renting a house for a week on the OBX in a couple of years, didn't know where to go, and Ocracoke is the answer I wanted -- maybe because of the Blackbeard connection, don't know.

Last edited by Fra_Diavolo; May 15th, 2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 15th, 2023, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

thank you. We are planning to go mid August. My reading says that August is the rainiest month. I hated to hear that.
Old May 15th, 2023, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by tidy
thank you. We are planning to go mid August. My reading says that August is the rainiest month. I hated to hear that.
Rentals usually are Saturday or Sunday which means lots of folks have a blistering sunburn come Monday evening. lol Sometimes rain at the beach affords you experiences you otherwise wouldn't have considered - Wright Brothers, for instance, would be a possibility if you have a rain day and it would eat up a big chunk as your travel time would be a couple of hours each way. Food for thought - August is also a month where hurricanes come into the picture. You may want to consider the insurance package that is offered with your rental for peace of mind.
Old May 15th, 2023, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Glad to see this. I'm thinking of renting a house for a week on the OBX in a couple of years, didn't know where to go, and Ocracoke is the answer I wanted -- maybe because of the Blackbeard connection, don't know.
Bring your best pirate voice and an eye patch. Haha
Old May 15th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I knew that was the time for hurricanes but it is the only time that works for us unfortunately, I may think about another location...but I really do want to go to the OBX
Old May 16th, 2023, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tidy
I knew that was the time for hurricanes but it is the only time that works for us unfortunately, I may think about another location...but I really do want to go to the OBX
I don't want to scare you away. I've gone during August and September many, many times and only once ,in thirty years, did a hurricane blow our plans. I hope you go....and have a blast.
Old May 17th, 2023, 01:59 AM

BUT your rental company will undoubtedly offer you hurricane insurance and DO get it.
Old May 17th, 2023, 05:07 AM

We did a late August trip last year with a stay in Hatteras. Maybe more variety if based there rather than Ocracoke. The ferry leaves from there so if you want to do more exploring such as the other lighthouses then you don't have to include the ferry ride but can still get to Ocracoke easily. We stayed at the Breakwater Inn.
Old May 17th, 2023, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeboots
I don't want to scare you away. I've gone during August and September many, many times and only once ,in thirty years, did a hurricane blow our plans. I hope you go....and have a blast.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. Hurricane season runs from June to November with Sept/Oct typically the busiest. One downside to staying the southern OBX beaches is that they are quicker to evacuate b/c of the single 2-lane highway access and, for Ocracoke, the ferry ride. The OBX dog leg makes Buxton, Hatteras, and Ocracoke a little more vulnerable to storms coming up the coast.

I think if the tween aged kids are sporty outdoor types they'd likely love a week in Ocracoke. It's definitely a more olde timey beach experience than some of the places up in the middle & northern beaches.

I also wouldn't let the possibility of hurricane stop you. But for sure get the travel insurance.
Old May 17th, 2023, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your encouragement, I think we will go.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

I think we will stay in Kill Devil Hill, Nags Head or Kitty Hawk with the kids. Is there one of these areas that has a better beach area. If we were by ourselves I would definitely want Ocracoke. . We will only have 4 days so am thinking of a hotel. Is anyone familiam with Shutters on the Banks, Ramada Oceanfront or John Yancy Oceanfront.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think, but am not sure, that all of the properties you've mentioned are in Kill Devil Hills. Regardless, they're located in close enough proximity that the beachfront will be the same. There's really not much if any difference between KDH, Nags Head and Kitty Hawk regarding the actual beach.

They are all older properties I'd describe as clean and comfortable. I'd choose the one with the latest room updates.
Old May 24th, 2023, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Oasis Inn is rated 1 out of 13 hotels in Nags Head but it is on the sound instead of the beach. The reviews are great but we will need to drive to the beach which is only a mile away. Holiday Inn also has good reviews and is on the beach.
Old May 24th, 2023, 06:29 AM

My mantra when going to the beach is "I'm gonna be on the ocean".