orlando, Fl for weekend - what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Orlando the first weekend in march with an old friend for another friend's wedding. No kids, no family so I just want to have fun. We have 2 days and one evening free so I am looking for ideas other than Disney. We like to eat and drink and go to fun, informal bars and restaurants. We are staying at the Rosen Centre Hotel and we don't want to rent a car. Likely we will take cabs and maybe a trolley?? Also the Airboat Ride looks fun. Any ideas??
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35100643
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Spent a few days in Orlando this summer when we took our son to college there. Most of our time was getting him settled in and buying stuff he needed. We enjoyed an evening at Universal's boardwalk (I'm not sure what it really is called). It was free after 6 pm (actually, i think its the parking that's free but no admissio to get into the venue.) it has lots of restaurants, bars, a few amusements, etc. Its a fun place to go and people watch in the evening. I also saw an interesting musuem, I think also on Universal Blvd perhaps called dreamworks (or run by Dreamworks. You can tell it because it looks like an upside down building. My son has since been to it and for a kid who doesnt like musuems, he said it was pretty cool.
Cabs looked pretty expensive in Orlando, so I would either rent a car or use the trolleys. I'm not sure what's in the disney area, but there is one in the Universal area.
If you like to shop there was a nice outlet mall with some high end stores.
A good friend loves a bar that is either in downtown disney or the Disney Boardwalk called jelly rolls. there are dueling piano players entertaining you. I've never been able to go because our kids were too young, but next trip, we plan on visitng it.
even though you don't plan on going to disney, I still recommend visiting mousesavers.com, a website devoted to all things disney. Included in the website are things other than disney, restaurants, transportation tips, etc.
Have a good trip.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM

I think 321go has it pretty well covered.

All I can add to that list is:

Blue Man Group at Universal <http://www.universalorlando.com/bmg_overview.html>

La Nouba (Cirque du Soleil) <http://tinyurl.com/2sk6bx>
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments! i will look into them.