Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oregon in September for 3 day weekend - where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting to think about where to go for three nites toward end of September and thinking about Oregon. Would get there on a Thursday afternoon and leave on a Sunday late afternoon flight. Would fly into Portland but don't want to stay in a city. Any suggestions where to go? Thinking might be a good time for fall foliage. We just want to relax, drive around and see some pretty scenery, walk around some small towns.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Grant's Pass area, Ashland, Crater Lake, Oregon Caves National Park (spectacular walking there). Three days in late September would be great in that area.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Forget to mention the one downside is that it is about a 5 to 6 hour drive from Portland. You can also check on connecting flights through Portland to Medford.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Perfect timing for the Columbia Gorge, Hood River loop and Mt. Hood. Dramatic scenery, probable fall color at higher elevations, apple harvest maybe still in progress, and 3 days is a good time frame. Very convenient to the Portland airport, but plenty of attractive accommodations up the river and inland (both OR and WA sides) in beautiful countryside.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I could probably fly into Eugene instead of Portland if that makes a difference in your suggestions. Thx.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I would agree with the above suggestions. Ashland is quite a drive from Portland but is great. Cannon Beach might be a good bet for you too. It is a reasonable drive from Portland and the coast is amazing.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:29 AM

We love Ashland and Grants' Pass both but it is quite a drive from Portland, unless you plan to fly into Eugene. I would recommend flying into Portland (it's a beautiful city) and taking the short drive over to the Cannon Beach/Seaside/Astoria area.

Astoria is a beautiful city, full of charm and history. You will see beautiful scenery there, it is located dircetly on the Columbia River which is breath-taking. Antique shops, great places to eat. You will be in heaven if you like seafood! Take the trolley ride along the riverfront and visit the many beautiful museums.

I was very impressed with their recent art gallery, located across from the Liberty Theatre. Valley Bronze of Oregon. [email protected] Stunning pieces of art!! It is a very nice place to relax and will entertain you for hours. Don't miss a meal at their upscale new Italian place called Fulio's. Since this is only a three day trip, I wouldn't waste the time driving 5-6 hours down to Southern OR when you will be so close to so much beauty and culture around the northern coast. If you do decide on Ashland, I have some great places to recommend for lodging and eating there. We just returned from this whole area a few days ago. Have a great time!! ***kim*** www.astoriaoregon.com to check out this awesome place!!

The Gorge is also a wonderful place. Check out the Columbia Gorge Hotel for lodging in that area.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM

I mentioned flying into Medford because friends are joining us next summer in Ashland. Actually they are flying into LAX and driving eventually to Ashland. When they started checking airfares they are finding they may be able to fly home from Medford for the same price as flying back from Sacramento or SanFrancisco which would also necessitate driving to. I believe United and Alaska airlines both fly into Medford. I'm not sure of others.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Where do you stay when you visit Ashland? My absolute favorite place is the Ashland Springs Hotel. Of course, you know I loved Chateaulain, but have you tried the Peerless? It's next on my list. What plays are you seeing? I'd like to catch one in the Elizabethian this summer. The Green Show is very nice to watch before the plays start. I also want to try Old Sammy's Cowboy Bistro in Talent. Been there? ***kim*** www.ashlandspringshotel.com and www.peerlesshotel.com for you orangetravelcat to help in that area!!

If you go to Grant's Pass, stay at the Riverside Inn. www.riversideinn.com and take the Hellgate Jet Boat excursion. We've only done the QuickN'Scienic but have heard great things about the dinner excursion. It will take you back to where The River Wild was filmed. ***kim***
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I'd go with Gardyloo's suggestion. Thursday night, McMinammons Edgefield Inn, Friday on the Gorge scenic hwy visiting falls. Friday night, Hood River. Saturday, Mt. Hood loop, visiting apple orchards and ending at Timberline Lodge for the night. Hang out at Mt. Hood during the day, to return for flight that night. Not too much driving and great scenery.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:38 PM

And miss that gorgeous coastal scenery? That would a shame! Maybe you could do both!! www.oregoncoast.com to explore your options further!! ***kim***
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Another vote for Gardyloo's Columbia Gorge-Mount Hood loop itinerary. Ashland/Grants Pass is a worthwhile destination, but on this short weekend you will spend less time in mere transportation if you stay as close to Portland as the Gorge-Hood trip is, whether you fly down to Medford or drive down to Ashland. Also, I think the Gorge/Hood scenery is more beautiful and unique, and because it is the more lushly wooded area, this would be especially true in the fall.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM

OrangeTravelCat, too bad you don't have more time to do both!! Three days at the Gorge area and three days on the northern coast would be great! You'll have to come back another time to see what you don't get to in this short amount of time!

