Search

OREGON RESTAURANTS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OREGON RESTAURANTS

We will be staying in the following cities in Middle September and wish opinions about the best restaurants in them:
Portland
Bend
Grants Pass
Bandon
Newport
McMinnville
I value the opinions of all you folks and appreciate all the wonderful advice we have been receiving from this website.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM

For breakfast I love St. Honore Bakery in the NW section. They have wonderful salads as well.
http://www.sainthonorebakery.com/menu.html

Someone mentioned I think it was Veritable Quandry. I plan to try it when I go in August.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM

mrtdm, you might get some additional information from this post

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ortland-or.cfm
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
pdx

In Bend try breakfast at the Alpenglow. Not fancy, wonderful Cascading Grains pancakes.

There's a new restaurant in town here in Portland, opens up later this month
http://pdx.eater.com/tags/troy-furuta
I have high hopes for the place, I always liked Carafe, the restaurant it's replacing and the chef is the owner of the new place.

The VQ is great. Fave place for a martini, great ambience.
At the very moment, if I could go anywhere in town I would probably go to Wildwood. Always a good flavor bang for your buck.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM

pdx--I always liked Carafe also so will be anxious to hear how this new place is.

Higgins and Southpark Seafood are a couple of places that have been around a while here, but are always very good. Locally sourced, etc.

For breakfast, Mother's Bistro is a must.

In Bend, for a super casual lunch, but very typical Oregon, try Cafe Yumm in the Old Mill District. It is a healthy version of a quick lunch. Deschutes Brewery is another must in Bend, but there is now one in downtown Portland as well. Great burgers and such, and great beer.

In Newport, a couple of our favorites are Local Oceans and then in the Nye Beach area of town Cafe Stephanie. Both are excellent! Avoid Mo's, as much as you will see it advertised everywhere. It was ok 20-30 years ago, but there is nothing redeeming about it anymore.

In McMinnville, there are lots of really good places right in town as well as nearby. Bistro Maison is right in downtown Mac and is excellent for lunch or dinner. If it is a nice day, be sure to sit outside on the patio. Another favorite is Wildwood Cafe for amazing breakfast and lunch dishes. Other good places are Sage for their broccoli soup and homemade bread, Red Foxx Bakery for baked goods and sandwiches, and Hotel Oregon for their rooftop bar on a nice day. La Rambla is also really good. All of these are right in the heart of downtown. Oh, and two wonderful chocolate shops in downtown are Honest Chocolates and Tamamari. MMMM!!!!!

Do you want any suggestions for around McMinnville? Dundee and Newberg have lots of great places and are only a few minutes from there.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Alloro in Bandon. Just had one of the best meals in years there. Highly recommend. Res required!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 03:35 AM

Fooey - lost a post trying to retrieve this page for Hinman/Silvan Ridge Winery - outside of Eugene, so I am pasting it right now. http://silvanridge.com/

It has a cute deck/picnic area overlooking the vineyards, and also check out Kings Estate and my favorite brand/name - Sweet Cheeks.

I was adding that while you are in Oregon - hope you visit one or more of the 400 plus wineries - and try some of the Pinot Noir - where the Beaver State vintners really shine.

A good friend of mine from grade school days in Oregon - if something of a Pinot Noir fan (when he's not tapping skulls - as a neurosurgeon) - and at the bottom is what he recommends for pinots.

Also - while in Grants Pass - you might venture over to cute Ashland - for not only a Shakespeare play at their magnificent open air theater, but they also have some very good places to dine - and check under Oregon - for BBQBoy's posts - for more info on Ashland restaurants.

Here are the recommended Pinot Noirs:

"Archery Summitt, Domaine Drouhin, Cameron, Bergstrom, Penner-Ash, Monksgate

My son likes Suefert in Dayton OR "
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:25 AM

In Grants Pass I have had a nice lunch at Blondies Bistro.

In Bend Greg's Grill is a nice restaurant in the Old Mill area-

Newport- a second vote for Local Ocean- Its not a big fancy restaurant but I thought the food was very good.

Portland- I do like Veritable Quandry but it gets very crowded in the evening. There are a couple of restaurants down on the waterfront I enjoy not really because of fine dining but because of the atmosphere- waterfront, outside dining- but I have to think of the names- will post again when I think of them.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Newport Seafood Grill is a place I like in Portland- it sits out in the water- had a floating dock so boats can pull up and dine- the food may not be fabulous but I thought it was good and I like being out on the water with all the boats around me.

I also like McCormick and Schmidts Harborside- does not get great reviews but I have always enjoyed meals there- and again, you can dine outside amidst all the activity of the waterfront
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Tomsd--What does your old classmates profession have to do with this? BTW, it is Seufert.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:43 AM

nanabee named two of my favorite places in Portland, OR. The St. Honore Bakery/Boulangerie will make you think you're in Paris, complete with little tables outside. And the baked goods (all of them, sweet & savory) are to die for.

Also, Veritable Quandry is wonderful for brunch, happy hour & dinner. Make reservations for brunch and dinner!!! Excellent cocktails, too! (Pear Ginger martini is delish).

Also love Andina (Peruvian Tapas) & Jake's Famous Crawfish (Fish, owned by McCormick & Schmicks, but still great).
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM

mms - I can gather that trying to explain would just be a waste of time.

And what Pinots do you recommend?
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
pdx

Ditto Alloro in Bandon, and ditto the reservations. There are a billion golfers hogging up the reservations so get yours in as soon as you know your dates. Not to be missed, seriously.