Oregon - whats to do and see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving to Disneyland from Vancouver BC in the last 2 weeks of March, 2007.
we are 2 adults,2 kids(12&6) & grandma
WHERE is it best to get on/off scenic 101
On the way back we plan to drive back on 101
on 27 28 & 29 of march 2007 or 28&29 th only
-is it too cold to go to a beach - in oregon?
-which is the the best beach anyways?
-what about sand dunes? best ones for buggies/ATV rentals?with the 12& 6yr old which is best lighthouse?
- cheese factory - worth a visit??
- best hotels to stay -- CLEAN MAIN CITERIA
but also on a beach or something else which is UNIQUE & INTERESTING IN MARCH END
NOT IN PORTLAND - NO BIG CITIES PLEASE

PS -- in CA we plan 1 day - universal
2-3 days disney ,2 days in san diego
HOTELS IN SAN DIEGO ??
CHEAP SITE FOR all ATTRACTION TICKETS??
ANY PACKAGES AVAILABLE?
ANY other DAY TRIPS recommmended?
Thanks for the advice(s)
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM

The Oregon Coast is beautiful, but know that US 101 is a slow highway with many towns that make you drive 25-35 mph. If by chance you hit spring break traffic it can be slow going for sure.

It's almost always too cold to swim in the ocean on the Oregon Coast, even in the summer, and it's "beach weather" usually only in the summer. The Coast is better for scenery and hiking, not so much "hangin' on the beach." I'd do that in San Diego!

I like Newport. There's some kids stuff there (old bay front) and a light house at Yaquina Head in a beautiful national area. There's also the Oregon Coast Aquarium and the Hatfield Marine Science Center that are worth checking out at least with kids.

Get an AAA tour map of the Oregon Coast if you can - lots of info about cool stuff to do along the coast.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Oregon's three major attractions are the coast, the Columbia River Gorge, and Crater Lake. And, there is much more.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM

For cheap admission tickets you could purchase a Southern California City Pass. The cost is $235 US and it includes 3 days at Disneyland, 1 day at Universal Studios, Seaworld, and either the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park. You can buy them through BCAA offices in Vancouver, online, or (I think) at some of the attractions. I believe this works out cheaper than the current specials at Disney and Universal where adults pay the kids price.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Average high temps along the Oregon coast will be in the mid-50s, not really beach weather like Andrew says. If you're coming up from CA 101, I'd suggest going at least as far as Newport, than taking either hwy 20 or 18 inland to I-5.

Best dunes are just south of Florence. Because of the time of year, dune buggy schedules may be limited, but you can't miss the two major companies. IMO, the first you'll see - about 5 miles south of Florence - is the better of the two.

Haceta Head lighthouse is one of the most photographed spots on the coast. It's between Florence and Yachats. Don't know if they're doing tours that time of year, though.

Cheese Factory worth a visit? Not unless you're craving an ice cream cone.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I hate to make the folks in Southwest Washington mad, but in your place I would take I-5 down to Kelso/Longview and take SR-4 over to the bridge crossing the river to Astoria and go down the Oregon coast from there.

As others have noted, 101 is slow...we add one day to our trip plans if going down 101 instead of the freeway (because of snow in the Siskiyou's).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM

marking
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM

you might enjoy the dune buggy rides south of Florence - very fun
and your kids might enjoy the Sand board park in Florence. You can also rent sand boards and go sandboarding at
Honeyman State Park
However weather is pretty iffy in March
but you never know.
A friend was over at the coast last week and said weather was great - you might get lucky!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone
keep it comming
is mar end that bad - its 2 days to april
is disneyland okay then mar 20 - 25
and san diego 26/27 mar
did we blunder on timing ? but its now or ............. almost never
PLEASEEE SAY IT'LL BE JUST FINE
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:56 AM

