Oregon Coast or California Redwoods?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm looking for advice on our roadtrip.

We live in the San Francisco Bay area, and are heading up to Seattle. We have about 9 days. Our trip up North is decided already, and on our way back down, we are trying to decide whether to spend a couple of days along the Oregon Coast or Norther California Redwood area?

Some more background: We have 2 nights and will probably be camping, so we'd prefer to set up for 2 nights in 1 spot, rather than spend 1 night in each. We have girls aged 7 and 10.

Opinions wanted.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Since you've got Redwoods in SF nearby, I'd say Oregon Coast.
Different that the Ca. coast. Between Florence and Newport, if I had my druthers.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM

This is the best place we found to camp inside the Redwoods. Campgrounds were fantastic. Trails big and wide with wonderful Redwoods close by or some longer hikes. Close to the ocean too at Crescent City.

We liked campsites 14 13 16, al1 close to the river, showers/Bathrooms.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Get off I-5 at Longview and come across the Columbia to get onto US 30 to Astoria. Go south on US 101. Make a stop at the Tillamook Cheese factory. They have great ice cream and cheese.
Continue south on 101 and stay in an Oregon State park that has yurts. (reserveable see site http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...Page&parkId=69 )
You might want to see the Oregon Coast Aquarium just south of Newport. Cut back to I-5 on Rt. 38 from Reedsport. About 4-5 miles east of Reedsport, stop at the Dean's Creek Elk viewing area to see Roosevelt Elk.
IMO the Coast Redwoods in Redwood NP are no better then the ones much closer to you in Muir Woods.
If you could spring for an extra day, try to get to Crater Lake NP.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM

With girls ages 7 and 10, your family would probably love a larger campground that offers lots of ranger and junior ranger programs, group campfires etc. If you choose the Oregon Coast, I think it's a tossup between Fort Stevens, South Beach and Honeyman.

Fort Stevens is great because of its proximity to Astoria, the washed up wreck on its beach, a lake to boat, great trails and strong ranger programs. South Beach has an extensive ranger program, quick to the ocean and close proximity to Newport.

Honeyman State Park is a classic. I have not attended the actual ranger programs in years but it appears that is still active. It also has a lake where you can rent boats or swim out to a diving platform. We have often come here for the day. Closest town is Florence.