Oregon/Washington coast question

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Anne

Oregon/Washington coast question

I've been doing a fair amount of research on an upcoming trip to Oregon and Washington. Right now I'm planning on spending time in Portland, the Yamhill wine region, day trips to Mt. St. Helens and Columbia Gorge area, possibly stopping for a day or two in the Yakima area in WA and then spending a few nights in Seattle. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend time at the coast in either state. Ideally I'm looking for a nice hotel, on the luxury end of things that is beachfront, has an outdoor pool. I'd love a resort type place that had beach facilities (meaning chairs on the beach). It is looking to me like this doesn't exist (in terms of a beachfront hotel with a private beach). Seems like you stay in a B&B or smaller inn and then drive to beaches (meaning you'd have to bring your own towels, chairs, etc.). Is this true? If not, any suggestions? I am not a B&B type person. Thanks!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:55 AM
John

You must understand, Anne, that the Oregon and Washington beaches are normally cold, ranging from sorta cold and breezy to really, really cold and windy. Usually beautiful, seldom warm. There will be a few days in a year when you'd feel like stretching out on a towel California-style, but honestly they are few and far between.

There are a couple of places that might work for you - the Salishan Lodge near Pacific City in Oregon (pretty golfy and no accommodation right on the beach); the Inn at Spanish Head not far from there, at least facing the beach, and probably some others that other people can mention. But there's no Hotel Del on the Oregon or Washington coasts.

Legally, there are no private beaches in either state - public property, and in Washington technically state highway (cars allowed here and there - ugh!)

East of the Cascades, now - that's another story. But it's not salt water.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:05 PM
beachbum

The nicest place on the Oregon coast is the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. The Stephanie is an upscale B&B with a lot of what you're looking for. But, as John wrote, you'll be hard pressed to find an outdoor pool anywhere. BTW, IMO the Stephanie also has the best restaurant on the coast.

The town of Cannon Beach is a small, artsy, beach community. When the weather is nice, it's one of the best spots on the planet.

Must be thinking about Yakima for the wine?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
beachbum

Forgot to say you won't find private beaches (by law) on the OR coast. But the Stephanie, and a few others, do provide beach lounges, cabanas, etc.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:56 PM
toldham

In oregon, how cold would the beach be durign the day in the summer?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:32 PM
John

The water temperatures are usually in the 50s F. Therefore so is the air, unless you're protected from the breeze or if the wind's blowing offshore (toward the ocean.) In those rare cases the beach can warm up to the 60s or 70s. Hawaii it ain't.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Anne

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the info. Coming from Massachusetts where the weather is often warm but water temps rarely rise above low 50s--you'll still find resorts at many places. Thanks for letting me know the situation in OR/WA.

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:52 AM
msa

Yes, the OR and WA coasts are beautiful, but definitely not warm The coastal experience of the PNW is far different than what most people think of a "beach"...guess whats why we all refer to it as the coast instead. Anyway...very nice, lots to do, but not warm...but do not let that deter you! As far as Yakima...have lived there twice...do not even waste your time. I will stop at that.