We just had three days in Astoria and it was not enough! We stayed overnight in Grant's Pass on the way up and winged it straight through 14 hrs. on the way home. Not my idea of a relaxing trip, but I knew this was a "working" vacation. In the Spring we will do the same but have at least nine days which will be nice. ***kim***
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 02:05 PM

kimamom, we're on the same wavelength. We've stayed at Grant's Pass at the Riverside and done the Hellgate Jet Boat. Would love some day to do the three night raft trip.

We've always stayed at the Bard's Inn in Ashland -- the newer buildings across the street. But this summer we're staying at the Ashland Springs Hotel -- already have three rooms reserved. We'll be there the end of July and see Much Ado About Nothing in the Elizabethan, Humble Boy in the new theatre, and Raisin in the Sun, Royal Family, and Oedipus Complex in the Bowmar. We'll only be there three nights, so once again our time will be filled with theatre -- no extra time --except we'll certainly find time to eat some good meals.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Patrick, did you know that the Riverside Inn is in the E-Book for $54/night? We get two rooms there. I just get the biggest kick out of this cheap rate, I can hardly stand it. It's only on Sun.-Thurs., tho. We always request the same rooms, or in the same area. The last time we were there I was pleased to see that they had added a continental breakfast also.

I'm kind of a fanatic about the place. The had nice pastries, juice, teas, coffee set out with the fire going in the lobby. My sons went crazy buying souvenirs for their grandparents at that cool River Rock Cafe gift shop. I got my camera out and started shooting pictures of the lobby, the canoe that's above the entrance, and got lots of cool shots of my kids with the bridge in the background. I'm intrigued by the Rogue River, also. Have you heard of the place called the Weasku Inn? I'd like to try it sometime but can't pass up that rate at the Riverside.

Now, you will adore the Ashland Springs Hotel. I love that place! I keep the brochures and all the room amenities in my office so I can look at them all the time. When we first started going there they had a bellman open the front door which was really cool. You must take the time to pay attention to all the detail of this place.

The lobby is just gorgeous! I do have to say that the rooms are on the small side, but so nicely done. We once were given one of their suites on the fifth floor (don't stay next to the ice machine) which was very large with a huge bathroom. We got that room for $79/night with some coupons they were giving out. But they don't give them out anymore, it was only for a short amount of time.

When we don't get to stay there, I'll tell my husband I need to use the restroom, right around Ashland and we stop just so I can go through the lobby and linger around. It's a real fixation with this place. Have a great time, I hope we get to see a play this summer. Have you had that fudge at the Ashland Fudge Co? It's some of the best I have ever had. And Lithia Park is so beautiful with those swans. Do you think I like Ashland? LOL ***kim***
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Just want to add my 2 cents worth in support of the Gorge, Hood River and Mt. Hood loop. Another option, however, for wine-lovers, is a drive through the Yamhill Valley wine country, home of some of the world's best pinots, without question. It's only about 20 miles SW of Portland, and is replete with great wineries, good restaurants and B&B's. You'll love it! Do a Google search for Oregon Wines, and you'll get more info than you need. Have fun!
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM

As Gardyloo wrote, September is a little early for fall foliage except at higher elevations. But the absence of fall color doesn't make the gorge any less spectacular.

If you enjoy Pinot, Oregon's wine country is within an hour's drive of Portland. There are a number of small towns in the area (Dundee, Yamhill, Carlton) and some nice B&B's, but nothing that I imagine would hold your attention for more than a day or so. Maybe combine this with a night or two along the coast.