It really depends on luck and your personality. My personal opinion is that the ocean is at its best when stormy. IT may not be as pleawsant to walk around in but it wont look more beautiful than it does with 75 mph winds.
That said...the temps on the coast are quite mild year round...not too warm not and not too cold. I lived there for many years and I can say that I have seen many many beautiful days in March (65-70 no wind) I have also seen ALOT of rain. Like I always say...if you dont like the weather in Oregon give it 5 minutes.
Dont let it spoil your trip...the locals live with it so can you!If its raining in Newport while you are there hit the aquarium and Ripley's on the waterfront.
If your in BAndon and its stormy...go to shore Acres on Cape Arago Hwy. They have an indoor viewing area where you can watch the waves hit the rocks at the base of the cliff below. During very heavy storms the mist comes up over the top of the cliff.
Gold beach has...Jerry's Jet Boat excursions up the Rogue River..very fun! Bandon and Tillamook both have cheese factories...IMO not worth a tour but definately worth a stop to sample and buy some snacks for the drive! Just inland from Coos Bay is Golden and Silver Falls. They are really beatiful that time of year.
Hope this helps!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado last Dec for 3 nights and really loved the entire experience at the Del. Coronado is gorgeous, the hotel is amazing and the service at the resort was excellent as were their restaurants, the Sheerwater and 1500 Ocean. SeaWorld was really fun, also!

I like the suggestion for going through Astoria, so much charm and history in this town, located right on the Columbia River. Check out the Maritime Museum (we have an exhibit there "Art of the Decoy" that runs through the end of this year), Fort Clatsop, the Astor Column and the Flavel House are all very educational and interesting.

Fort Stevens State Park in Warrenton is a fun spot and we love the beaches in Seaside (Ave U is gorgeous) and Cannon Beach. Indian Beach is where we enjoyed lots of surfing last summer. Ecola State Park is worth a visit also, a nice place to stop for a picnic lunch and take in the gorgeous views. Enjoy your trip! ***kim***

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Like panhandle says, don't let it spoil your trip. Hope for sunshine, but plan for rain.

Just a couple corrections/clarifications of previous posts.... Bandon Cheese is no more. It was bought by Tillamook Cheese 6-7 years ago, and they closed it a couple years later. Too bad; I thought their cheese was better than Tillamook's.

And, I don't know if you'll make it that far north (you're driving south to north, right?), but if you're looking for Indian Beach, it's in Ecola State Park.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

keep it coming plz
?? places to stay
san diego
along oregon coast
thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Only place I can personally recommend ( as in I have actually stayed there ) along the Oregon Coast would be The Inn at Arch Cape www.innatarchcape.com..
Every room has a fireplace it is less than a block to the beach..10 miles South of Cannon Beach..close to the town of Manzanita which is beautiful and charming and I wished I could live there!

Just get used to the idea of rain in Oregon and if it is not raining one day, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Ecola State Park (where you find Indian Beach) is soo beautiful, the entire Coastline is so beautiful, you will want to stop every 5 minutes to take pictures.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

/
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM

You will most likely have beautiful weather in Southern California. Northern Calif.is always a question mark in March.
You should look at your map to decide a route you want to take. After awhile, the scenic route might get a bit tedious for kids.
But, in Southern Oregon my family enjoyed a detour to Oregon Caves and loved spending the night in that classic old-world lodge. From there you can drive a short way to catch 101 in Crescent City. There is much to see, but high on my list would be the Avenue of the Giants for exploring the Redwoods. There are trails just off the road for a lovely little walk to stretch your legs. In the area, we have stayed in Meyers Flat at the B&B there, but our favorite was slightly south at the Miranda Gardens Inn - great little cabins in the woods.
Also you might look at the feasibility of jogging over to Highway 1 to go through Mendocino. Howard Creek Ranch is an interesting place to stay north of Fort Bragg. It is gorgeous there, nice rooms and cabins at varying rates and only steps from the beach. Not for swimming (too dangerous) but a great up-close experience totally different than what you would have LA or San Diego. Very Unique. The kids would enjoy the creek and the suspension walking bridge as well.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM

For more info check:

www.howardcreekranch.com

www.mirandagardens.com

Also the Mendocino Botanical Gardens located between Fort Bragg and Mendocino - our kids loved it as much as we did!
From Mendocino I would go back to 101, then head south on 101 to San Rafael perhaps and then cut over to Highway 5 to take the fast route to Disneyland (about 6 - 7 hours).
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

hi again