Orlando in August: too hot to handle?!

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orlando in August: too hot to handle?!

We have the chance to go to Orlando from Seattle in early August for a conference of my hubby's with our 2 young daughters, and were wondering whether the hot humid weather would be too sweltering?! Any recommendations would be so appreciated!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Only speaking for myself- it's too da-- hot right now! I'm in West Palm Beach.

The tickets for a family are pretty expensive to not enjoy yourself because of the heat.

We only go from Nov. to April.

Coming from Seattle, you will be in weather-shock, but if the trip is free- do the best you can.

Bring spray bottles for each person and drink LOTS of fluids!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:19 PM
LN

Yes - it would be way too hot!!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we could go almost free, but still...being from the Northwest, my daughters don't handle heat that well and they melt when it's over 75 degrees! It's a long plane trip for us, too. Thanks for the info...any other opinions?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Orlando in August-- daytime temps should be well above 80, with high humidity. This could be the vacation where your family learns to tolerate hot, sticky Southern summers-- or where you learn you don't ever want to go there in summer again.

I would take them (hey, free travel, go for it!!), but spread out the theme park stuff over several days. There are cool places, sure, but the heat while waiting to get on attractions will be draining. If you can stay on Disney property, all the better, so that people can go back to the hotel and rest as necessary. Drink lots and lots of water (NOT soft drinks, they're more diuretic than water and can lead to quicker dehydration), wear sunscreen and hats, grab shade wherever possible.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:38 PM

If the trip is almost free - I'd take it. At the very worst, it will be too hot and you will hang out in the pool all day long. There are definitely worse ways to spend time - LOL.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:53 PM

My husband had a meeting in Orlando a few years ago in July. Not only was the heat horrible, the theme parks are tremendously overcrowded. We waited upwards of an hour for some of the popular attractions at Universal Studios and Disney, dinner reservations were hard to come by during dining hours, etc. As well as American tourists on Summer vacation, it was winter recess in South America and there were zillions of South American students on tour. If you go, stay away from the theme parks during "peak hours"
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:56 PM

It sounds like you (and daughters) haven't been there before. If not, and it's someplace you've been wanting to go it makes good sense to go. If the heat is too much and you don't feel like Disney, Universal, Wet N Wild, etc. - Orlando has malls, movie theatres, etc. where you don't have to be uncomfortable.

Remember - there will be thousands of others there with you - and southerners are not really in love with the heat and humidity either.

You seem to have a great deal. Now, just realize you're probably going to get hot, uncomfortable at times, tired, and balance that with the offer.

I'd go.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Hi dlai!
Yes, Orlando will be REALLY hot in August. If it's your best shot at going, however, you should go and just take some basic precautions regarding handling the heat. 1) Drink a lot of water and if you're visiting theme parks, take water bottles into the parks and refill as needed. 2) Take frequent breaks! Leave the parks during the hottest part of the day. Go back to your hotel and swim or take naps. Or, go shopping at the many outlet malls and regular malls in the area.

It might also be helpful to just pick one or two parks that your girls want to go to, rather than trying to cram in every park in the area. Then you can spread your time out a little better and maybe be able to escape the heat more often.

There's a great book called "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" that you might want to read before you go. It will give you great tips on hotels, restaurants, theme parks, etc. and also gives you tips and ideas on how best to see the various parks.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 04:16 PM

You didn't say how old your daughters are. I would say that if they or one is under 4, just forget it unless you want to go and relax and sit by the pool as your main activity. Free travel or not, it is really hot and unbearable for someone coming from the Pacific Northwest. We moved to SW FL 14 yrs. ago in the month of Sept. from the SF Bay area and I can still remember how floored I was that people could actually function outdoors here. I would not do it.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 04:40 PM

The parks in Orlando are packed this time of year so many are able to tolerate it and, in fact, return year after year. The body adjusts to the heat if properly hydrated. Sunscreen and water are the key words here and since you are from the Northwest...sunglasses are required even on overcast days. Light is bright down here.

Common sense should rule. I'd spend the hottest part of the day at a water park or at the resort pool. Do the rides in the mornings or the evening. Many of the attractions are air conditioned to provide a reprieve.

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your wonderful advice--we're going to think about this!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 09:32 AM
dln

We had the same chance as you years ago and took it. Orlando is loads of fun when you have young ones with you. While my husband was at the conference I took the kids out early either to swim or to visit Disney. We'd last until lunchtime and then head on back to the wonderfully cool a/c hotel. About 3:00 or 4:00 when the real heat of the day lessened we'd head back out again. I found that my kids needed the afternoon siesta time because the heat and humidity physically tired them out and made them a bit cranky. And, as everyone else has mentioned, carry lots of plain water with you. It is necessary!

My husband was really glad we came with us because it turned a business conference into a mini family vacation. At a very low cost, too, which was an added bonus.

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Dear dln:
Thanks so much for the advice; now I'm thinking once again that the trip might be worth enduring the humidity and long plane ride! We had talked ourselves out of going, but now I'm wondering again...
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I don't know about the adjusting to the heat. I've lived down here all my life-don't remember being hot as a kid.

As an adult, I go shopping when I need to and to the pool-all before noon. Everything else is to an air-conditioned place only.

As other posters have said-plan your hours so you are not sun-struck! Of course, if there is rain, you will be happy to walk in it !
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:11 PM
dln

I'm afraid, dlai, that I'm going to have to egg you on. There's only a little window of opportunity with your children in regard to Orlando. When they're young, the place is akin to Mecca for them. When they're the age that mine are now (14 and 16) all you need do is say "remember Disney/Sea World etc" and they're rolling their eyes at you. But I, their mother, remember how delighted they were when we took them on the conference with Daddy. Heat and all, they had fun!

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GO!! I'm an adult who is always hot. I've been to Disney in July and survived just fine. Go early, take afternoon breaks at the hotel pool and go back to the parks in the evening. For LOADS of advice on Disney and other things in Orlando go to www.disboards.com
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:04 PM

I moved back to Florida 35 years ago and love it ... that's because I go from an A/C office to an A/C car to an A/C home. Go ... it will be hot but you can always duck into someplace with A/C.

PS ... the first time I lived in Florida was BAC that is "before air conditioning" but I still moved back. We have a saying here ... "we have seasons, too ... hot and humid!"